Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: transverse 4x4 gearboxes
goodall

posted on 24/5/07 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
transverse 4x4 gearboxes

what all is there out there thats commonly available besides the one used in the freelander?

thinking of a 4x4 mini again and inline 4x4 really is the best idea in a mini as it eats up so much space in a car were you need all the space you can get

Scoob

posted on 24/5/07 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra XR4x4? ( I think :S)
stevec

posted on 24/5/07 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Didn,t they do a 4x4 Fiat panda. Was that transverse?
Steve.

novacaine

posted on 24/5/07 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
EVO

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 24/5/07 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got a 4x4 mondeo (stop laughing ) Tranverse engine / gearbox with zetec . Might fit under a clubman bonnet. Have seen a few mondeo 4x4's breaking on ebay. If you want an inline 4x4 there are still a few sierras about. I got a 4x4 ghia estate for doner parts for £50

[Edited on 24/5/07 by TGR-ECOSSE]

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 24/5/07 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
Didn,t they do a 4x4 Fiat panda. Was that transverse?
Steve.

Yes

mcerd1

posted on 24/5/07 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Jag X-type ? (same floor pan as mondeo and new freelander)

quote:
Originally posted by TGR-ECOSSE
Ive got a 4x4 mondeo (stop laughing ) Tranverse engine / gearbox with zetec . Might fit under a clubman bonnet. Have seen a few mondeo 4x4's breaking on ebay. If you want an inline 4x4 there are still a few sierras about. I got a 4x4 ghia estate for doner parts for £50

[Edited on 24/5/07 by TGR-ECOSSE]

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 24/5/07 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
You mean my 1996 mondeo 4x4 is realy a jag X type

goodall

posted on 24/5/07 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
dont think a panda drive train would be up to the 200bhp i want to run in the mini

evo would be very nice but i dont think that it would be quite in budget

mondeo now theres an idea, i always thought they were just a sierra with a mondeo shell and there for inline engine, but that sounds like the best idea. how much do they sell secondhand?

looking at this link the other day i got thinking about it but i dont think the 4x4 civic people carrier was ever sold here so need a different donor

yea i remember watching a show about 5 years ago on how the xtype was based on a mondeo, must have sliped my mind how the engine was mounted

[Edited on 24/5/07 by goodall]

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 24/5/07 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay mondeo 4x4

Fatgadget

posted on 24/5/07 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

You got that arse over tit! It's the other way around!

goodall

posted on 24/5/07 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
its mot'd and tax'd for 4 months still and at only £100 its perfect but this is still next years project mainly because it will then be possible for me to drive the donor home and use it for a few months to make sure everything works right

whats the mondeo like to drive? do you know what the torque split is like front and back?

must start doing some reading on the internet soon about them

the new freelander is also going to be based on the mondeo if i remember correctly

britishtrident

posted on 24/5/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Rolling about floor laughing

What he means is Jags now feel as worn out as old Fords once the hit 50,000 miles

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 24/5/07 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goodall

whats the mondeo like to drive? do you know what the torque split is like front and back?

It handles realy well for a biggish car. Its got traction control as well. Its a 60/40 split front to back.

I did write a longer answer but forgot to log in & lost it

ned

posted on 24/5/07 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
vw golf & bora 4motion, audi a3 & tt quattro, octavia 4x4 are all transverse 4wd. They are part time 4wd ie wheel sensors detect slippage and a haldex clutch diverts power to the rear as and when required. Think it's approx 1/4 turn of slipage before power is diverted. Bit of a compromise in terms of 4x4 but I gather improves fuel efficiency and tyre wear.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 24/5/07 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Another option is the old 405 Mi16 4x4 thing. You get a nice all ally 1.9 16V engine, which makes a nice 170 bhp on ITBs, and a transverse 4x4 set up, leaving just the prop to run down the car.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

twybrow

posted on 24/5/07 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking MI16. Good choice depending upon what you can squeeze into a mini!
TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 24/5/07 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Have you seen this V6 4x4 Mini

The background on the site looks familiar but can't think where from

goodall

posted on 24/5/07 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
the problem with the vw system would be that its still new enough for donor to not be that cheap and it also needs the ecu for the clutch system to be modified

cant say im all that big of a fan of french cars as the only one i have ever been in on a motorway broke a ring and was burning causing it to rev up to 6000rpm and being able to be turned of

yea iv seen that site before but the size of the transmission tunnel is what turns me of about it as it leaves the driver very little foot room.

is that 60% to the front or rear? as i read on the internet the jag has 60% to the rear "giving a sportier feel", i would be all for using the mondeo system if it was 60% to the rear as that would be very fun in a mini

its the same as the locostbuilders background just alot darker

MikeRJ

posted on 24/5/07 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Celica GT4 had a transverse installation.
Cavalier/Calbra 4x4 was transverse.

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 24/5/07 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Celica GT4 had a transverse installation.
Cavalier/Calbra 4x4 was transverse.

Sorry would not recomend the cavalier/calibra option as the transfer box is the week link .Ask any owner you have to change all 4 tyres at the same time or it packs in.

ned

posted on 24/5/07 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
the cavalier/calibra could be done as I know there are conversion front mini subframes available for this engine, but I must confess I dont' know the transfer box/prop layout. It is also a relatively large and heavy engine for a mini.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 24/5/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Another option is the old 405 Mi16 4x4 thing. You get a nice all ally 1.9 16V engine, which makes a nice 170 bhp on ITBs, and a transverse 4x4 set up, leaving just the prop to run down the car.

and the Mi16 ones have torsen rear diffs

A mate of mines got a 120k+ one of these - its just a bit worn

daKlone

posted on 24/5/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I can't believe no-one has mentioned it, but what about a Lancia Delta Integrale? Not as expensive as you might think for a parts car with running gear (say £500 to £1000).

dK

Winter is coming...

goodall

posted on 24/5/07 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
yes i believe the cavalier uses a slightly higher ratio of diff at the back and this causes the viscous coupling to always be working a small bit and i could see how marginally different tyres may cause problems, and with this going to be a radically modified car its likely i will wear tyres very unevenly

if i was to buy a gt4 or a lancia i would probably just drive end up driving it than bothering spending time and money making my dream of a 4x4 mini

emm still good at 120k is starting to make me suppress my views on french cars, must find out abit more about its transmission system

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.