Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mid engined gearbos options?
pk

posted on 2/3/06 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Mid engined gearbos options?

I'm in the planning stages of a mid engined project at the moment and wondered what gearboxes are most popular? i have a WRX Scooby engine that i want to use. It will give goop power is reasonably light and is very short iseal some would say but what gearbox should i use?
Nick Skidmore

posted on 2/3/06 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Rovers with Renault 25 or 30 transaxles.

Audi setup has been popular.

VW upside down as per Hewland but can be weak

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
violentblue

posted on 2/3/06 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
porsche 915 has been used with the WRX engine in many different porsche replicas with some success, and there are company's that make the cadapter for it

a few pics of my other projects

JonBowden

posted on 2/3/06 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just tried the link to your project at http://www.dsswebdesign.com/ but the address does not seem to exist.

Jon

kreb

posted on 2/3/06 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
errrrrrr, why not use the scooby trans? The only negatives I can think of are that there's quite a bit of overhang to the rear of the half-shafts, and that gearbox doesn't take tons of abuse in WRX guise, but with the lowered weight of a homebuilt midi, the strain should be lessened.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1966_FiatAbarth_1000SP1.jpg

locost_bryan

posted on 3/3/06 at 03:31 AM Reply With Quote
The Saker RSC uses the Subaru motor and box - plenty of upgraded internals from the rally world - race in US and Holland. Gearbox outlasts engine.

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

tigris

posted on 3/3/06 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
subaru

use a subaru fwd trans, has same bits as awd. the trans should be up to more abuse because its only driving 2 wheels in a much lighter car.
violentblue

posted on 3/3/06 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden
Just tried the link to your project at http://www.dsswebdesign.com/ but the address does not seem to exist.

I didn't renew the web address this year, I just haven't got around to fixing the link yet.

a few pics of my other projects

v8kid

posted on 7/3/06 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
The renault UN1 box (R25) is handy cos you can turn it upside down to get the output shafts higher than the input shafts a just like hewland - should mention its dead easy to reverse the diff. Disadvantage is the huge overhang at the rear there must be a couple of feet of box behind the output shafts
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kamikza

posted on 13/3/06 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
what is scobby engine
jestre

posted on 13/3/06 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
A scooby engine...AKA Subaru nickname

-=too much horsepower is just enough=-

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pk

posted on 14/3/06 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the ideas. My 1st choice at the moment would be the scooby box. Does anyone know what Saker do to the box when fitting it to the RSC. It looks like they remove the drive to the rear and fit a cover plate? Photo's or a section of the box would be very helpful!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.