Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welcome to Great Britain.....police state.
DorsetStrider

posted on 7/3/06 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to Great Britain.....police state.

Tell me again exactly WHY we fought 2 world wars?

http://cars.msn.co.uk/carnews/speedcameras7mar06/

Who the f**K tightened this up!

britishtrident

posted on 7/3/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Just wait for what the US is demanding -- GPS integrated with the cars ECUs that are interogated via satallite phone link they won't need speed cameras.

Anti handheld mobile phone cameras might be a very good idea -- provide it was an instant short disqualification rather than a fine or points.

Browser

posted on 7/3/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
So they want to nail people for not wearing seatbelts and using handheld mobile phones whilst driving, two fairly serious offences. Your point is?
DorsetStrider

posted on 7/3/06 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
While I have no problem with people not wearing seat belts or using mobiles whilst driving being prosecuted since both are at best reckless and at worse downright dangerous.

My problem is that once more our civil liberties are being erroded in the pursuit of turning britain into a police state. I am particularly concerned by this quote...

"Mr Gifford claims that such use will catch multiple offenders, citing the fact that the 7/7 bombers traveled to Luton station by car. He told the Guardian newspaper that for, "the greater good of society," people should accept, "a slight reduction of our liberty"."

Is there any evidence that these bombers were using mobiles whilst driving or not wearing seat belts? Even if they were/weren't I fail to see how issuing them with a fine and points on their license 4 weeks after they blew themselves up would help.

This is just another case of big brother watching combined with a stealth tax.

Simon

posted on 7/3/06 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Browser

On the way to work this morning, I was about to pull out onto main road (turning right) - to the left is a traffic light controlled ped crossing - with a RED light showing, this dopey cow drove straight through it. Followed her 150 up road and she went straight through the next red.

Only reason for cameras is Gordon Brown and screwed up the economy so much that he needs to raise as much tax as poss.

If that's not the case, why send someone to jail for not paying council tax, but only fining someone who kills/maims in a crash.

ATB

Simon

PS Gordon Brown - the man who has single handedly killed off final salary pensions (with taxes totalling over £50,000,000,000 - yeah BILLION over the last 9 years) - except, of course, his own

suparuss

posted on 7/3/06 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
was it hitler who once said- if you want complete control over the people to slowly take away their freedom so they wont notice.
anyone who argues these days get arrested under the new terrorism laws. and if we even mention immigrants getting 50k worth of benefits while the old ww2 vet across the road cant afford his gas bill then we are citing racial hatred.

zxrlocost

posted on 7/3/06 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think people would have such a big issue about these things if there was no crime you could walk the street without feeling like just for catching eye sight with someone theyll stab you to death
rape assault etc etc need I go on

this country is pathetic and the sooner I make my money the quicker I will be gone

how can a company announce record profits then find a sorrowful reason why they need a 25% price increase

and us dumb british just allow it
oh its only another 4 quid etc etc

kerching kerching kerching!!!!!

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Peteff

posted on 8/3/06 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
the sooner I make my money the quicker I will be gone

Go now and make it somewhere else.......

I walked up the street and counted as I went, it's just something I tend to do now and out of 15 cars that went past me 6 drivers were using handheld phones. They know it's illegal yet they still do it, why do they think it doesn't apply to them? I live on a junction with a school crossing and people fetching their kids from school sit in the front with their belts on and the kids are climbing round in the back without restraint, should they be told it's illegal, some of them probably never read a highway code since they passed their test.

[Edited on 8/3/06 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stevebubs

posted on 8/3/06 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Browser
So they want to nail people for not wearing seatbelts and using handheld mobile phones whilst driving, two fairly serious offences. Your point is?

Why stop there and not put a camera pointing into your front room to make sure you don't do drugs, copy CDs or do anything else illegal...?

Biggest problem is with the government. Instead of tackling a social problem, they legislate and make it illegal. Then when it gets ignored because the root hasn't been dealt with, they find ways to make sure the easy targets are caught...

[Edited on 8/3/06 by stevebubs]

NS Dev

posted on 8/3/06 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
That's exactly it, we are turning into an over-legislated nanny state, where all innovation will be stifled, and the economy will gradually grind into the ground through lack of progress.

