New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Road Tax Rant
bj928

posted on 1/4/11 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
quote:
Originally posted by bj928
well i have had enough of this country, and should be back off to america to work in a few weeks, more money in my pocket, and fuel at just 55p a litre, and my visa means i don't pay tax in either country, game on, i have a choice, and decided to leave, anyone wishing to join me, would the last one out please turn off the light

BJ ....was it hard to find a job over there? I'd love to be brave enough to move to another country but that would be my worry, could I get a decent reliable well paying job! Is it driving you do?

i'm driving the big 18 wheelers, i looked everywhere for a way in as a truck driver, and the only way i could find was as a harvest crew member, i was lucky and landed a job with a company that runs a few trucks over the road on long haul work, and so didn't have to go on the harvest, but from what i here the harvest crews have a lot of fun, depending what job you want and/or what skills you have, there is always a way in to America, send me a PM if you want to know more and i might be able to point you in the right direction, its got to be better than this country these days

coyoteboy

posted on 1/4/11 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

What REALY gets on my ti*s are the Tory to**ers who continually say that it is the fault of the previous administration that we are in this position now

You mean exactly like the labour ones before them, who prattled on for 13 years about how they had inherited a problem (but after so long still hadn't managed to sort it out, and in fact made it worse)?

All politicians are driven by greed and desire to be in power, not by the desire to do the right thing. None of the opposition parties get to see the whole detail of day to day running so each successive government is in the dark when planning policy, leading to many things appearing to be lies, and it doesn't help that there's not really any easy answer to the problems that are here now - either way has massive issues, so neither choice will be popular. I just get a tad sick of people weilding party-political nonsense based on 20 year old stereotypes and ideals to moan about one party over another, rather than looking at problems as they currently are and looking at the possible solutions as they lie.

/rant

dlatch

posted on 2/4/11 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
You mean exactly like the labour ones before them, who prattled on for 13 years about how they had inherited a problem (but after so long still hadn't managed to sort it out, and in fact made it worse)?

All politicians are driven by greed and desire to be in power, not by the desire to do the right thing. None of the opposition parties get to see the whole detail of day to day running so each successive government is in the dark when planning policy, leading to many things appearing to be lies, and it doesn't help that there's not really any easy answer to the problems that are here now - either way has massive issues, so neither choice will be popular. I just get a tad sick of people weilding party-political nonsense based on 20 year old stereotypes and ideals to moan about one party over another, rather than looking at problems as they currently are and looking at the possible solutions as they lie.

/rant

spot on you get my vote

is really boils my wee when labour supporters still blame thatcher about loss of industry in this country when labour done nothing to bring it back in the 13 years of power.
Bottom line is they are all a shower of poo

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
myke pocock

posted on 2/4/11 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
What you have failed to see is that I am saying that the current bunch of numpties are talking as if things would be tickety boo now if they had been in power and we wouldnt be in any kind of mess. I THINK NOT!!!
daviep

posted on 2/4/11 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
well i have had enough of this country, and should be back off to america to work in a few weeks, more money in my pocket, and fuel at just 55p a litre, and my visa means i don't pay tax in either country, game on, i have a choice, and decided to leave, anyone wishing to join me, would the last one out please turn off the light

BJ ....was it hard to find a job over there? I'd love to be brave enough to move to another country but that would be my worry, could I get a decent reliable well paying job! Is it driving you do?

i'm driving the big 18 wheelers, i looked everywhere for a way in as a truck driver, and the only way i could find was as a harvest crew member, i was lucky and landed a job with a company that runs a few trucks over the road on long haul work, and so didn't have to go on the harvest, but from what i here the harvest crews have a lot of fun, depending what job you want and/or what skills you have, there is always a way in to America, send me a PM if you want to know more and i might be able to point you in the right direction, its got to be better than this country these days

Have you done this before or is this the first time? I did something similar 2 years ago and spent less than 90 days in the UK but still had to pay my taxes, I even went to see a speciality accountant but to no avail.

The reason was a few years ago the definition of whether you are resident in the UK as "revised". Now if you have family, property etc etc in the UK and return within I think within 3 years you are considered "domiciled" in the UK and required to pay tax. I do know guys however who were payed abroad, lived in the UK but never paid their tax. I also know one guy who got caught 2 years after he came back and re-started working in the UK.

