Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fire away......
Alan B

posted on 4/6/03 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I see what you mean, and agree.
It doesn't help that the lighting is very harsh and makes it looks worse, but some softening of the front corners wouldn't hurt...I have tried putting some vents/ducts on the skirt in the corners (in paintshop) and it helps the look a lot.

Whatever I do it will be a compromise, as some people have no problem with front, but some very subtle changes may please everyone....

It is a very a strange feeling to spend 15 months on something and be so close to the project that it is hard to know what you like or don't like......I have to pretend I'm seeing it for the first time....which is difficult..

I have the advantage that only one or two on here have.........seeing it in the flesh...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 4/6/03 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect that colour (sorry - color ) is also an issue here - maybe that front wing would not be so prominent if the car was black, or a dark colour.

Saying that, an open sports car just HAS to be red, yellow or some other lurid colour!

David

Scouse Monkey

posted on 4/6/03 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alan,

I think you should try polishing it up a pit befroe you try changing the body design as it almost there an would look a lot different when you get all the little things on like mirrors, seats, painted roll bar etc and the correct reflections and shadows. One thing I would look at is the area going from the cockpit to the engine cover, at the moment I think it looks a bit too bland but when you get seats etc there it will look a lot different.

You could maybe make models of seats, fittings and vent grills etc and then take photos from various angles. I am not sure what you are intending for a windscreen but having an aeroscreen makes a huge differnce to looks and is easier to get right than a windscreen.

Just my thoughts

Other thing is I was wondering what you are doing about inside the wheelarches to catch dirt, water etc. I have been wondering about this for my design and am thinking either shaped GRP covers bonded to inside of panels or just use very thin aluminium on the frame to prevent the engine and brake cylinders getting covered in c***p.

Andy

Alan B

posted on 4/6/03 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Scouse, good feedback...(better than that nasty David guy............only joking mate)

You are right, it makes it harder asking people to look past the crap and picture it finished....I know how stuff will look...what I intend etc.....so maybe a few subtle changes, clean up and mocked-up features would help a lot......good luck with yours too...it's a lot of work...but worth it..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 4/6/03 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
David, I think you are right about colour (I'm still English...).......some show things quite differently.......trouble is I HAVE to make it work in red.....
David Jenkins

posted on 4/6/03 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
better than that nasty David guy

Sniff...

OK then...

Alan B

posted on 4/6/03 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I love this forum.....so more entertaining than work.......
sgraber

posted on 4/6/03 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alan, I'm just back from holidays and though I might chime in here.

I think you have done a very nice job with the design.

The thought that came to my mind as I was looking at the car was this; The bottom 4" of the front valance all the way back to the wheel arches could simply be painted black to reduce the amount of mass it conveys visually. My Jetta has this black area across the front and I also note in "Car and Driver" that the new Porsche Cayenne has a black valance treatment around the bottom rear and as they show a before/after photo comparison, it does really make a difference. (Try some black tape...)

At the rear you have done an admirable job. I think that possibly a small spoiler/wing mated to the frame where the rear fender starts to curve off would enhance this area and de-emphasize the "shortness" of it.

But overall, you have done an incredible job MAN!!! too cool!

Just my .00002 pence

Steve G.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Alan B

posted on 4/6/03 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve, some more good points.
The major manufacturers know all the tricks with colour and visual distractions....and wouldn't use them without cause...another thing I thought of was how often a bare car body shell looks a lot like the finished car......almost never.....the trim and coloured bits do make a big difference....

Alan B

posted on 4/6/03 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Syd,

More good tips, thanks. Especially glad to hear of the modifying technique...sounds similar to what I had in mind - very reassuring...

The point about perfection is well noted too..you just can't please everyone.....and even pleasing the majority isn't necessarily a good thing either............I'll bet 20% loving it is better than 40% liking it........just liking it may not be enough to buy it...

Metal Hippy

posted on 4/6/03 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'd buy it.

But I'd put neon lights under the front end to improve the look.

Obviously I'm joking, but I like the look of that blue thing Ned posted.....

Loadsa work though...

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

ProjectLMP

posted on 5/6/03 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
Well everybody else has had a shot so here is my opinion for what its worth. Overall I like the look and would prefer it to say a seven type car. The thing that spoils it a bit for me is the front end. I think there is a bit of a lack of continuity between the front and the rear. The rear is quite rounded and I like the look. However, the front is very sharp edged and a bit bulky looking. If the front was a little bit more rounded I think it would match the rear and also look less bulky. Also maybe a little more curvature of the front looking from the plan view might help. Still pretty good for the first effort and you have a platform on which to develop and refine.

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

Alan B

posted on 5/6/03 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
Paul, I appreciate the feedback...when I know what enough people are thinking I can do something about it.....seems some work on the front is inevitable, however after all the plug makiing for the bonnet etc. the actual moulding does need attention anyway, so some extra mods won't hurt...

Again everyone, thanks!

