Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rear engine 4x4 maybe mid engine
Doug68

posted on 17/1/12 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
The flipping of gearboxes is common in mid-engine land, particularly for GT40’s and the like, commonly done with Porsche units such as the G50 as they are the strongest ‘reasonably’ priced units available. So I would be surprised if the Subaru unit would not work acceptably in this config. Of course an adapter plate will be required, which’ll stuff up the use of the standard flywheel I expect.

Refer to www.gt40s.com and search in the transmission section for help on the above.

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

chimney sweeper

posted on 17/1/12 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Only the drive train is fliped not the engine.

Some one told me that honda engines spin the oposite way to other engines? if that is true I would not have to flip diffs and boxes with eather drive train would I.

If it isn't broken fix it till it is

owelly

posted on 17/1/12 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
No, but you'd be having 5 reverse gears......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chimney sweeper

posted on 17/1/12 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at it B,D and H Honda motors spin the other way so no diff flipping needed with the above mid or rear engine set ups, May make things easyer

TheGecko

posted on 17/1/12 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chimney sweeper
Looking at it B,D and H Honda motors spin the other way so no diff flipping needed with the above mid or rear engine set ups, May make things easyer
You might want to read up on axial thrust in helical gear sets before you think too much about running a whole gearbox/drive train backwards. It would destroy itself eventually because all of the thrust didirections are reversed.

D

coyoteboy

posted on 17/1/12 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, running it in reverse will trash it in a matter of miles.
chimney sweeper

posted on 17/1/12 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I kn ow alot of the 4x4 of road racer guys do it with out a problem but I have wondered about it.

Have also seen an MGB with honda engine and fliped rear axle that had done over 30,000miles without problem. I am sure I could find plenty of people who have had a problem as well, this is the reason I am posting on here.

daviep

posted on 17/1/12 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chimney sweeper
I kn ow alot of the 4x4 of road racer guys do it with out a problem but I have wondered about it.

Have also seen an MGB with honda engine and fliped rear axle that had done over 30,000miles without problem. I am sure I could find plenty of people who have had a problem as well, this is the reason I am posting on here.

When you flip an axle or diff they are still turning the input shaft the correct way but because the pinion is on the opposite side of the crown wheel only the output direction is reversed so the whole assembly is still working as designed.

Reversing the input shaft direction of a gearbox means all the gears and bearings are running the opposite direction to how they were designed.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

chimney sweeper

posted on 17/1/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Very true never thought of that, rules out the Honda engine then

Ninehigh

posted on 17/1/12 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Couldn't the gearbox be slightly modifed to reverse the direction at the point where the engine enters the box?

coyoteboy

posted on 17/1/12 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose you could interface a simple 1:1 reversal box right off the crank to get it back to gearbox input direction, but you're adding complexity, weight and failure modes left right and centre.
Ninehigh

posted on 17/1/12 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'm thinking that on the input shaft, thus no need to add anything more than one shaft, the 1:1 gears and the fittings to hold said shaft down

JC

posted on 17/1/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
How about a FWD engine, gearbox and driveshafts, turned through 90 degrees so the driveshafts run fore/aft, connected to 2 more diffs for the front and rear axles? Ratios might be a problem...?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chimney sweeper

posted on 17/1/12 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ruled that idea out due to your last coment, I want to use this car alot not top out at 6000rpm at 55mph

[Edited on 17/1/12 by chimney sweeper]

coyoteboy

posted on 18/1/12 at 02:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm thinking that on the input shaft, thus no need to add anything more than one shaft, the 1:1 gears and the fittings to hold said shaft down

Yup, that's what I was thinking but that still means a secondary gearbox, new (offset) bell housing, possibly clutch and fly arrangement.....

[Edited on 18/1/12 by coyoteboy]

TQ_uk

posted on 19/1/12 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
In your 'thinking/driving' post you mention now losing the rear seats and going midengine.
In which case I think I'd go back to the Scooby scenario, & going 2WD, i.e losing the original rear prop output and using the transaxle to drive the rear wheels (if you follow)

chimney sweeper

posted on 19/1/12 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
2WD is an option but think it would be easyer to go with Audi engine and box as I think an Audi 2WD box would be easyer to find so would not have to spend time and money modding a Subaru box, I aim to build it for as little money as posible but be a good looking semi daily driver.

I could hunt down a passat vr6 like the cheep one that I just missed on EBay for engine and box, then I just need to think about front and rear uprights, I have an old BMW 728i on the drive that no one wants to buy so I could use the uprights of that if not going 4WD and I have some BMW PCD wheels tht i want to use as well.

violentblue

posted on 19/1/12 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~ttriebler/
you can get reverse cut ring gears for the subaru box, simplifys everything.
I'm planning on doing an all wheel drive beetle eventually.

a few pics of my other projects

chimney sweeper

posted on 19/1/12 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Will have to find the price of reverse gears for the subaru box, will more than likely be over budget especially with shipping as this is a budget project like all my past projects

coyoteboy

posted on 20/1/12 at 01:32 AM Reply With Quote
Just don't under-estimate the cost of screwing around with the rest of it though, or the cost of not having what you want. I like to make everything, but sometimes you can't beat paying a bit and not having to mess about endlessly.
chimney sweeper

posted on 20/1/12 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean mate I like to do everything myself but have had to pay someone to do some welding on my race car because in the run up to xmas I have no time and did not want the project to stall, also want it finished by the first race in April.

You do have to weigh up cost and time

JoelP

posted on 20/1/12 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt you need to pay $1500 for that reverse ring gear. Look on HPC gears website, maybe call their technical line, im sure if you can send in the original then they can make a mirror image (assuming thats all it is).

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

coyoteboy

posted on 21/1/12 at 01:57 AM Reply With Quote
We've been looking at a small project involving an off-the-shelf worm and gear system for low torque use (around 12Nm) and the cheapest quote we have so far is £100 delivered, for a couple of bits no more than 3" diameter.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.