I guess what I'm saying is if you live in the UK be careful as you are probably legally meant to declare your income and pay income tax even if nobody asks for it.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

bj928

posted on 2/4/11 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:
quote:
quote:

Have you done this before or is this the first time? I did something similar 2 years ago and spent less than 90 days in the UK but still had to pay my taxes, I even went to see a speciality accountant but to no avail.

The reason was a few years ago the definition of whether you are resident in the UK as "revised". Now if you have family, property etc etc in the UK and return within I think within 3 years you are considered "domiciled" in the UK and required to pay tax. I do know guys however who were payed abroad, lived in the UK but never paid their tax. I also know one guy who got caught 2 years after he came back and re-started working in the UK.

I guess what I'm saying is if you live in the UK be careful as you are probably legally meant to declare your income and pay income tax even if nobody asks for it.

Davie

this is my first time, but i don't have any property or family in UK, so all uk is to me, is a passport, and where i have to come to get a new visa, i have a C/O postal address, and thats it, oh and a basic savings account, if i get asked for tax in the UK i will have to pay it, but i won't go looking to pay it.

daviep

posted on 2/4/11 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
this is my first time, but i don't have any property or family in UK, so all uk is to me, is a passport, and where i have to come to get a new visa, i have a C/O postal address, and thats it, oh and a basic savings account, if i get asked for tax in the UK i will have to pay it, but i won't go looking to pay it.

I'm very jealous, sounds like ace fun, good luck.

Regards
Davie

jollygreengiant

posted on 2/4/11 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
What REALY gets on my ti*s are the Tory to**ers who continually say that it is the fault of the previous administration that we are in this position now. Do they REALY think that things would have been any better with them in place? I think the Chuckle Brothers (CAMCLEG) have been wielding a big stick and sending out a script for the ConDem faithfull to spew out at every opportunity.
And I do, of course, agree with the Maggie theory.

At work I get continually slagged off as a 'typical tory supporter' by our controller every time I critisise the previous government because she is a died in the wool 100% labour supporter (because her father was). The truth is that if anything, my own personal political belief is probably more communist than anything. Her response just makes me laugh and she cannot work out why (I have not told her about my real belief and political leanings).

So just to make a point.

The previous government has a LOT to answer for. They have sold the UK down the river without a paddle and were only interested in serving themselves.

JGG

[Edited on 3/4/11 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

nitram38

posted on 3/4/11 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
ALL governments in nearly every European Country and the USA all created a Credit Fueled Economy.
They rode it and if you weren't sensible, YOU fell for it.
People have short memories about recession. I don't.
I've learned to save when I have excess, not use credit to buy and go without the latest "must have" until I can pay for them outright.
I've also kept my outgoings low so I can survive when times are hard. Most people increase their spending to match their income and when the overtime is cut back, are in a poor financial state.
Don't Blame anyone other than yourselves for taking out credit agreements, credit cards, loans etc.
It used to be that a man could borrow 1 times his annual income to buy a house. Now its 5 times a joint income.
You still end up with the same 3 bed semi except now you and your partner are paying 9 times more for it.
Supply and demand. You were lent 5 times joint incomes, house prices rose to absorb the available money.
Now only Childless, highly paid professionals can afford to buy basic housing.

The definition of insanity: Doing the same as everyone else and expecting a different result

If you follow others, you will end up where they are!

It's no good moaning about other people causing your misery when you were part of the problem in the first place!

jollygreengiant

posted on 3/4/11 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
ALL governments in nearly every European Country and the USA all created a Credit Fueled Economy.
They rode it and if you weren't sensible, YOU fell for it.
People have short memories about recession. I don't.
I've learned to save when I have excess, not use credit to buy and go without the latest "must have" until I can pay for them outright.
I've also kept my outgoings low so I can survive when times are hard. Most people increase their spending to match their income and when the overtime is cut back, are in a poor financial state.
Don't Blame anyone other than yourselves for taking out credit agreements, credit cards, loans etc.
It used to be that a man could borrow 1 times his annual income to buy a house. Now its 5 times a joint income.
You still end up with the same 3 bed semi except now you and your partner are paying 9 times more for it.
Supply and demand. You were lent 5 times joint incomes, house prices rose to absorb the available money.
Now only Childless, highly paid professionals can afford to buy basic housing.

The definition of insanity: Doing the same as everyone else and expecting a different result

If you follow others, you will end up where they are!

It's no good moaning about other people causing your misery when you were part of the problem in the first place!

