Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Broken Brain
dextavier

posted on 28/9/05 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Broken Brain

Well, I bought the book, read through the forums, decided what I want to build, and now my head is about ready to explode!

I'm looking to build a middy with a Rover V8 and while I've prety much figured out the design of the chassis, I still can't seem to find what gearbox would be best to use (assuming I use the standard 3.9l V8). And once the gearbox is decided, what would be the best way to link everything up (engine, gearbox, gear change mechanism)?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers in advance!

Fred W B

posted on 28/9/05 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum, check this out
Cheers

Fred WB
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=27337

DorsetStrider

posted on 28/9/05 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the mad house.

I had the same query a while back and someone helpfully posted a link for me.

I'll try to find it and post it tonight when the boss aint watching ;O)

Who the f**K tightened this up!

Lotusmark2

posted on 28/9/05 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
May be wrong but I think lotus used a renault trans in the esprit so may be worth a dig.
G.Man

posted on 28/9/05 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I thought that the renault 25 transaxle was the best option..

But there are some very nice quaife transaxles if you have the cash to spare...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

kb58

posted on 28/9/05 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Look here.
http://www.spagweb.com/v8mini/v8fools/index.htm

There are several FWD V8 Minis and those assemblies could just be moved back.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andygtt

posted on 28/9/05 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
the audi box seems to following on as the box of choice for the mild powered V8 (ie up to 400bhp).....

you should also consider the audi V8 due as these can be picked up for around £1k and produce more power than the rover V8.... also may fit up to the audi box easier

Andy

please redefine your limits.

tadltd

posted on 28/9/05 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
The Audi unit is ideal. I happen to be able to supply 2 of them... Might keep one for myself tho'...

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Garbrand

posted on 29/9/05 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Audi gearboxes and two-wheel drive

Regarding those Audi V8's -- I understood (from my research on using the engine) the standard Audi box can not cope with the torque of the V8 when not used with the four-wheel drive system.

I've got that information from this article. Note that this article is about the 01E transmission, used up to about '91 I believe.

Now if somebody could please prove me wrong, I know what will be powering my build....

Garagistes!

dextavier

posted on 29/9/05 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the replies everyone - that's cleared things up a bit, now I just need to trawl the local scrappys until I find what I'm looking for!

Having said that, are there any companies that supply complete engine and transaxles ready to 'stick in' - because having looked at Fred's flywheel I'm thinking I may be getting out of my depth here?

Hmm, my brain still hurts...

andygtt

posted on 29/9/05 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know the numbers for the audi boxs but there are ones that can take 400bhp.
My belief is that these are modern boxs (up to 5yrs old). There are std model audi that produce over 400bhp as std through twin turbos and latelly the V8's.

I have a couple of friends that are using Audi boxs in their mid engined 400+bhp cars (bmw V12 and audi V8) so I'll ask them what the score is.

That article isn't entirelly correct in all its detail and assumptions regarding Porsche boxs. I'm using a Porsche box as it's realistically the only box that can take 500+ reliably IMO.. but not all of the porsche range are suitable (G50 is safest proven bet).

Andy

Garbrand

posted on 30/9/05 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
From what I understand BHP is not the problem, it is the torque that will kill the box... The four wheel drive system splits of half the torque in the Audis. The save bet is always the G50, it can handle amazing loads. If you could check with your friends, please! The Audi boxes are plentiful and cheap...

Garagistes!

andygtt

posted on 30/9/05 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
The BMW V12 produces more torque than BHP (its one of my major concerns and the main drive for me spending money to get mine to rev at the expense of low down power.)
so if can cope with 400bhp on a V12 an american V8 will be no roblem....
I'll ask the question when I next speak to them.

Me personnely I'm sticking with the porsche route, especially as I have the ideal box and have already sorted the adapter etc...... and I know the audi will never cope with my twin turbo V12.

Andy

Garbrand

posted on 1/10/05 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
The G50 is a very wise choice for that V12. Looks amazing, chassis is looking good to.

Curious how you are going to control your BMW V12, the stock BMW systems are notoriously difficult to tinker with -- especially with the drive-by-wire system. I'm keeping an eye on your build Andy, very interesting!

