Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cheap corner weighting kit
Edwardo

posted on 6/10/15 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
When mine first arrived I checked them with my weight against our pretty accurate bathroom scales. They all read very slightly differently but all were within about 0.2kg of the 81.2Kg reading on the bathroom scales - so was happy with that.

First thing I weighed in the garage was the fully dressed Injection Pinto engine+gearbox which is out of the car at the mo. Weighed it 3 times and each time got 186kg-188Kg which sounds about right from trawling the net (140Kg'ish for engine+40Kg'ish for box).

I found that a house brick was pretty much a spot on match height wise for the scales - so popped a couple under each wheel and rolled the car on and off. Again tried this about 3 times and got pretty much the same reading each time on the displays, which when totalled up didn't seem ridiculous as total weight at all.

I think with this you have to bear in mind the price of the scales. To be fair they are never going to be spot on accurate like the proper equipment.

I'm very happy with mine as I'm not planning to be getting heavily into corner weighting (no pun intended). All I really wanted to know is roughly whether my cheap low end kit car is going to be a 650kg fatty or a 700Kg+massive disappointment. Even if these cheap scales are 15-20kg out (hopefully they are more like only 5-10Kg out) - it still gave me a good idea which is what I wanted.

Cheers
Tony

snapper

posted on 7/10/15 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
Corner weighting a car by definition will change the Wright by moving the suspension up and down using available adjustments ( simple terms) by changing the Wright pressing down on 1 scale the Wright is shifted across the car
The gauge show an increase or decrease
You haven't changed the Weight of the car so the weight must go somewhere
To one of the other corners
Which one?
Move the single scale to each corner and weigh again
And again
And again
Trust me use 4 or book a room in advance to the latest asylum

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

hornetV2

posted on 7/10/15 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi John

Please keep us posted how you get on with the scales. As you say, it seems you may have one dodgy scale.

rodgling

posted on 7/10/15 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
The seller got back to me with some updated instructions on how to calibrate the scales:

1. Keep pressing the MODE button first, and then press the ON/OFF button to turn on the device untill the screen displays 000000.

2. Release the button, the screen will display E-00, press the MODE button again, the screen will display E1-25 (E2-50, E3-100).

3. Put on the corresponding weight( for 25, put a 25KG weight). When the screen display GOOD and turn off automatically, it means that the correction is finished.

Gave this a quick try on one of mine and it seems to work. Now I have the problem of finding a calibrated 100 kg weight... (actually I don't really mind too much as long as they all over- or under-read by the same amount)

Hope this helps.

johnH20

posted on 7/10/15 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Update. Prior to attempting any recalibration as above I did a further simple exercise this morning - weighing myself 10 times on each scale. Total spread of readings on my 'good' scale was 1.1 kg, spread on my ( previously ) 'dodgy' scale was 2.2 kg. Average for the former was 82.1 and for the latter 81.5. These numbers correlate with my mechanical bathroom scales ( 3 sets ). This is probably as good as I can expect on this equipment.
What is a bit baffling is the initial erratic reading of my 'dodgy' scale. I cannot understand why 'running in' an electronic device should have an effect but it seems this is what has happened in my case. I plan one further test to double my body weight with added sand bags to see if there are discrepancies at higher loads. Watch this space.

cosmicicecreamman

posted on 7/10/15 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Corner weighting a car by definition will change the Wright by moving the suspension up and down using available adjustments ( simple terms) by changing the Wright pressing down on 1 scale the Wright is shifted across the car
The gauge show an increase or decrease
You haven't changed the Weight of the car so the weight must go somewhere
To one of the other corners
Which one?
Move the single scale to each corner and weigh again
And again
And again
Trust me use 4 or book a room in advance to the latest asylum

Totally agree!!!

You will also need to ensure your surface that you are putting each scale on is level. A spirit level is not accurate enough - build a water level, label each corner and the corresponding scale to ensure that scale always goes to the same corner, and shim under each scale until they are perfectly level.

You will also need to disconnect anti roll bars to ensure there are no external loading affecting the corner weight reading.

johnH20

posted on 7/10/15 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Update 2. My last check done, me and the sandbags. Each bag weighed separately for a combined 82 kg. Weighed together 84 kg plus me (82 kg ) weighed 167 kg ( average of 2 scales ). So some nonlinearity there but not too serious. I have repeated all yesterdays car weighings with scales now seemingly stabilised after yesterdays erratic results. After ignoring the first result in a series, which always seems to be off, I can get repeatable results in a series of 5 within +/- 1 kg over 200. I seem to have a discrepancy of 5 kg between scales at this point, so that seems to be the limit of accuracy with this equipment.
My conclusion is this is good enough for our kind of activity. I still don't know what the absolute accuracy is in the absence of suitable calibrated weights, but in corner weighting we are looking for differences so I am not too troubled. I now have to get down to the real work.

hornetV2

posted on 7/10/15 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks John

I agree for the cost of these items, they provide a reasonable check. Fandangos car was 32kg out, so if these can get you to within a few Kg, then they are worth it.

mark chandler

posted on 7/10/15 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt you would ever notice a 5kg discrepancy, drop a wheel by a couple of mm and you will see that, so unless the roads you drive on are glass flat it will not show up.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.