Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rolling road
APR

posted on 11/3/06 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
rolling road

got my car maped yesterday 2.0 blk top zetec with gsxr throttle bodies made 168 bhp at flywheel and 139 bhp at the wheels
mark.s

posted on 11/3/06 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
nice 1, who did the rolling toad for you?
the_fbi

posted on 11/3/06 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
What management?
GSX-R 750 bodies?
Whose manifold?

Nice result btw

the_fbi

posted on 11/3/06 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Running verniers so possibly different cams too
olv

posted on 11/3/06 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent result.

What sort of torque was it producing and what was the shape of the graph?

i'm currently weighing up vauxhall vs zetec power. can't make up my mind!

Also, what ecu are you running, megasquirt?

Keep thinking of more questions from your photo archive it looks like you were running twin 45s before, what sort of power were they producing?

Also how much was the rolling road setup?

Sorry lots of questions

[Edited on 11/3/06 by olv]

omega0684

posted on 11/3/06 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
where or who made your exhaust manifold for you looks very nice and shiny, i want one!

Alex

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 11/3/06 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
where or who made your exhaust manifold for you looks very nice and shiny, i want one!

Alex

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
APR

posted on 11/3/06 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
manifold by bogg bros
ecu is DTA ex48
exhaust was luego item
torque was up by 25lb with a smooth climb to rev limit at 7250
old zetec with twin 45s only produced 130bhp on same r/road.
cost of r/road was £250
std cams at this time and found no gain from verniers.
throttle bodies gsxr 750 k4
trumpets from merlin motorsport
r/r done by FRANKINSTIEN MOTORSPORT
heath and reach nr leighton buzzard.
didnt get a print out but they are sending me one and i will post it up.
Thanks to everyone who answerd all my questions during my build

[Edited on 11/3/06 by APR]

TheKingofBling

posted on 12/3/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
VX vs Zetec

Olv,

Go Vx route, your nearly get than power from a bog standard motor.

TheKingofBling

posted on 12/3/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
VX vs Zetec

Olv,

greggors84

posted on 12/3/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I take it they are recommended then! Will have to look them up when I get mine on the road.

Do you fancy coming over to Abingdon on tuesday for the Oxfordshire meet, show of your freshly tuned car!

EDIT: By the way, is one of your pictures in your archive taken on top of Dunstable Downs? If it is, its about 2 miles from where I live back home.

[Edited on 12/3/2006 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

APR

posted on 12/3/06 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
greggors84
yes it was dunstable downs the other car was adz h. abingdon is a good possability send us some details, do many turn out for this????
Adrian.

greggors84

posted on 13/3/06 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
The details of the location are here http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=36933

Had some good turn outs last year, but as its still cold and wet it might not be too many this month. Last month was a poor turn out, and Dan, who normally organises the meets, isnt here either.

Should see tomorrow and tuesday who is planning on coming along.

I drove back past that car park on the way back from my first cocked up SVA.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

stevebubs

posted on 13/3/06 at 02:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheKingofBling
Olv,

Um...APRs motor is pretty much a standard one...the only modification is vernier pulleys....

NS Dev

posted on 13/3/06 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
VX XE, totally std, incl std cams and pulleys, with 48mm throttle bodies will give approx 200hp flywheel, 175-180@ wheels.

Mine have made 176hp@ wheels and 172hp @ wheels

Much more than std Zetec, there is no contest in terms of std engines.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

TheKingofBling

posted on 13/3/06 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
vx

The Above says it all.
NS Dev

posted on 13/3/06 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
BUT.....to prove I am not biased! I have seen some fairly "mild" (pocketted pistons, revised cams and bigger inlet valves) Zetecs giving std Vauxhalls a very good run for their money, though the Zetec would obviously still work out more expensive.

They also seem to have a tad more bulk to their torque curves than the vauxhall, no idea why.

VX XE still wins hands down though.

Zetec is very comparable in design and performance to the later VX Ecotec engine, which is significantly less capable in std or mildly tuned form than the XE.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 14/3/06 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
i know the xe is king ns, but dave walker wrote a rather glowing article about the ecowreck in ppc, apparantly they can show 200 hp without internal mods. I was under the impression they had the edge over a zetec, any thoughts?

[Edited on 14/3/06 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

NS Dev

posted on 14/3/06 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
You won't see 200hp without touching internals I'm afraid.

It's not a big deal, just like the zetec it's simple stuff, but you'll need to pocket the ecotec pistons and fit a pair of cams to get 200hp.

I don't know enough to be able to compare the zetec and ecotec directly, but they have a "similar" head design (much narrower and tighter in the chambers than the XE) and similar? (the same?) valve sizes so I would guess they are going to make broadly similar outputs, certainly make exactly the same std power figure. (but then they would wouldn't they!!!)

The ironic plus with bothe the zetec and the Ecotec is that you can do fairly cheap mods which will bring them up to XE power levels, but the enhance the XE by any worthwhile amount takes a lot of money. You can't fit cams which are any good without pocketing the pistons quite a bit, but then you may as well fork out for forged intruder ones, and then with the cams fitted, you'll need to rev it, so you'll need steel rods at £600 ish a set.................................

Monkeybasher

posted on 14/3/06 at 02:02 AM Reply With Quote
Well done i would be chuffed with that.

Could you tell me which merlin ram pipes they are? are they ITG ones full radius, slot in type, etc?
I need to get a set for mine along with whatever you attached them with, it looks like silicon pipe?

Are you going to put air filters on?

Cheers

Steve

the_fbi

posted on 14/3/06 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Ben Lee on Migweb runs a pretty modified ecotec and doesn't come close to 200bhp

Same mods on an XE would be 200+ easily, yet he's at 183.5

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=131352

olv

posted on 14/3/06 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
SBD have achieved some impressive results with the 1.6 16v ecotec. With heavy mods they've reached 240bhp and can rev up to 9500bhp which is very cool

But 165bhp seems to be fairly easy to obtain without going too hard on modifications. I'm tempted to by one as it'll be more compact and presumably lighter than the XE, and more insurance friendly for me as i wont be 21 for another year or so.

flak monkey

posted on 14/3/06 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Drop a duratec in Thats what I would be doing if I had the money. 204BHP from an otherwise standard engine sounds good to me.

http://www.webcon.co.uk/Downloads/Duratec%20Flyer.pdf

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

NS Dev

posted on 14/3/06 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yea, but the XE makes exactly the same power for much less money!

Ok, the duratec is lighter, but it needs a very expensive bellhousing etc.

Again, I looked at using one but it would cost me 2.5 to 3 times what the XE will for the same power and a few kgs less weight!!

NS Dev

posted on 14/3/06 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olv
SBD have achieved some impressive results with the 1.6 16v ecotec. With heavy mods they've reached 240bhp and can rev up to 9500bhp which is very cool

But 165bhp seems to be fairly easy to obtain without going too hard on modifications. I'm tempted to by one as it'll be more compact and presumably lighter than the XE, and more insurance friendly for me as i wont be 21 for another year or so.

VERY VERY good engine indeed!!!

we ran a std one in the old rally car and it made 162 hp iirc in totally std form with 45mm jenvey throttle bodies on it. Quite a bit lighter than the XE, considerably smaller, uses effectively larger valves (per cc of cyl displacement, they are actually a tad smaller if you see what I mean!) and uses the same cam followers as the XE, so it's well overengineered in the cyl head dept.

very good engine indeed, but then there's also the K series and Zetec S to consider, which are more modern and lighter. K series has its foibles which can be a pain though and the zetec S is more desirable hence more pricey!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.