Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA PASS !
NeilP

posted on 8/5/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Very tidy car that man - well done on all fronts

EDIT: P.S. Yes - All sports cars should be coloured in-ya-face red!

[Edited on 8/5/2008 by NeilP]

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

DaveFJ

posted on 8/5/08 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for your kind comments, and for all the help that i have recieved over the years from the people on this site...

the top hose has a take off at it's highest point that goes back to the header tank vis a smallish pipe - think it is restricted to about 8mm?

both header tank and rad have pressure caps.. the first time it was the rad that dumoped - every time after that it was the header.

looking at the system I can't see any possible air locks because of the take off so highup.. and you can see a constant flow of coolant abck into the header via the return when it is running.

when I have at least 30-40 mph it sits nicely at about 90 degrees on my gauge (think that is reading a little high) but as soon as i hit traffic it skyrockets..

fan is deffinitely sucking through the rad and there is very little room around it in the nose cone so not a lot can get past it..

possibly my biggest problem is the oil cooler... will have to look at relocating that. and maybe a good quality fan

One thought i have just had..... there is a fair bit of damage to the rad itself - the very thin cooling vanes bent over.. that would restrict the airflow through... could this be the cause?

on the tuning side of things.. what causes 'popping' back through the TBs ? I am sure it is running rich becuase i have to faether the throttle to keep it running. so far i have been running logs through the mega log viewer and accepting the results of the analysis...

cheers to everyone anyway...

off to fill in the DVLA form

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

rusty nuts

posted on 8/5/08 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Well done on your pass. It might be worth getting a timing light on the engine to check your timing. If the engine isn't "pinking as someone has already suggested it could very well be retarded which could cause overheating and possibly the popping back ? Might also be worth getting a head gasket test done as well just in case . WaterWetter will drop the coolant temperature by as much as 20 degrees, not a cure but may help until you get the engine tuned properl. Just the DVLA to sort then?
Black Cat

posted on 8/5/08 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Dave. the car looks great, its come a long way since I last saw it.

Steve

timf

posted on 9/5/08 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
dave

excellent news on the pass
Tim

A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him."
- Sir Winston S. Churchill, 1952

DarrenW

posted on 9/5/08 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent news, well done. Car looks great too.

Probs everyman and his dog who has used Pinto has had cooling challenges before. mine were mainly caused by silt in the block impeding coolant flow. i just removed a water gallery plug and flushed it through with hose pipe for couple of hours. Took a while to get any water to come out of the plug at first (needed assistance with small screwdriver and stiff wire etc).
Ive also fitted a fan switch on the dash so i can switch fan on in traffic on hot days if needed.

I was shocked on first trackday at what temp it got up to (115 iirc). It always had a tendancy to dump water from rad cap overflow, ive since fitted a bottle to this so it can find own level, vent when hot and pull back in when cooling down.

Ive also fitted some vent holes in bonnet and nosecone to help air flow through engine bay - no idea if these help running temp but i like the look of them and they cant be a bad thing.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.