Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bike fuel pump - what size fuse?
harmchar

posted on 2/1/22 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
bike fuel pump - what size fuse?

Evening all, not been asking questions for a while so might start New Year with a new topic.
I'm in the process of fitting zzr1100 carbs to the pinto. Ordered a universal bike fuel pump from eBay and it's arrived with no details of how much load it will draw. Which means I have no idea of wire gauge or fuse to install. What gauge cable have you guys fitted?
Don't think pump will draw much more than 20amps as the wife tales on the pump are no more than 2mmsq.
Thanks in advance.

ReMan

posted on 3/1/22 at 02:44 AM Reply With Quote
I'd guess 5A draw, I can't find a spec for them /. So wire as 10/20 then fuse 5/10 IMHO

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 3/1/22 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Errrr... 20A would be good for a sizeable fuel injection pump, my Bosch 044 ran that fuse (methanol GSXR turbo), probably drawing ca. 15A or so.

You should have a low pressure pump on the carbs, probably drawing around 2A or so, unless it's a biggie. 5A fuse probably, perhaps a 10A fuse (at the very, very most (wire protection).

harmchar

posted on 3/1/22 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
It is a low pressure pump for bike carbs. I found a supplier of a very similar pump late last night and he states it's 1.5 amps. So my 10 amp cable and 3 amp fuse should be good. Cheers.
gremlin1234

posted on 4/1/22 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harmchar
It is a low pressure pump for bike carbs. I found a supplier of a very similar pump late last night and he states it's 1.5 amps. So my 10 amp cable and 3 amp fuse should be good. Cheers.

I think I would use a larger fuse, probably 6A, or 7.5A. you have a good enough cable, and this circuit is critical,
[pump stops, you stop, even in the outside lane of a motorway]
fuse protects the wiring not the component.
when electric fuel pumps first came in they were not fused...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.