Well said. And the only people that have really benefited from all the money lending since the end of the last war are the rich and the unscrupulous (the latter, who have mostly been bankers and politicians).

edit bit.
The only reasons why I built a kit car were that I wanted a cheap run about, I wanted to recycle an old car and because I mostly had the skills that meant I could. I was not built as a luxury toy.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

bj928

posted on 3/4/11 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
i don't know how america has got into trouble, most people can earn a good wage, as i'm a truck driver over there i know how much a normal truck driver can earn, and average is about $45,000, now unlike the uK, you can get on the property ladder for half that if you look around, yes, you can still buy plenty of places in america for the price of a used car, even a place in florida near the disney with a pool and 3 beds are only $150k, about £100k, in the mid west where i'm based most areas have property for $20k and up, maybe even less, it may need a little TLC but not much, a quick search found this as an example, not the cheapest but an idea, still only $26000 for a 4 bed place http://www.texasrealestate.com/search/homeDetails.cfm?id=1003027277
nitram38

posted on 3/4/11 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
i don't know how america has got into trouble, most people can earn a good wage, as i'm a truck driver over there i know how much a normal truck driver can earn, and average is about $45,000, now unlike the uK, you can get on the property ladder for half that if you look around, yes, you can still buy plenty of places in america for the price of a used car, even a place in florida near the disney with a pool and 3 beds are only $150k, about £100k, in the mid west where i'm based most areas have property for $20k and up, maybe even less, it may need a little TLC but not much, a quick search found this as an example, not the cheapest but an idea, still only $26000 for a 4 bed place http://www.texasrealestate.com/search/homeDetails.cfm?id=1003027277

Its all relative though.
Lower taxes but high health care costs and lots of poor people. I've been all over florida and the have and have nots are easy to see

Ninehigh

posted on 3/4/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
These threads make me laugh, moan all you like but it aint going to get better in the near future.

The squeeze has only just strated and everybody is crying already, wait until things really start to bite. This isn't going to be another of our magic six month recessions, things might start looking better in 5 or 6 years time. In the meantime we can expect less public spending and the weak pound to push the price of imported commodities up.

The hard facts are we have all had it to good for too long, and now the elastic credit cards that the country has been running on are all maxed out and we need to start repaying.

Davie

Define "looking better" and "had it good" please... I'm one of the few that hasn't felt the effect of this recession because I've been broke all this time... For most of my life I've been working to afford to get to work, and the only reason I'm as rich as I am is because Tony Blair made it illegal for a company to pay me less (and I'm in no doubt they would do too)

Now it's costing me more and more to get to a job I despise that I only do in order to get there and have somewhere to have come from... and barely a week goes by where I don't ask the eternal question "Remind me why we bother again? Why haven't we left this insult of a country and gone to live somewhere where intelligence isn't a minority?"

Missus is starting to see my point now...

daviep

posted on 3/4/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Define "looking better" and "had it good" please... I'm one of the few that hasn't felt the effect of this recession because I've been broke all this time... For most of my life I've been working to afford to get to work, and the only reason I'm as rich as I am is because Tony Blair made it illegal for a company to pay me less (and I'm in no doubt they would do too)

Now it's costing me more and more to get to a job I despise that I only do in order to get there and have somewhere to have come from... and barely a week goes by where I don't ask the eternal question "Remind me why we bother again? Why haven't we left this insult of a country and gone to live somewhere where intelligence isn't a minority?"

Missus is starting to see my point now...

Had it too good:-

Take a walk down any high street and count how many cars under 5 years old you see, probably the vast majority, also count the amount of iphones you see. Go to your local tip any day of the week and see how many perfectly good TV's are piled up after being junked in favour of 50" plasmas. These are all luxury goods and I'm sure a lot of them are being purchased on credit which people can't afford to repay.

Looking better :-

We eventually manage to become competitive in the global market again, we begin exporting products and the country becomes solvent, public spending is increased and we're all happy again

I can't comment on your personal circumstances but if your job isn't allowing you to live the lifestyle you desire then you need a different job, if this isn't possible where you are you need to move or consider working away from home. I served my time as a mechanic, after I got my first wage as a qualified man I realised that it was never going to allow me to live any kind of decent lifestyle, within 2 months I had quit and moved to get in to the oil industry. I'm now making at least 3x what I could imagine making as an agricultural mechanic.

Cheers
Davie

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.