Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sadly won a bet, kinda
Mr Whippy

posted on 14/6/22 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly won a bet, kinda

So I had a bet going at work around the start of the year that petrol would be £2 a litre by the end of the year. They were so confident they each put £10 on and yet today they just gave me the money and its only June I did try a new bet that it would be at least £2.50 by the end of the year but didn't have any takers (although in London that has already been that high)

I'm using my little Fiesta which due to old habits I only fill with £20 at a time and find I'm now having to do that once a week even though I'm not going above 55mph! but looking at the chart below I can see why -

At this point I've lost all interest in fast cars or the Robinhood in the garage knowing it would do no better than 20mpg, at a push. Although I am very very glad I sold the Landy when I did

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 14/6/22 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I’m using my old 166k Fiesta and that only does 28 to the gallon

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

SteveWalker

posted on 14/6/22 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
I work for an engineering company and we successfully worked from home from March 2020 to September 2021. Then they took us back into the office part time. Now, thanks to the work being government funded and Rees-Mogg kicking off about attendance, they have upped it to 3 days a week. What a waste of time and money commuting and what an unnecessary contribution to congestion, pollution and stress.
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/6/22 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
I work for an engineering company and we successfully worked from home from March 2020 to September 2021. Then they took us back into the office part time. Now, thanks to the work being government funded and Rees-Mogg kicking off about attendance, they have upped it to 3 days a week. What a waste of time and money commuting and what an unnecessary contribution to congestion, pollution and stress.

Totally agree, I'm still working 2 days a week from home, the main justification is cost of fuel. We worked for almost 2 years from home and the business didn't suffer at all. In fact we now seem to have gone back to our stupid ways of having meetings in meeting rooms wasting peoples time rather than over Teams, just because the rooms are there. I've told the folk working for me they must do at least 2 days at home, some do 4.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 15/6/22 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker

Totally agree, I'm still working 2 days a week from home, the main justification is cost of fuel. We worked for almost 2 years from home and the business didn't suffer at all. In fact we now seem to have gone back to our stupid ways of having meetings in meeting rooms wasting peoples time rather than over Teams, just because the rooms are there. I've told the folk working for me they must do at least 2 days at home, some do 4.

Snap

but a least for me its less than 10min in the car - just as well when I'm only getting 24mpg

-

russbost

posted on 15/6/22 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Very glad now I switched to an electric car when I did last year! Whilst they are completely taking the p1ss at commercial charging points, more than doubling the cost per kW in some cases (makes the rise in petrol & diesel prices look like a bargain!), but I & the vast majority of the EV community charge overnight on cheap leccy when demand is low. I still get a full charge, 300 miles at this time of year, around 220 to 240 during the Winter months) for £3.20

I don't think even the most economic petrol or diesel is going far on £3.20!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Slimy38

posted on 15/6/22 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
I used to do around 20k a year on a turbo petrol Saab, so I switched to a diesel Superb... literally one month before lockdown happened!! It's the first time I've ever bought a diesel as it was the first time I've ever felt the need for one, and now I reckon I've done maybe 10k miles since Covid hit.

The last time I filled it up I got to £96, and with the last few increases I reckon I'm now in danger of exceeding the pay-at-pump prepayment limit.

Thankfully my work is entirely WFH, I have been to the office twice since lockdown lifted and both times it was more to be sociable than any work related requirement.

nick205

posted on 15/6/22 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Energy seems to be biting pretty hard and looks to bite harder in the future!

Driving wise, I'm not allowed to right now (epilepsy) so it's buses and trains for me. Fares have risen to follow inflation and energy cost increases. I notice fewer and fewer people spending money at the train station coffee kiosks.

Sadly epilepsy stops me road cycling as well otherwise I'd cycle to/from work, particulalrly in the good weather. I suspect the increasing fuel prices may encourage more people onto their feet or cycles for short journeys/commutes. Maybe fuel price will bring about behavioural chnages in some people. My local bike shops are certainly seeing increases in sales of new commuter type bikes.

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/6/22 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

The last time I filled it up I got to £96, and with the last few increases I reckon I'm now in danger of exceeding the pay-at-pump prepayment limit.

There's a few at work had this issue, quite amazing. I bet when they put that £99 limit on the card pumps they never thought it wouldn't be enough! Not sure what it would take to fill my car, probably £50-60?

quote:
Originally posted by Srussbost

Very glad now I switched to an electric car when I did last year! Whilst they are completely taking the p1ss at commercial charging points, more than doubling the cost per kW in some cases (makes the rise in petrol & diesel prices look like a bargain!), but I & the vast majority of the EV community charge overnight on cheap leccy when demand is low. I still get a full charge, 300 miles at this time of year, around 220 to 240 during the Winter months) for £3.20

Yeah I wish I had two but had to donate my Leaf to the wife and getting another EV is now too expensive, their just going up in value even second hand ones We don't even consider the EV's running costs in the bills it's so low. It was a bit of a shock to go back to petrol and pumps after a year of driving it.

BenB

posted on 15/6/22 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
EVs are great- as said the issue is the rip off fast chargers. Where I work the local council had installed lots of nice lamppost 7kw chargers. They cost 24p/kWh. Recently they got rid of all of them and installed 2 super fast chargers. Except it's 50p/kWh! And having two means they'll be constantly occupied. And my car won't charge that fast anyway so either I charge at home or I get to block the charger for days on end paying 4 times the actual cost of electricity.....
russbost

posted on 15/6/22 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
EVs are great- as said the issue is the rip off fast chargers. Where I work the local council had installed lots of nice lamppost 7kw chargers. They cost 24p/kWh. Recently they got rid of all of them and installed 2 super fast chargers. Except it's 50p/kWh! And having two means they'll be constantly occupied. And my car won't charge that fast anyway so either I charge at home or I get to block the charger for days on end paying 4 times the actual cost of electricity.....

