Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Specifying Brake Disc Size?
GRRR

posted on 3/2/12 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Specifying Brake Disc Size?

Hi all,

I'm running through brake disc options for a Mid Engined kit car project with the following target specs:

Weight (wet) ~ 750kg
16" Wheels
150 - 250bhp depending on spec
Useage is expected to be 65% road use 35% track day.

and I'm picking components at present. Lots of options for brakes, with custom bells and rotors etc, but to start with I want to use OEM stuff, my first thoughts were 280mm x 10mm solid discs all round with HiSpec Ultralites ont the front, VW alloy 38mm piston handbrake caliper on the rear.

The trouble is most front engined cars have tiny solid discs leaving me with few options that will require the centre bore to be opened up, and new stud holes on a new pcd drilled.

So before I plough ahead with sorting out this discs size, does anyone have any experience with sizing of discs? Does 280 sound ok? Or is it a case of try it and see?

I note the elise has 288ish vented all round, my old MR2 had 308ish venteds, but then the lightweight MEVs reuse standard focus discs which are pretty small. I wouldn't have thought I'd need vented at this vehicle weight and would be better building and keeping sensible heat in the solid discs.

Thanks in advance all, I know there's some bulging brain cells on this forum. As long as you've not all hit the friday night beers yet..

loggyboy

posted on 3/2/12 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
My 750 kilo 180bhp Nova stopped perfectly on 256mm standard vented GM callipers/discs.
Not sure how it would have stood up to long term track abuse, but i know 288s cavalier turbo/v6 brakes were a popular upgrade. Is it a road or track targetted car?

[Edited on 3/2/12 by loggyboy]

GRRR

posted on 3/2/12 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
In black and white terms it looks like a track car, but certainly will get plenty of road use. But I think people would expect it to be fully capable of several hard laps on a track day without fade.
MakeEverything

posted on 3/2/12 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
I would stick with Sierra stuff. Its cheap and can be upgraded later. Ive got solid discs all round, and plan to cross drill them when i get a new set, to relieve some heat.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

loggyboy

posted on 3/2/12 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
vented discs, circa 280mm would be my choice. It not like you need to retain much heat in metal discs. 750kg is 'quite' heavy in kitcar terms.
loggyboy

posted on 3/2/12 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
I would stick with Sierra stuff. Its cheap and can be upgraded later. Ive got solid discs all round, and plan to cross drill them when i get a new set, to relieve some heat.

Isnt drilling discs bad, I thought this can lead to cracking under extreme heat.

mark chandler

posted on 3/2/12 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have vented discs sat within 13" wheels on my little car, I cannot even get them hot on the track.

Do not under estimate the power of little brakes, they were designed for much heavier cars.

rdodger

posted on 3/2/12 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
On my GTM Libra, 750ish KG with 170bhp I ran 305mm discs with AP calipers on the front and 260mm MGF solid rears. It was immense on track and never even hinted they might fade. They very rarely got hot enough on the road though.

The best all round set up on the Libra I found to be 280mm with Hispec 4 pots and MGF on the rear. My prefered pad was Mintex 1144.

GRRR

posted on 3/2/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
There is an element of looks inevitably, 252 rear sierra discs might look a bit feeble under 16" wheels! I can use 274 vented on the front, 280 solid on the rear with no machining required, and that means i can use VW rear calipers, then use a dual master cylinder pedal box to trim the bias, that might be a reasonable setup? Definitely useful to hear you guys' track experiences though as I have none yet!

Thanks

GRRR

posted on 3/2/12 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
On my GTM Libra, 750ish KG with 170bhp I ran 305mm discs with AP calipers on the front and 260mm MGF solid rears. It was immense on track and never even hinted they might fade. They very rarely got hot enough on the road though.

The best all round set up on the Libra I found to be 280mm with Hispec 4 pots and MGF on the rear. My prefered pad was Mintex 1144.

Was going to PM you but I guess forums are for sharing the knowledge! This is useful info, so would you say your track setup was too big for the road i.e. cold slippy brakes half the time?

The 'all round setup' sounds close to what i was planning, was that a 4x100pcd, if so what were the fronts (280 discs) from?

