Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any Horticulturalists on Here
John P

posted on 28/7/18 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Any Horticulturalists on Here

My wife has found a plant / weed in the garden which she can't seem to identify and suspects it may have come from seed dropped by a bird.

It's around 750 mm tall and looks to me (my wife doesn't agree) something like a courgette plant but with white flowers and a more upright habit.

After the blooms fade a spiky bud / fruit is formed and these are around the size of a small hens egg

I've attached a couple of pictures in the hope someone will recognize it. I'd just let it grow and see what happens but she's concerned it could be poisonous

Description
Description

Description
Description

John.

russbost

posted on 28/7/18 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a Datura, they make a spectacular, quite sizeable shrub, but aren't truly hardy so will die off in winter if not protected.

They are very poisonous so don't let kids or animals eat it! I was told by our guide in Cuba that they make "datura tea" & get high on it, but sounds a bit dodgy eating poison!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Slater

posted on 28/7/18 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
You've got to love this forum.....ask a question on any subject and you'll get a good answer.

Wikipedia exert says it is indeed quite dangerous if ingested. I wonder what the bird was feeling?

"Effects of ingestion
Due to the potent combination of anticholinergic substances it contains, Datura intoxication typically produces effects similar to that of an anticholinergic delirium (usually involving a complete inability to differentiate reality from fantasy); hyperthermia; tachycardia; bizarre, and possibly violent behavior; and severe mydriasis (dilated pupils) with resultant painful photophobia that can last several days. Pronounced amnesia is another commonly reported effect.[19]

In Pharmacology and Abuse of Cocaine, Amphetamines, Ecstasy and Related Designer Drugs, Freye asserts: Few substances have received as many severely negative recreational experience reports as has Datura. The overwhelming majority of those who describe their use of Datura find their experiences extremely unpleasant both mentally and often physically dangerous.[19] However, anthropologists have found that indigenous groups, with a great deal of experience with and detailed knowledge of Datura, have been known to use Datura spiritually (including the Navajo and especially the Havasupai).[20][21] The knowledge of Datura's properties was critical to minimize harm.[6] Datura was used to locate missing objects by southern Paiute Indians."

Maybe wise to dig it up, I think....

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

rf900rush

posted on 28/7/18 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Found this

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=536

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John P

posted on 29/7/18 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice.

I think we'll probably dig it out before there's any risk of it seeding and before my wife decides to cook me a thorn apple pie.

John.

russbost

posted on 29/7/18 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
We used to have one which we bought from a garden centre, they are a recognised plant (not really sure why they are calling it a weed?), it's highly unlikely to spread & as said will almost certainly die off in the winter. They do produce spectacular flowers, just don't let kids eat them!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Angel Acevedo

posted on 1/8/18 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
It is called also Toloache or Burundanga.
Used for "Love Potions" and rape.
The problem with tea made from flowers is that therapeutic concentration is very close to deadly concentration.
And there is no easy way to determine concentration as active substance content varies from flower to flower.
Being a tropical plant it is strange for me to see it thriving in england, although some reading confirms blooms on warmer summers.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.