Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Detachable steering wheel?
chrisg

posted on 25/10/07 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Detachable steering wheel?

Just a quick one, is there anything in the SVA regulations that prohibits a removeable steering wheel?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

JohnN

posted on 25/10/07 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Not explicitly. In my case the tester was concerned that the wheel could be removed when the engine was running. I had to permanantly link the ignition key to the removable wheel key so that when the wheel was on it was locked on and if the key was in the ignition, it couldn't be used to unlock the removable wheel.

He did tell me that in his view, in future, he wouldn't pass a car with a removable wheel

See this thread

The testing station was Shrewsbury

[Edited on 25/10/07 by JohnN]

BenB

posted on 25/10/07 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I passed fine with a detachable wheel... No comment about it from Mr SVA....

[Edited on 25/10/07 by BenB]

COREdevelopments

posted on 25/10/07 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
im in the same boat, i need a qr hub. think may leave the original sierra wheel on. but that is huge and i struggle to get in the car whith it on!!
is a 250 d shaped steering wheel too small? was thinking about gettin one.

rob

chrisg

posted on 25/10/07 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnN
Not explicitly. In my case the tester was concerned that the wheel could be removed when the engine was running. I had to permanantly link the ignition key to the removable wheel key so that when the wheel was on it was locked on and if the key was in the ignition, it couldn't be used to unlock the removable wheel.

He did tell me that in his view, in future, he wouldn't pass a car with a removable wheel

See this thread

[Edited on 25/10/07 by JohnN]

Which test station John?

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

ash_hammond

posted on 25/10/07 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Chrisg.....

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

DarrenW

posted on 25/10/07 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
I know the snap off hub has a key lock. Might be worth checking the sales blurb to see if these are approved for road cars or not. If they state they arent then there may be a regulation that the SVA doesnt refer to the excludes them. I dont recall seeing a specific exclusion in the manual, but at my first SVA i had a height issue with std wheel, asked tester if i could use the aftermarket with removeable boss. His advise was the wheel was OK but he would not pass the removeable boss. It would seem this is down to interpretation.

richijenkin

posted on 25/10/07 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Passed mine with a normal sierra wheel, then fitted the quick-release one.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 25/10/07 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
It would only have to be linked to the ignition and stop the engine when removed if it was being claimed as one of your anti theft devices wouldn't it?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

iank

posted on 25/10/07 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect they really don't like the idea that it's possible to remove it while moving. Though what driver in their right mind would try that I don't know.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.