Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Towbar electrics
RazMan

posted on 15/8/06 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Towbar electrics

Just a quicky - Is there a towbar electrics splicing kit available or do I just insert some connectors in the tin top's loom? (BMW 3 Series btw)

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 15/8/06 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Most kits come with scotch locks.
They are not my favourite connectors, but you can remove them if you need to without altering the car's loom.

RazMan

posted on 15/8/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Scotch Locks should be banned - nasty horrible things I think I will cut in some proper connectors then.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
k33ts

posted on 15/8/06 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
there is a splicing kit that comes with a bypass relay which youll need to fit, but youll also need a tool to use it.

sounds posh but it does exactly the same as a scotchlock but more compact.

[Edited on 15/8/06 by k33ts]

tukcustoms.com

RazMan

posted on 15/8/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi k33ts - is the bypass relay really needed? I thought I could just connect everything in parallel and put up with a slower flash rate on the indicators.

Cheers,
Raz

k33ts

posted on 15/8/06 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
if its an e36 you could get away with bypassing the side and tail although you wont be able to use a normal relay as it will permanently chatter.

if its a e46 you need to do all lights

i bypass all on both for piece of mind

tukcustoms.com

posted on 15/8/06 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Before you cut into the loom check that you haven't got connections already there.

All the V Dub's I've owned have had spade connections in the rear light clusters.

The last loom I had to Scotch lock was a Sierra, and that's going back a few years.

Paul G

RazMan

posted on 15/8/06 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Already had a poke around and there are no convenient connectors to tap into so I guess I'll have to get my cutters out

BTW it is an E36 so I will try without the bypass first and see what happens.

Cheers,
Raz

Danozeman

posted on 16/8/06 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
Its better to use the trailer flasher relay. Mine has an audible warning on which is handy so i know the trailer lights are working.(well at least the indicators.)

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

pewe

posted on 16/8/06 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Raz, try www.towsure.com they supply fitting kits for most cars whether pre-wired for towbar electrics or not. Their tech dept is helpful. Cheers, Pewe.
Marcus

posted on 16/8/06 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
The bypass is only really needed if your car has bulb monitoring (probably has). Otherwise you'll get a warning light every time you plug the trailer board in.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

RazMan

posted on 16/8/06 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Raz, try www.towsure.com they supply fitting kits for most cars whether pre-wired for towbar electrics or not. Their tech dept is helpful. Cheers, Pewe.

Useful link, but at £130 for their fitting kit I think I will stick to my (cheap) method.

Cheers,
Raz

BKLOCO

posted on 16/8/06 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
quote:
Originally posted by pewe

Useful link, but at £130 for their fitting kit I think I will stick to my (cheap) method.

Mike....
THIS is the bypass kit and THIS the non bypass. Where did you get £130 from?

EDIT
OK. I found the dedicated wiring kits
Not worth it for that old banger of yours

Anyway I thought you were fitting your new gofaster ducts not p**sing about with tow bars.

[Edited on 16-8-06 by BKLOCO]

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

RazMan

posted on 16/8/06 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
As a matter of fact I have already fitted one side and there will be a grand opening tomorrow if all goes well

Get on with your under floor heating anyway!

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.