Current government policy promotes sitting on ones arse and waiting for things to happen for us. We know that we will ultimately be bailed out by our trusty government, so why bother working or doing anything productive.....

hey, lets all just sit down and do eff all, that way we can't break any laws, or get sued for making somebody trip over and cut their little finger.

legislate legilate legislate, what a load of cobblers.

How about this for an idea!!!???!!!!

Instead of catching the easy target motorists using phones "illegally", pass the responsibiility on to them as to whether it is safe to do so. It's utter CRAP that the act of holding a phone to the ear makes us drive badly. Hey, maybe moving the gear lever is dangerous, and for goodness sake save use from the perils of manipulating a steering wheel!

For flips sake, do the wondrous creators of out legislation really think that we are so bleeding stupid that we will fall for a law that says holding an inanimate object near to our heads whilst driving is illegal, but talking into the same object via remote microphone is not???????????????? How flipping stupid are we supposed to be. No wonder our brains are turing to mush.

PASS ON THE RESPONSIBILITY!!!!!!

Simple, using a phone whilst driving should be perfectly legal, it is insane to think otherwise as any law is unenforcible and totally ridiculous.

What should be illegal is driving like a twat. If you knock somebody down and kill them because you were distracted by your phone, handheld, hands free or whatever, you should be made to face the consequences. If you use your phone wisely and don't have an accident, then good, keep it up. Reduce the NUMBER of penalties issued, but make the SEVERITY of those issued greater, dead simple and applies to almost all aspects of the law.

SURELY I can't be the only one who believes this???

Had enough ranting for now, will continue tomorrow, got too much still to do today and the clock says 00:56!

night!

[Edited on 8/3/06 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 8/3/06 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
PS, on seatbelts, if people want to hurl themselves though windscreens, let em, forget legislation again!!!

Natural selection works very well in nature, the unbelievably stupid tend to get wiped out.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

ed_crouch

posted on 8/3/06 at 02:35 AM Reply With Quote
I think Labour need to go next time...

I voted against them last time purely on transport policy.

I am sick and tired of the way motorists are treated. Yep, there are issues, but they need to be managed, not just used as another excuse to tax motorists.

The yanks seem ot have it beter, even though the road network AND most of their cars are pants!

Ed.

[Edited on 8/3/06 by ed_crouch]

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

nitram38

posted on 8/3/06 at 05:05 AM Reply With Quote
I don't understand all of the bleating!
Just wear your seatbelt and use a handsfree. Don't speed past speed cameras. Pretty simple really.
I don't mind people that do wish to ignore the law getting caught.
Pratts in bus lanes who cut you up on the inside, then won't let you over to that lane when the bus lane ends. Yesterday happened to me. I asked him why he did it and he said, "it's my licence".
Hopefully it will cost him for the 25 feet he gained. Should be about £4 per foot!

Seriously though, some people need their driving modified and sometimes financial methods work, no matter how much we moan.

David Jenkins

posted on 8/3/06 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
I would be a lot happier if they enforced all these laws - but had police out and about doing the nicking, instead of cameras. If I get caught by camera doing something wrong, then I resent it. If I do the same thing, but a policeman stops me, then "it's a fair cop, guv" and I'll just put up with it (unless he's totally out of order, but at least you can debate the point!)

Too many people flout motoring laws because they know they won't get stopped - every morning and evening I see at least 4 cars with one or more headlights out (often the same cars for weeks on end). In the days when we used to have police on the road on a regular basis (not THAT long ago) you'd expect to get nicked for a blown bulb within a week.

How many people would go without a seatbelt, use a mobile, or other offenses, if they knew that at some time during each day they'd be seen by at least one police car and would get pulled over?

These cameras are just a way to avoid having to pay for sufficient police...

Hands up all those who'd rather the billions spent in Afganistan and Iraq were spent on domestic issues like health, police, services...

David

jimmyjoebob

posted on 8/3/06 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
This is just the beginning. Wait till road pricing to further increase motorist's costs begins. No way the government would introduce new taxation without a considerable profit to themselves.

Remember also that labour wrecked the train network as trains were considered outdated. Seems they want cars to go the same way.