TheGecko

posted on 5/6/03 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Alan,

Here's my 2 cents worth. I pretty much agree with everything said so far - the rear looks good (looked great in black with the tooling gelcoat!) but the front looks .... hmmm.... mis-proportioned somehow? In a direct side view the flat area around the front wheel opening is so much wider at the front than the rear which makes it look nose heavy. I think Winston is on the right track with his modified image yesterday, wrapping the light opening around the side. That breaks up the flat area down to level with the leading edge of the bonnet (hood). Matched with a scoop/duct/grille in the section below the light, at the side, and it would probably remove the visual bulk. I'll try to mod Winston's image a little further when I get home to illustrate.

Overall, I'm mighty impressed with your progress. - congratulations.

As an aside - I was looking at the outside photos on your website. Is that the donor for the next project in the background of photo 4 ?

Best regards,

Dominic

Alan B

posted on 5/6/03 at 01:58 AM Reply With Quote
Shhhh.....new book........

"Build your own construction equipment for....., and dig with it"

Thanks, for comments. I think it was you who suggested mods like Winston's in the past?

TheGecko

posted on 5/6/03 at 02:23 AM Reply With Quote
I can see the questions already - "I can't find a John Deere donor but I picked up an old International Harvester for cheap. Anyone know what top ball joint will fit?"

Yes, I did suggest mods like Winston's suggestion in the past although he's better at drawing it than me. I believe that if you can reduce the blank flat area around the front of the wheel arch to balance it with that behind then the apparent visual bulk will pretty much disappear.

The other (much more difficult) option would be to extend the nose by a good foot or so which would get rid of the 'snub nosed' appearance in profile. The Coram LMP is a good example of that shape. The current Meerkat profile is a bump (engine cover) with a forward wedge and then another bump. Extending the nose would make it more like a bump/wedge combo - a stylistic echo of the rear portion which would help to unify things front to rear.

Does that make any sense or does it just sound all art school wanky?

Dominic

Spyderman

posted on 5/6/03 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,

This is very crude and is obviously similar to what I did before, however the rounded top to the front wings do soften the front end somewhat!

Well I think so anyway!

Terry

Spyderman

Alan B

posted on 5/6/03 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi again Terry,

Yes, I think I will end up doing something like that.....the front corners will be easy to round off more.....I need to assess all the feedback and make a plan, but I don't think anyone will mind those corners a bit softer..

Thanks again

robinbastd

posted on 5/6/03 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Alan, I have been following this thread wanting to be able to add something positive. There was something amiss but I couldn't put my finger on it until I saw Terry's reworking of the front end. It has a cohesive effect on the whole car. If only we had all piped up before you made the mould.
All that said I'm in awe of the Meerkat project and all your hard graft. Well done sir!
Regards
Ian

Noodle

posted on 5/6/03 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Can I ask a question about the wheelarches? The front ones form an arc greater than 180deg, but the rears don't appear to.

Camera angle? Design?

Aside: Will you be using the central tunnel to accelerate high pressure air into the engine bay. Suitably tapered from the front air dam, you could get quite a ram charge effect from that.

Cheers,

Neil.

Alan B

posted on 5/6/03 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Robin:

I have a bit of work on the body moulding anyway...a bit more won't hurt...sometimes you just have to make "something", then improve it....it's hard to develop or improve nothing......otherwise Ford would have made the Cortina Mk5 first, and not the others..

Noodle:

Design, but don't ask me why...there was a reason, but I don't recall it...Not really considered underfloor aerodynamics yet....maybe will have to soon I guess..

Again everyone thanks...

kb58

posted on 6/6/03 at 03:59 AM Reply With Quote
Alan,

My opinion of your car is... for you to just be happy with what you're building and, frankly, to hell with what other's think. I feel you'll just get endless opinions about "this being wrong," or "that's not right." To what end? I think you could spend years running about trying to please everyone, which is impossible.

Just build it and have fun.

Having said this, I take back everything if you plan to sell them... in that case yes, you have to find some magic shape which enough people will buy to make it worth your while.

Alan B

posted on 6/6/03 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly...you have hit the nail on the head.....I do plan to "try" and sell some kits, so just pleasing me is not an option...

Your points about pleasing everyone are well taken though....I just have to analyse all the comments and the severity of them to formulate a plan.....

Oh well.......

stephen_gusterson

posted on 10/6/03 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Hi Alan!

I've been looking at your design for a day or two... I was wondering whether to say anything, but then I thought that you had called for comments... so, please take what follows as constructive criticism!

The area around the front wheel arches really bothers me, but I can't work out why - perhaps it just looks too hefty in comparison with the rest, or maybe it's too square for my taste.

That just about voices what I think too David. The rest of the meekat looks really nice - but I have always thought the front arches that tad bit too chunky.

the 'evo one' version in the newer thread cures that.......I wonder if all the mods really need adding to improve the overall looks of the car. But then Alan spends all that time at home....so much time after opening the cheques in the morning

atb

steve

ps

i think the 'half moon' curve at the front of the car in the avatar cartoon looks good

[Edited on 10/6/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Alan B

posted on 11/6/03 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
........ But then Alan spends all that time at home....so much time after opening the cheques in the morning......

Shhhh....don't tell everyone...they'll all want this job.....

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.