Why would you ever charge away from home or destination unless you absolutely have to???

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/6/22 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
quote:

Why would you ever charge away from home or destination unless you absolutely have to???

Yeah, the only times I've used a fast charger is on very long trips, 99% of the time the cars fully charged overnight to 120miles range (old EV tech). I think this is one point that people who don't have a EV really misunderstand, probably because they are so use to filling their car up at a petrol station and not at home. They could charge £5 a kwh at a rapid charge point and could not careless tbh. I've found that most if not all of the 6kwh slow chargers are free to use still, very handy We went camping and on the site there was a couple of free chargers, I parked the car there overnight and got the whole weeks sightseeing and the return trip totally for free

[Edited on 15/6/22 by Mr Whippy]

David Jenkins

posted on 15/6/22 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I've been driving an EV for 4 years or so, 30 - 40K miles, and and have rarely used superfast chargers. I only use them when we visit relatives in Gloucester (from Suffolk), where we take a charge at Milton Keynes. It's a good halfway stop, and we can get a decent lunchtime snack while charging. The only major expedition was to Scotland, 1800 mile round trip in 2 weeks, so we used public chargers quite a lot... charging facilities in Scotland are very poor!

Lately I have found that a charge to 80% is still cheaper than the petrol/diesel for a similar range but, even if it was a bit more expensive, most of my charging is either from solar or off-peak at home, so I'm still quids in.

coyoteboy

posted on 15/6/22 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Prepayment limit has already been raised to 125. And it's still not enough for a tankful on my 370z

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/6/22 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Prepayment limit has already been raised to 125. And it's still not enough for a tankful on my 370z

and 20mpg, fantastic, hope that's not your daily driver?

David Jenkins

posted on 16/6/22 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
I guess that even the wealthy will be reluctant to drive their Rolls-Royces and Bentleys too much, with their sub-10mpg consumption and huge fuel tanks...
...in fact, anything that's sub-10mpg is going to be downright painful these days.

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/6/22 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Aye we'll be back to bubble cars before long...
chillis

posted on 16/6/22 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I guess that even the wealthy will be reluctant to drive their Rolls-Royces and Bentleys too much, with their sub-10mpg consumption and huge fuel tanks...
...in fact, anything that's sub-10mpg is going to be downright painful these days.

If you're rich enough to own one you're not gonna worry how much it cost to fill up.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

David Jenkins

posted on 16/6/22 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chillis
If you're rich enough to own one you're not gonna worry how much it cost to fill up.

But they will get peeved when they have to go back to the till a couple of times to authorise each £120 instalment!

(My previous comment was tongue in cheek, BTW)

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/6/22 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Well I don't know about that, they are quite cheap cars when over 10 years old due to their mental deprecation rate. Now instead of being used by folk with more limited budgets they will just go to the breakers. Same applies to Range Rovers and the like.

[Edited on 16/6/22 by Mr Whippy]

Dingz

posted on 19/6/22 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Mr Whippy I would be very interested to see you add another line on your graph showing the cost of crude oil if possible I think it would show an interesting story.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

David Jenkins

posted on 19/6/22 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
It's not just that the cost of fuel has gone up around the world - it's also because the Pound has gone down in value against the Dollar, and oil is paid for in Dollars. This means that it takes more Pounds to buy a barrel of oil.

Our greedy government doesn't help, as the majority of the cost of a litre of fuel is tax in various forms. My daughter lives in Sydney, Australia, and she was moaning that their petrol now costs almost 2 Aussie Dollars per litre - that's about £1.13p. The Aussie government are keen on tax collection in all sorts of ways, but they're not as greedy as ours.

nick205

posted on 20/6/22 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
quote:

Well I don't know about that, they are quite cheap cars when over 10 years old due to their mental deprecation rate. Now instead of being used by folk with more limited budgets they will just go to the breakers. Same applies to Range Rovers and the like.

[Edited on 16/6/22 by Mr Whippy]

Mr Whippy - agree with you here.

There's some folk down my way bought a 16 year old Range Rover. I didn't ask the purchase price, but it probably wasn't a massive amount. From the sound of it it's a V8 burbler and petrol so must be thirsty on fuel (and dear on road tax). Strangely enough as the price of fuel has gone up and up their mileage seems to have gone down and down.

What might seem a bargain to buy may bite you back when it comes to running costs!

nick205

posted on 20/6/22 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
It's not just that the cost of fuel has gone up around the world - it's also because the Pound has gone down in value against the Dollar, and oil is paid for in Dollars. This means that it takes more Pounds to buy a barrel of oil.

Our greedy government doesn't help, as the majority of the cost of a litre of fuel is tax in various forms. My daughter lives in Sydney, Australia, and she was moaning that their petrol now costs almost 2 Aussie Dollars per litre - that's about £1.13p. The Aussie government are keen on tax collection in all sorts of ways, but they're not as greedy as ours.

David - my SWMBO is American by birth and nationality with planty of family there. When we've had the chance to visit them we (as Brits) marvel at the low price of fuel. When we tell them how much fuel costs in the UK they really struggle to believe us!

David Jenkins

posted on 20/6/22 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
David - my SWMBO is American by birth and nationality with planty of family there. When we've had the chance to visit them we (as Brits) marvel at the low price of fuel. When we tell them how much fuel costs in the UK they really struggle to believe us!

I saw a news item recently where someone from Libya (or similar North African country) was complaining that the cost of their petrol had gone up to around 25 pence per litre! It's another world...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.