Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Has anyone actually got a car with motorcycle coilovers on the road?
John P

posted on 23/12/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone actually got a car with motorcycle coilovers on the road?

I know that a few years ago there was a lot of talk about using bike coilovers as a locost source of suspension units.

From what I can find most of the discussion revolved around Yamaha R1 or R6 coilovers used with pushrod suspension.

I'm just planning for later but wondered if anyone had actually got a car on the road since most of the info I've found was from those still building.

I know shocks are very important to handling and that buying GAZ or similar would be ideal but I don't have the funds for that solution (and the way things are going on the job front probably won't) whereas I do have plenty of time.

John.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 23/12/09 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah chrisf on here built, raced, drove and sold a fireblade 7 with bike coilies on the back.

Iirc Bob C and he did a lot of solidworks modelling to get the rocker ratio right.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

steve m

posted on 23/12/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I had brand new honda goldwing coil overs at the back on my locost,

they lasted about 100 miles !!
one had no oil and the other broke the mounting lug off

scootz

posted on 23/12/09 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Bike shocks are not cheap either!

It's Evolution Baby!

Doug68

posted on 24/12/09 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
Typical sports motorcycles these days have roughly 4.5" to 6" of rear wheel travel.
Therefore the motion ratio used on a Locost will not be that different to how the thing was designed to be used on the bike. If anything it will be higher given the normal 4" movement aim at for Locosts.

Suspension on motorcycles is typically far more sophisticated than on a production car, big efforts are made to reduce "stiction". For example it’s not unusual for all the bearing in the rear suspension linkages and pivots to be needle roller bearings.

On the other side of things the spring rates and damping may not be where you want it, the unsprung mass on a bike will be a lot less than on car for sure.

Steve Grabber with his La Bala uses bike shock as part of the design:

http://www.grabercars.com/

[Edited on 24/12/09 by Doug68]

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.