Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Corded Drill Recommendations
SteveWallace

posted on 29/2/16 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Corded Drill Recommendations

Around 25 years ago I bought a good quality Black & Decker mains powered hammer drill. This has lasted me through three house moves and one and a half car builds, but it's finally decided to give up the ghost. It's drilled many thousands of holes in all sorts of materials and I'm almost shedding a tear at its loss

I have a battery powered drill but I want to replace the B&D for those harder jobs. I want something that will last, not the cr*p that's mostly sold these days that gives up just after the end of the guarantee period.

What would the collective recommend?

Irony

posted on 29/2/16 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Screwfix Cheapy Tital SDS drill. I have renovated one house and started another with. Its not clever but it has drill, drill/hammer and plain old hammer. The hammer function is great for removing tiles, chasing out sockets and generally wrecking stuff.

I doubt it would stand up to daily use by a professional builder but for a enthusiastic amateur like me it's been great. Just look at the reviews.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb278sds-5kg-sds-drill-230-240v/97533

I actually have the smaller version. But the reviews of that one are just as good.

HowardB

posted on 29/2/16 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
metabo,.....mine is 25 years old and still swings a 6" diamond hole saw without issue

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 29/2/16 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've had one of the following with a screw chuck(hand do up), then I had to replace it after the robin hood build and got the one where you need to chuck key. the reason to replace was that the chuck started to wobble a bit, I reckon down to me pushing to hard being impatient drilling stainless over and over.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-con1200-contractor-hammer-drill/

theconrodkid

posted on 29/2/16 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for screwfix titan tools,they are prob the same as better known brands but a lot cheaper and do the job just as well.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

gregs

posted on 29/2/16 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming for DIY - Hitachi sds - about £100, best drill ive ever had and effortless through most materials.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.