Garagistes!

thomas4age

posted on 6/10/05 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hey all,

the torque at a certain inputshaft speed vs traction on the ground rips the teeth.

that's it!

if all is at standstill and you dumpclutch, or instruct enourmous amounts of energy via the clutch towards the gearbox, and the wheels can't move, that amount of energy is looking for a way out. thus the box dies, or the other weakest link in the drive train, luckily for us it's most of the time the traction from the tyres, but if that;s very good./...... well goodby gearbox!

grtz thomas

andygtt

posted on 6/10/05 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garbrand
The G50 is a very wise choice for that V12. Looks amazing, chassis is looking good to.

Curious how you are going to control your BMW V12, the stock BMW systems are notoriously difficult to tinker with -- especially with the drive-by-wire system. I'm keeping an eye on your build Andy, very interesting!

I have purchased a Motec M800 unit and am junking everthing to do with the BMW loom and ecu (might link to some of the engine sensors though).

I'm actually not using the G50, but the box fitted to the GT2/3 and twin turbo... its cable shift but uses large diff G50 style internals. This box takes 600ftlb in the GT2 indurance race cars.

But comming back on thread the porsche box is not a budget option for a 400bhp engine but is a must have IMO above 450-500bhp.

Andy

thomas4age

posted on 6/10/05 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Or get a renault UN1 gearbox, and the Upgrade first motion shaft from Bell performance. they're very very strong indeed, and keep up well above 500HP and V8 troque caracteristics.

that would be way cheaper than any porshe box, let alone getting the clutch kit which goes with a G50,

I will get one off these set-ups for my next toy v8 project, in a turner LMP

grtz thomas

Fred W B

posted on 6/10/05 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy

Had a look at your archive, looks like a very nice car you have coming together there.

Just curious, do you still have the Ultima, and if not, why have you decided to replace it with this project?

Cheers

Fred WB

andygtt

posted on 6/10/05 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
The Ultima was awsome, but I want more.... you have to remember the Ultima chassis is a 20yr old design now and I also want a real GT car ie one thats easy to get in and you don't get out smelling of petrol after every journey.
Also windows etc would be nice.
Basically I want a Porsche GT or Zonda.... only faster and for less than Ultima money.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Andy

tadltd

posted on 6/10/05 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Thomas - did you get my U2U?

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

Peteff

posted on 6/10/05 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
I want a Porsche GT or Zonda.... only faster and for less than Ultima money.

You want to wake up, smell the coffee and realise that reality sucks mate. Throwing money at something isn't what it's about, look at the title. I think it's getting too easy to lose the basic idea of Locost builders. I admit nobody's going to do it for £250 any more but you are talking 10's of thousands of pounds.

[Edited on 6/10/05 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

RazMan

posted on 7/10/05 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I think it's getting too easy to lose the basic idea of Locost builders. I admit nobody's going to do it for £250 any more but you are talking 10's of thousands of pounds.

Agreed, it is possibly stretching the basic principle of the Locost philosphy, but we must remember that this is posted in the Middy section which is, by nature, a little distance away too

The Ultima already has loads of performance for less than most supercars money, but I believe that it is possible to do it for a lot less - in fact I am hoping to get close to a mildly tuned Ultima with my Aeon GT (approx 380bhp per ton (with gas)

So go for it ...... if you can afford it

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

andygtt

posted on 7/10/05 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
You want to wake up, smell the coffee and realise that reality sucks mate. Throwing money at something isn't what it's about, look at the title. I think it's getting too easy to lose the basic idea of Locost builders. I admit nobody's going to do it for £250 any more but you are talking 10's of thousands of pounds.

[Edited on 6/10/05 by Peteff]

Is your opening gambit supposed to be an insult?
I'd agree my GT project is hardly locost compared to a book caterfield.... however I am definatelly building a Locost ultima equivelent.... and I am definatelly not in dream land with my goals.

And the whole locost ideal is not lost on me.... my MK Indy kit arrives tommorrow, is that Locost enough for you?

Andy

Peteff

posted on 7/10/05 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Not an insult, just a jibe.

I think you should specify that you want a Porsche GT or Zonda replacement or lookalike for less than Ultima money. Sorry if it sounded insulting. I hope you have every success with whatever you end up building and hope it fulfils your wishes.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

andygtt

posted on 7/10/05 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
OK so overreaction alert on my part
To be fair I do realise that my GT project is pushing the locost boundaries which is why I've not started a thread about it despite the thread hijacks.

To clear it up, its a concept I am aiming for and wont be a replica of anything.

Oh did I mention I bought the BMW V12 for £10.51?

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.