Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Help SVA Fail - Sierra Column
JeffHs

posted on 26/4/08 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Help SVA Fail - Sierra Column

First drive on Wednesday and it rained heavily on way to SVA. Not my finest hour , failed test at Derby. Some minors, most of which I could have fixed there but 4 majors - no self-centring (can't argue it's nasty to drive, and I will bite the bullet, hack off some bodywork and reposition the top bone brackets) rear seat belt mounts too low (I just missed that), insufficient strength in pedal box (fair cop with hindsight) but the one I'm most concerned about is the steering column.
The tester was fair and helpful and didn't make me feel too much of a t**t, but I think I should challenge his view on the column.
He was happy with the bottom end with a dogleg and 2 U/Js but didn't like the hard mount for the top - argued that the original Sierra mountings were designed to break away in impact. He suggested a collapsible boss between the wheel (Mountney) and column.I thought that was the purpose of the concertina section in the top of the outer column, so I wouldn't need anything else.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Jeff

Doug68

posted on 26/4/08 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I've not seen a Sierra column in the flesh but what the guy said sounds like complete cobblers to me.
How will the colapsable section be forced to work if the top location brackets fail?
Is your face supposed to be the thing that collapses the column

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

caber

posted on 26/4/08 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
That's a new one! If I remember correctly the Sierra column mounts to the bulkhead where it is pretty structural. I would see if you can get a photo of the original mounting on a Sierra, if it looks pretty solid send it to SVA tester for his comments prior to re-test.

Good Luck

Caber

worX

posted on 26/4/08 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Not that I agree with the tester at all, but might he be referring to the fairly weak cast Ali bracket that it's fixed with?

Steve

adithorp

posted on 26/4/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Think his point might be that if you hit the top of the column it has to collapse downward. Thats why he'd be happy with a collapsable wheel mount. You'd also get away with a deformable wheel as thats what tin tops have but I think it has to have a test certificte if it not from the doner.

In reality its irrelevant if you wear your belts but I think it is in the SVA book.

adrian

Paul (Notts)

posted on 26/4/08 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
There has to be a weak section between the wheel and the column

eg a collapsible boss

Its normal practice for sva to either use the original Sierra wheel ( has a week point built in ) or fit a collapsible boss and wheel.

Paul

dave1888

posted on 26/4/08 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Do you want a collapsable boss i have one in the garage you can have. I will post a pic in a bit.

dave1888

posted on 26/4/08 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
This come with my Montney sierra boss but i got a ali spacer made so this is spare. Rescued attachment DSCN0653.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN0653.JPG

graememk

posted on 26/4/08 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
i have a mountey wheel and boss and sva pad i lend out for sva if that helps.

vinnievector

posted on 27/4/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
your colum

If it helps there are differences on some of the columns .as i have an early type with plastic mounting lugs which i change for a later type which is adjustable , but with no plastic lugs,as i had no switch gear on the older one ,however it seems now i have the same problem as your self as i also have a montly boss to ,so seems i will have to get hold of a sierra wheel.
Marcus

posted on 27/4/08 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
This was one of the things mine didn't fail on (2 sheets of A4 full of minor bits and bobs!), although the tester (Derby) had a good look and was pleased to see I'd fitted a collapsible boss (Astrali) on the Mountney wheel. This was in addition to the collapsible column (Manta) and centre UJ on the extension. I picked my boss up from Harrogate show for a fiver, money well spent methinks

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.