Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air filter for 'Blade
Jasper

posted on 22/3/03 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Jon, I'd have to buy a blade filter as well, and if it's a K&N then it's gonna be £50. The ZX9 filter is just too huge to use.

I may as well go for the socks as they are cheaper. I'm gonna have to re-jet whatever I do.

andyd

posted on 22/3/03 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Oh poop!

Well the Pipercross sock filters were delivered this morning as expected. The Burton Power catalogue said 50mm height. They looked taller than that! Turns out it's the internal measurement that they quote. The overall height is more like 80mm.

We tried them anyway and I've posted a picture here -> http://forum.locostbuilders.co.uk/xmb/photos/cgi-bin/showpic.pl?filter.jpg for those interested. Sorry about the size for those with dial-up. It'll take about a minute to d/load if you're using 28.8kbps modem.

The upshot is that they are too big so they'll be going back and I'll probably order the really flat PX600 one (C6001 - 40mm quoted total height) and a blank backing plate (C6006). It'll cost more (£67.45 + delivery) but hopefuly it'll fit better. Pity 'cause the sock filters were only £35.77 incl.

Oh well, yet more money spent and no further forward.

If anyone wants to see the PX600 filter fitted to something the have a look here -> http://www.striker1.plus.com/images/pic30011.jpg This guy has fitted one on an R1 engine in a striker. I think the R1 carbs are taller than most (someone posted this recently) and the striker does have a small bonnet bulge.

[Edited on 23/3/2003 by andyd]

Andy

Jasper

posted on 23/3/03 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hey that looks nice and flat, let me know how it sits and they look gooood...
MK9R

posted on 23/3/03 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper,

The ZX9 kit only requires the 4 new jets at £4 ish each and doesn't need new needles etc (according to TTS when i spoke to them). Thats why it only cost me 124 anyway.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 28/3/03 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Andy, has your new filter arrived? If it has could you do me a favour and measure vertically from the highest point on the carb to the top of the filter, so I can see if it fits.
Cheers
Jasper

andyd

posted on 28/3/03 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
It has arrived. It looks like it'll fit fairly well on ours but that's one job for tomorrow. I'll take some snaps later and post them here with the relevant measurements sometime tonight so you can see if it'll do for yours.

[Edited on 28/3/2003 by andyd]

Andy

Ben 4x4 Shepperd

posted on 28/3/03 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
sorry guys don't know much about this kinda thing but how come you need to go on a rolling road to test the air filters??? Also isn't it preferable to have them sticking out the bonnet as it will get better air flow??
I'm thinking of making one similar to jon ison's then putting a small scoop in the bonnet to get a bit more air and then when I have money get proper filters
Also do you have to get new jets? As I bought a zx9 and its only done about 5k miles so do you think I should still replace them??
Cheers Guys
P.s. getting my chassis in 2 weeks today!!!!!!!!

Jasper

posted on 28/3/03 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
sorry guys don't know much about this kinda thing but how come you need to go on a rolling road to test the air filters???

Because it the amount of air coming into the engine changes (most aftermarket filters allow more air in) then the mixture will alter, so it will need to be re-jetted. The best and most accuarate (and most expensive!) is on a roading road.

Also isn't it preferable to have them sticking out the bonnet as it will get better air flow??

As long as there is preferably cool air reaching the carbs then's it's fine. Don't worry about the 'ram-air' effect on the bike airbox, I've spoken to a couple of tuners who reacon this doesn't amount to much. Some of us dont like bonnet bulges/scoops so try to keep it all inside .

I'm thinking of making one similar to jon ison's then putting a small scoop in the bonnet to get a bit more air and then when I have money get proper filters.

Forget trying to make an airbox to fit the ZX9 filter, it is huge and triangular shaped, not the small neat rectangular shape of the blade one. You'll only do this if your happy to have it through the bonnet, and even then it will be hard to make it look pretty.

Also do you have to get new jets? As I bought a zx9 and its only done about 5k miles so do you think I should still replace them??

Jets don't get worn (as far as I know!). They only need replacing if the mixture changes, ie if you get a different more free-flowing filter

Cheers Guys
P.s. getting my chassis in 2 weeks today!!!!!!!!

Cool - all your donor bits ready to go?

Ben 4x4 Shepperd

posted on 29/3/03 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
they are all nearly ready! need to get the old sierra trailling arms of the rear axles but I need to borrow a big socket set of a friend up at the pub to remove the hubs also need to get the sierra prop shaft shortened. but thats about it apart from obtaining a manual steering rack today or next week and new front hubs from a 2wd sierra and mabye new rear ones too if i can get them But as I am unable to drive on the road I have to get lifts from people the whole time (or cycle )
cheers ben

[Edited on 29/3/03 by Ben 4x4 Shepperd]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.