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

NS Dev

posted on 8/3/06 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I would be a lot happier if they enforced all these laws - but had police out and about doing the nicking, instead of cameras. If I get caught by camera doing something wrong, then I resent it. If I do the same thing, but a policeman stops me, then "it's a fair cop, guv" and I'll just put up with it (unless he's totally out of order, but at least you can debate the point!)

Too many people flout motoring laws because they know they won't get stopped - every morning and evening I see at least 4 cars with one or more headlights out (often the same cars for weeks on end). In the days when we used to have police on the road on a regular basis (not THAT long ago) you'd expect to get nicked for a blown bulb within a week.

How many people would go without a seatbelt, use a mobile, or other offenses, if they knew that at some time during each day they'd be seen by at least one police car and would get pulled over?

Hands up all those who'd rather the billions spent in Afganistan and Iraq were spent on domestic issues like health, police, services...

David

Whilst I don't believe that some of the laws should even exist to begin with (like the seatbelt thing) I wholeheartedly agree with the point above, police persons can make a judicious decision on the spot, cameras cannot.

More police, less stealth taxes.

zxrlocost

posted on 8/3/06 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
and there giving "citizens" speed cameras to hold at the end of the street

thatll give the"highlight of the week putting the bin out old brigade"
something to do

anything to gradually stop police all together and have cameras doing the work with mongoles who want to work for FREE!!!!

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

nitram38

posted on 8/3/06 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
quote:

David

Whilst I don't believe that some of the laws should even exist to begin with (like the seatbelt thing) I wholeheartedly agree with the point above, police persons can make a judicious decision on the spot, cameras cannot.

More police, less stealth taxes.

Do you prefer an eyewitness account or camera evidence then?
I was assaulted by some roadrage nut, The police came, said that it was my word against his even though I had injuries.
We went on our way.
I have since found out via solicitor that the police did not even log the event, but more than that, it is not up to the police over who is right or wrong, it is the cps.
They should have submitted a report for the cps to decide.
Is that the sort of decision you want to leave to the police?
At least photographic evidence is more reliable!

[Edited on 8/3/06 by nitram38]

NS Dev

posted on 8/3/06 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed, but what would the chances have been that that would have been caught on camera?

If it had, then great, but we can't record everything everywhere all the time. If we could, then the Matrix has become a reality.

Life is great, crap, a tw*t, amazing, awesome and everything else all at once. I could be killed by an axe wielding maniac tomorrow, but |'d still rather live a free life.

nitram38

posted on 8/3/06 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Agreed, but what would the chances have been that that would have been caught on camera?

If it had, then great, but we can't record everything everywhere all the time. If we could, then the Matrix has become a reality.

Life is great, crap, a tw*t, amazing, awesome and everything else all at once. I could be killed by an axe wielding maniac tomorrow, but |'d still rather live a free life.

Unfortunately we live in a society, not on our own on an island.
While I agree that I want to be free, there are those who do not give a damn about you or me.
How many people have you been carved up by who are using a mobile?
Just remember that a Locost is a little more naked than some dope in their 4 X 4

DorsetStrider

posted on 8/3/06 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

David

The only problem with that arguement is that you just KNOW that the money would be spent on more admin/accountants/civil servants than on doctors, nurses, teachers etc etc

NS Dev

posted on 8/3/06 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
quote:

Unfortunately we live in a society, not on our own on an island.
While I agree that I want to be free, there are those who do not give a damn about you or me.
How many people have you been carved up by who are using a mobile?
Just remember that a Locost is a little more naked than some dope in their 4 X 4

True, and unfortunate I suppose. I guess my ranting will make no odds anyway whatever happens so I may as well get on with things as they are!

cheers

Nat

Peteff

posted on 9/3/06 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
Did anyone see the woman on the news caught on camera putting her slap on while driving no hands. I bet she doesn't like cameras either. Here She wasn't even speeding.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

zxrlocost

posted on 9/3/06 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
we all do things illegal when were driving

infact old people dont do anything generally there just down right dangerous the majority

theconrodkid

posted on 9/3/06 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
sooooooooooooooo pete....how did they take a pic of penolipie pitstop if she wasnt speeding?
goes to prove they are watching your every move

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.