Gutted like me?

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crashing...
:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 19/8/08 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
i have posted this in other forums -

went round the alps in the dax last few weeks ago on my honeymoon - 3 days before the end i was just cruisin along a backroad near munich when

BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 seconds later we were barrell rolling the Dax down a 50 foot embankment flipped twice landed on its wheels.
VERY VERY luckily it didnt land on our heads or we would be dead now

turns out a young deer ran across the front of the car from left to right - got jammed in the steering which pulled us off the road.. wheels dug in whilst sideways on the slope down..

car is still in a pokey village garage waiting the RAC to get it act together and get it back to the UK for assessment at Dax Cars - rang them few days ago - said it wont get back to the uk till at least the 5th september!!!!!!!!! taking the pi$$ - the garage is charging 10 euro's / day so the 5th would be 290 euro's plus 19% vat - all that will be marking against whether its a write off or not..

PICCIES

i'm not impressed by the RAC's european breakdown service one bit - the are a bunch of unco-ordinated cretins..

DarrenW

posted on 19/8/08 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
OMG!! That looks like a serious off. Im so pleased you are both OK. Hope you get car back soon and its all resolved through the insurance. What is the prognosis so far? Are you expecting it to be written off? Ill hold off on the shameless plug for my car at this stage

quote:
Originally posted by :{THC}:YosamiteSam

went round the alps in the dax last few weeks ago on my honeymoon - 3 days before the end i was just cruisin along a backroad near munich when

BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 seconds later we were barrell rolling the Dax down a 50 foot embankment flipped twice landed on its wheels.

turns out a young deer ran across the front of the car from left to right - got jammed in the steering which pulled us off the road.. wheels dug in whilst sideways on the slope down..

car is still in a pokey village garage waiting the RAC to get it act together and get it back to the UK for assessment at Dax Cars - rang them few days ago - said it wont get back to the uk till at least the 5th september!!!!!!!!! taking the pi$$ - the garage is charging 10 euro's / day so the 5th would be 290 euro's plus 19% vat - all that will be marking against whether its a write off or not..

PICCIES

i'm not impressed by the RAC's european breakdown service one bit - the are a bunch of unco-ordinated cretins..

David Jenkins

posted on 19/8/08 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
One thing these pictures all show - these are TOUGH little cars!

If the passengers are well strapped in, and there's a respectable roll-bar or cage, then the driver and passenger have a reasonable chance of surviving.

Obviously there are limits - being run over by a big truck, or going sideways into a tree at speed, are likely to cause great harm, but people seem to have walked away from quite a number of very nasty accidents.

Long may this continue...

C10CoryM

posted on 20/8/08 at 02:26 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure if it counts as a tintop as the steel is very thick, but I landed my classic truck roof first in a ditch. Goofing around in the corners and lost the back end. 50mph+ to zero in about 2ft backwards and upside down is not recommended.

And yes, the roof is touching the seat.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 20/8/08 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
crikey that roof collapse is scarey stuff.. no strength in there at all

when and IF i get the car rebuilt the first thing before i get the body work back on is a roll cage.. you all gotta have seen the dax diagonal roll bar - yea - i know - you never think it will ever be needed unless i was gonna be racing..

theres a lot of thoughts going round my head right now and the other big safety issue i now see is this

we hit that small deer at 50 mph - it hit the rhf headlight / suspension / inner rim area..

if that had come over the engine cover and into the screen - do you think the screen would just break or flatten?

i know for a fact it would of flattened instantly sending the deer right into our faces along with the screen / frame and possibly either breaking both our necks, or if we were really lucky double decapitation...

that is fact... the deer hit with such force that there is deer hair jammed between the tyre and the rim.. lots of intestinal parts from it came over the car and were spread over the road.. so if it could do that to flesh - scarey thought..

i have been thinking of ways to improve that issue..

when the cage is built i want a small tube going across from the 2 front verticals following the top bar of the screen frame... painted black it should keep it inconspicuous.. it either that or use the cage to mount a laminated glass in a one off frame...

C10CoryM

posted on 22/8/08 at 02:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
crikey that roof collapse is scarey stuff.. no strength in there at all

You can't really see it in the picture, but the truck landed with the peak of the ditch in the center of the roof. 6ft deep ditch on one side, maybe 3ft on the other. Can't really blame it for collapsing

Basically, I slid off the road sideways/backwards at about 50mph. Tires bit into the shoulder and the high coG snap rolled the truck and it landed on its roof and stopped...... instantly. Pretty hard on things.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 22/8/08 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Basically, I slid off the road sideways/backwards at about 50mph. Tires bit into the shoulder and the high coG snap rolled the truck and it landed on its roof and stopped...... instantly. Pretty hard on things.

shit!!!!!! now that is scary...

exactly the same happened to my car..

there is a thread on the owners forum here with pictures - i'm still waiting for the car to be brought back from Germany to be assessed at dax..

iank

posted on 23/8/08 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Very glad to hear all were ok.
For the seriousness of the crash the car's maintained structural integrity very well from the pictures. Lots of expensive damage obviously, but I'd expect a tintop to look a lot worse. Thank goodness for proper harnesses.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

C10CoryM

posted on 23/8/08 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i'm still waiting for the car to be brought back from Germany to be assessed at dax..

