Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: any info on twin bike engine 4wd car
kingr

posted on 4/7/03 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I can't think many gearboxes are going to take kindly to 10500RPM even if you could get a low enough geared diff.

Kingr

Simon

posted on 4/7/03 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Kingr

Both gearboxes present, hence the valley of the V so wide.

Engines mounted so one g/box output at each end, to common transfer box, to prop etc (that's how I see it anyway).

If you want to see how to do it properly, have a look at the V8 Bike pic (last one) in my archive.

Looks just like the factory might of made it. This guy (names escaped me) started doing this sort of thing with a Honda C90 (Ugh) and IIRC is currently working on two 6 cyl Z1300 - 240 bhp 2600cc V12 - (nearly) 10,000.

And he does it with a hacksaw (apparently).

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 4/7/03 by Simon]

kingr

posted on 4/7/03 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Are you refering to the Chris or Ned's pic? Chris's pic, yup granted, two gearboxes, but Ned's pic, I'm 99% no gearboxes, hence flywheel and clutch in picture.

Kingr

Simon

posted on 4/7/03 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Kingr

Was referring to Chris's pic. Completely missed Ned's link!!

Agree - no box. Looks v. nicely done. I reckon they've had new blocks/cranks cast, and bolted on the bike "barrels" and heads. Hence the price.

As for boxes, I don't reckon (anyone care to comment- please?) the engine will be putting out much more torque than two
bike engines - so combined engine fig of perhaps 250ft lb, which shouldn't be a problem. As for the RPM, I reckon they've thought of that, but if you're spending 20+grand on an engine, what's another 5 on a box?

Now, where's that Camelot ticket!

ATB

Simon

ned

posted on 4/7/03 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
makes you wonder how close the crank is, with all those rods in such a small space. also must have an interesting way of timing all the cams together (complex belt or chain drive i expect)

with regards to gearbox, i was talking about the image with the engine fitted into the quantum demo car:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/~ned/images/IMG_0147.jpg

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 5/7/03 at 02:50 AM Reply With Quote
I know of a V8 being built for Coram, based on twin ZX12s. It's all hush hush, and I'm not even sure if Coram are still going ahead with it, as I haven't spoken to the engine's builder since I got out of hospital. Not sure I should be saying all this!
I'll post a pic of it next week, when I'm back on my main puter (hence no nice smilies recently!).

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 7/7/03 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
well, the electric balancing of power to wheels for handling works perfectly well for the nissan skyline, admittably it only has one engine though!!

Ned.

I didnt say that electronic control was bad at all, in fact I said that was good (with reference to trick diffs etc), but unlike in a Z100WR, a Skyline (or WRC car etc) uses electronics to control the diffs, not the engine. Its when you start trying to provide accurate control of power distribution simply by trying to control the output power of the engine that it all goes pear shaped IMHO

Chris

Hugh Paterson

posted on 17/7/03 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Coram V8

Ah Rorty, you're right it is hush hush, and I dont think the boys would be amused if a photograph of the thing appeared in this forum, its not public knowledge here yet, the current cars are only built with the ZX9 and ZX12 engines, the beast u whisper about is for the next development of the current chassis. I would have thought details of it would be better coming from the designer or the prospective customers?
regards
Shug.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 17/7/03 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just dont hold your breath, this "hush hush" engine has been talked about freely by Coram staff for a couple of years (with regards to its existence rather than technical detail) and nothing has materialised in a Coram yet.
Hugh Paterson

posted on 17/7/03 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Couple of years?

Mmmmmmmmmm couple of years, the Coram team has only been around full time since last August, and the prototype construction commenced in December 2002. Development time for an engine with a major manufacturer is currently 3 years or so (ish), and thats just to get it reliable for every day use in a road car never mind the loads expected in a track car. At the outside I think they are at the seven month mark since inital contact, Im just glad time does not pass so quick in my wee world damn got to go I seem to be popping my clogs early! arghhhhhhhhhh.
Shug

ChrisGamlin

posted on 17/7/03 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, so the Coram that was talked up vigorously and initially scheduled to appear at the Autosport show in Jan 2002 has nothing to do with this car then?
ijohnston99

posted on 17/7/03 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
What planet do you live on?? Coram appeared at Autosport in Jan 2003 and as Hugh says they weren't in existance as a company etc until Aug 2002.

Maybe you should lay off of that Maui Wowee!

Either that or your time machine needs an adjustment with a bigger hammer!

ChrisGamlin

posted on 17/7/03 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm perfectly happy on planet earth ta, Ive got absolutely nothing against Coram and the remark was meant to be tongue in cheek but I admit maybe didnt come across that way.
Anyway, no matter what you say, the car has been in the making before August last year even if Coram wasnt a company as such, and the mention of a V8 engine has also been mentioned regularly for a similar time without any engine actually appearing.

Dated 16/4/02

cheers
Chris

[Edited on 17/7/03 by ChrisGamlin]

Rorty

posted on 18/7/03 at 01:47 AM Reply With Quote
I have no connection with Coram, Chris Gamlin et al, but I've been aware of this V8 program for well over a year and a half.
I won't divulge any of the details or pics, even though since my last post above, I have had a "tip off" about the exact same engine from a UK source who had just seen a pic of the "new" engine!

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Noodle

posted on 20/7/03 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
A few years back, Hart did a V8 with 2x Yamaha FZR1000 Exup engines.

Can't remember what it was for, but they gave me a bag of crap for asking why they'd bolted 2 such engines to a common crankcase. They showed it at the British Motor Show probably 10-ish years ago.

Brian Hart's outfit was aquired by TWR a few years back, now in receivership.

I wonder who's got one of these motors?

Cheers,

Neil.

Noodle

posted on 20/7/03 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
... and another thing, there could be lubrication issues with converting the engine to inline, and also the slant of the motor (assuming it's reversed from it's motorcycle installation) could perhaps put pressure on piston faces that weren't designed for it.

Bit of a stab in the dark that one, but a mate was working on the K-series V6 at Powertrain (Rover's engine supplier) and he had similar issues. Surely a higher stressed bike engine could be worse.

Cheers,

Neil.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.