Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  10    11    12    13    14    15    16  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bodywork for CANAMSA
Ivan

posted on 3/4/11 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
To my untrained eye looking at it in 2D it looks OK for one part moulding - would think that the air vent shape is the critical factor. But if something about it is causing you uncertainty go with your gut.
Steve Hignett

posted on 28/4/11 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Apart from it being a large area, I also think it looks perfectly fine for a one piece centre. The only worry from my point of view would be the time it takes Vesus the resin pot-life you use.

With the stuff we have at work, that would take a LOT of prep work and two guys just to make sure we got it down before it exothermed as it goes off so darn quick

Still looking great Fred, top notch work...

I can't say that I would have done the front wing flange at that angle, I would have come off the body at an angle to give a slanted plane to work both moulds into, but some of the world superbike stuff that we mould is tighter than that, so it shouldn't be too big a deal!!!

Fred W B

posted on 28/4/11 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ivan and Steve for your comments, and opportune Steve as I have just finished the first layer (tissue + 300 gram mat) of the centre piece.

I had been putting it off, waxing, rewaxing, making matt templates, cutting the various bits of mat (including the multiple corner fillets) etc etc, and doubting If I could do it okay single handed. I laid out all the matt pieces in order, and even did a "dress rehearsal" of laying the bits in. At this stage I cut the surface matt to butt into the flange corners, with separate pieces to fit on the flanges, and fillet corner pieces then laid into the corner joints. Also did some detail pieces around/in the location bumps. The surface only was 9 separate pieces of matt.

I finally screwed up my courage, started at 9.00 Saturday morning and by 2.30 it was done, with the exception of the corner fillets down into the nose duct, which I finished yesterday, after sanding the applicable areas. The complete area with flanges is 3.6 m2. I put the 1.8 kg of gell on in three stages (corners/edges + coat 1 + coat 2) and made up 700 gram batches of resin which I catalysed as I went along, working nonstop.

Thier are a few very small areas where I have chased back into small air bubbles and repaired, deep in the front recess particularly was a pain, but I thought I did pretty well overall.

Now to finish sanding the surface and cut the 600 matt for the next layers.

Re the front wing flange, I consider that a lesson learned

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 28/4/11 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

ceebmoj

posted on 29/4/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Great to see the progress.

are you gong to bond any wood or a core to the center section of the mold?

clairetoo

posted on 29/4/11 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Frad - I have been following this thread for a long time , and I have to say I am relieved to see you are continuing your work - when I read you were ready to chuck it all in a skip and give up I was gutted
I have made moldings of at least as large an area , but with a lot less complex detail - I just mix up 4 or 5 KG's of resin , with a bit less than the recommended 1% catalyst , and go for it

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
keep going

This is such a learning experience for everyone following this build just can’t wait to see the finished moulding and it’s soooo amazingly shiny!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ivan

posted on 30/4/11 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
I continue to be amazed but there is a downside - I always had a dream of making a Porsche 904 or renault Alpine from scratch as Fred has done here and now realise that there is no way I would ever have the patience and determination to achieve the sort of results he has.
iank

posted on 30/4/11 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
Frad - I have been following this thread for a long time , and I have to say I am relieved to see you are continuing your work - when I read you were ready to chuck it all in a skip and give up I was gutted

You might want to check the date of the 'giving up' post

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Fred W B

posted on 1/5/11 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses Folks.

Ceeb - I do plan to bond some wood reforcing ribs on once the mold thickness is built up.

Claire - I use 0.75 percent catalyst. As our autumn has started our ambient temps have started to drop (to under 25 deg C)which also helps.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 1/5/11 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Fred W B

posted on 25/6/11 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
So full thickness is laid up, wood bracing is on, edges are trimmed, and the top surface of the nose mold is finished!

[Edited on 25/6/11 by Fred W B]

scootz

posted on 25/6/11 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I wish I had a tenth of your skills and dedication!

Good work fella!

It's Evolution Baby!

Fred W B

posted on 25/6/11 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Scootz

And I've started to remove the nose mold from the pattern

Just tapped some soft wood wedges between the flanges and this popped off nicely!

Very encouraged as I feel that I have got a major step finished

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 25/6/11 by Fred W B]

chrsgrain

posted on 25/6/11 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Go on - take the bit one off, you know you want to !! (and take some pictures so we call all be jealous!)

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Fred W B

posted on 26/6/11 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
And today I rounded up some mates to help lift off the bigger bits. The scuttle mould came off easily

but the nose upper section put up more of a fight. Judicious use of levers, wedges, ratchet straps, roof rafters, hammers and mallets was necessary to "crack" it loose. It's a damn big heavy piece but it is off now.

Amazingly all the surface of the pattern stayed behind.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 26/6/11 by Fred W B]

Ivan

posted on 26/6/11 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good - bet you will sleep well tonight!
smart51

posted on 26/6/11 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
That's fantastic. I always look forward to seeing new pictures of this. The end result is going to be superb.

jabbahutt

posted on 27/6/11 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
truly stunning, I'm off of cry at my complete lack of car skills

HowardB

posted on 27/6/11 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
this thread, it's photographs and all the comments should be made into a

"How to do it properly!" book, and published to great acclaim,..

It is a source of endless awe what skill and patience can achieve,....

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Fred W B

posted on 27/6/11 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the kind responses Folks

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 27/6/11 by Fred W B]

Fred W B

posted on 29/6/11 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
First step of next stage done

and yes, their was a chain saw involved at one point.....

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 29/6/11 by Fred W B]

smart51

posted on 30/6/11 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Did it not feel bad after putting so much work into making it?

Fred W B

posted on 30/6/11 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Not really actually, it's what I have to do to move on and I'm really focussed on trying to make progress at the moment.

Added motivation is that their is not enough room in the garage for the pattern and the moulds and still be able to work.

Cheers

Fred W B

Fred W B

posted on 2/7/11 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Nose removed

and turned over and replaced in mold. Took 6 of us to do this.

Cheers

Fred W B

Alan B

posted on 2/7/11 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Fred, awesome work...I can't believe I've not seen this thread earlier (unless I did and forgot...which seems unlikely.....)

From someone who has been there and done that a few times (and not anywhere close to your standard....) I can really appreciate what you have done..

Again...FANTASTIC JOB

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 3/7/11 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Alan, when I first started casting about the internet to do with this building a car yourself lark your Meerkat site was one of the first build sites I found, and I followed it with interest.

So you are partly responsable for getting me started on all this madness, so thanks for that too.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 3/7/11 by Fred W B]

<<  10    11    12    13    14    15    16  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.