May not apply in your case, but it is often best to sell/scrap a crashed car. I have seen more than once where someone has crashed their favourite car, rebuilt it, and then been upset because their baby never drives/looks as good as it used to. Part of it is that yes, crashed cars never drive as well as they used to but part of it is just falling out of love. Eventually they end up never driving it and selling it anyways.
I would recommend avoiding all that money spent, and heartbreak and just selling it now.

Best of luck.
Cory

posted on 23/8/08 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C10CoryM
quote:
i'm still waiting for the car to be brought back from Germany to be assessed at dax..

May not apply in your case, but it is often best to sell/scrap a crashed car. I have seen more than once where someone has crashed their favourite car, rebuilt it, and then been upset because their baby never drives/looks as good as it used to. Part of it is that yes, crashed cars never drive as well as they used to but part of it is just falling out of love. Eventually they end up never driving it and selling it anyways.
I would recommend avoiding all that money spent, and heartbreak and just selling it now.

Best of luck.
Cory

yea - i hear what your saying - but after just rebuilding the WHOLE car theres no way i'm forking out anymore on the car - which is why i want the insurance to do it..

Custardtart

posted on 26/8/08 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
This was my biggest 7 crash, taken from a kit car race at Mallory in 2001 I think. Must've been doing about 90mph at the time. Poor chap with his hands up must've been sh*ting himself!

[Edited on 26/8/08 by Custardtart]

They're only noodles

Guinness

posted on 26/8/08 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Terry, I'm really sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you are OK! Hope the insurance get you sorted.

I've just come back from nearly 2,700 miles of touring round Europe and there were times when I've wished I'd been in the Indy. Some fantastic roads, billiard table smooth tarmac and sweeping curves / mountain passes. Oh and sunshine!!!!

Steve, I had a very minor off on the last run out with the NE7ER's. My first in the 7 (if you don't count spins on trackdays).

Just as we came out of Blanchland, I came over the crest of a hill to find the road wet / greasy and very smooth, a right / left bend
and a couple of cars coming the other way. I braked, locked up and slid the nearside wheel onto the verge. Once I had a wheel on the grass it didn't seem to want to slow down any more Collected a good amount
of grass and weeds, found the kerb, stopped.

Must have only been doing about 10-15 when we found the kerb. Luckily
there was a lay-by right next to us, so I pulled in, checked for damage
and got going again. Andre was behind us at the time, so he probably got a
better view of it!

A check of the car when I got home that night revealed no damage at
all. All wishbones straight, all brackets present and correct. Steering
column, rack etc all still there.

Cheers

Mike

tcr

posted on 28/8/08 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
anyone else seen this caterham crash ,try and watch it without swearing
caterham crash

MK MIDI ZX10R
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4393256076054.2182513.1427988207&type=1&l=64c91c3c17
why isnt anything simple!!!
torquetune.co.uk
nrpexhausts.co.uk

eddie99

posted on 30/8/08 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry im a bit behind time on this post, but an interesting read.

quote:

BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ouch, looks terrible, glad you were both ok but most of all, How was the deer? :p hehehe, only joking...

But to all of you, think yourself luckly that your still alive to tell the tale!

Eddie

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

posted on 10/9/08 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
well today is a sad day...

today - my car has officially died
had long talk with dax.. chassis is badly bent.. twisted..
bent rhf wishbone mountings from impact with deer
ALL the wishbones gone
all uprights gone
snapped rhr upright
broken side can
all wheels no good including tyres
most of the body work no good
left side panel holed
steering rack gone
ALL ball joints gone

it would be too much work to repair realistically, so what am i gonna do now...

i know wait for insurance money and get another rolling chassis.. buy back the old one and swap over the good bits..

suppose winter is just around the corner and it will keep me busy..

AGAIN...

iank

posted on 10/9/08 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
well today is a sad day...

today - my car has officially died
had long talk with dax.. chassis is badly bent.. twisted..
bent rhf wishbone mountings from impact with deer
ALL the wishbones gone
all uprights gone
snapped rhr upright
broken side can
all wheels no good including tyres
most of the body work no good
left side panel holed
steering rack gone
ALL ball joints gone

it would be too much work to repair realistically, so what am i gonna do now...

i know wait for insurance money and get another rolling chassis.. buy back the old one and swap over the good bits..

suppose winter is just around the corner and it will keep me busy..

AGAIN...

Bad luck.

If you buy back the written off one and 'rebuild' with a new Dax chassis etc. you don't need an IVA (or SVA if you are very quick) but will require a VIC. On the down side an HPI will then come up with the write off - don't know if that is an issue for you.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

C10CoryM

posted on 10/9/08 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear. I am sure it is for the best though. This way you aren't stuck with a rebuilt car, and now you can build this one exactly how you want it. Don't forget the deer whistles this time
Best of luck.
Cory

posted on 13/9/08 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
i'm going to buy back the car - FFS - £600 is all they said its worth as scrap...

anyways - my intentions are to find something new - prices are next to nothing right now so theres some lovely motas out there right now..

i will be stripping out the car for bits when its home

if anyones interested theres some good bits left..here

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.