On both, how did you balance them, master cylinder with bias-bar?

tadltd

posted on 7/2/12 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
Are you designing this car?

If so, why aren't you working out what size brakes you need? Do the calc's...

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 7/2/12 at 02:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tadltd

Slightly harsh, from the post I read that he was planning on doing the calcs but identifying what's the generally accepted sizings out there on similar vehicles.

Certain well respected designers advocate the "see what everyone else is doing that works and work from there" principal, why start from scratch on every problem?

tul214

posted on 7/2/12 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
If you are looking for a 4x100 fitment, what about the R56 Mini Cooper S brakes. That uses 294mm x 22mm vented on the front and 259mmx10mm solids on the rear.

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

britishtrident

posted on 7/2/12 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Fitting rear discs that are a larger diameter than the front discs even on a mid-engined car is not a good idea, even a rear engined car like a 911 or Davrian works best with equal sized discs all round.

A main objective should be to get similar pedal response characteristics from the front and rear brakes as they warm up.

Race & rally davrians used 10.25" (260mm) dia discs all round and like the rdodgers's Libra brakes were pretty immense.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

rdodger

posted on 7/2/12 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GRRR
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger

Was going to PM you but I guess forums are for sharing the knowledge! This is useful info, so would you say your track setup was too big for the road i.e. cold slippy brakes half the time?

The 'all round setup' sounds close to what i was planning, was that a 4x100pcd, if so what were the fronts (280 discs) from?

On both, how did you balance them, master cylinder with bias-bar?

The MGF PCD is something odd at 98. whatever.

If you fancy 280mm the VW Corrado G60 disc is cheap and 280mm 100 pcd.

Balance was "designed" in. It used a Metro master cylinder and no balance bar etc. I spent a some time getting the balance right using pads and different rear discs. At 1 point I had 280mm on the rear but that led to some interesting rear lock ups.

To answer the question yes the fronts just never got hot on the road. Well not UK roads. They got plenty hot on the Col de Turini. They still worked well just not as sharp as you would expect.

To be honest the Libra set up is handicapped by the pedal ratio at something like 4:1. That was on my list if I had kept the car.

coyoteboy

posted on 7/2/12 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

A main objective should be to get similar pedal response characteristics from the front and rear brakes as they warm up.

Naturally. But that would surely rely on having the same braking power at each axle, which generally you don't, even on a mid or rear engine'd setup? Even mid/rear you still have a fairly large forward brake bias, similar sized discs would heat up faster at the front, reducing this?

And I have to say, on the 911, the rears don't look even close to the same size as the fronts:
http://911car.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/911-Side-View.jpg

[Edited on 7/2/12 by coyoteboy]

britishtrident

posted on 7/2/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
The trick is to balance the way the brakes warm up so you don't end up with the brake balance being different hot and cold, the key is to match the rate of increase in brake temperature ie if the rear brakes do 40% of the work the rear brakes should have 2/3rd the heat dispersal capacity of the fronts.

FIAT had major problems with this on the Lamcia (Beta) Montecarlo so bad they halted production for a couple of years FIATs quick and dirty solution to the premature front locking problem was novel they simple deleted the brake servo ---- Yes I know !!!!!!! ho-hum ;-) Needless to say the revised Mk2 Beta Montecalo till had lousy brakes.

Incidentally the reason why the MG TF and later Metro wheel PCD size was odd is it was changed so the they could use production tooling from the Morris Marina/Triumph Herald era. In contrast the Rover 25/45 PCD was 100mm ---- ??????

[/I]

coyoteboy

posted on 7/2/12 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The trick is to balance the way the brakes warm up so you don't end up with the brake balance being different hot and cold, the key is to match the rate of increase in brake temperature ie if the rear brakes do 40% of the work the rear brakes should have 2/3rd the heat dispersal capacity of the fronts.

But doesn't that lead to smaller rears, assuming as I do from literature and some level of practice, that usually front brakes do 70-80% of the work? Meaning same-size rotors would be a bit odd? Not trying to hound you but you seem to be contradicting your original statement, unless you are saying most mid/rear cars have 50:50 braking distribution, which seems unlikely.

britishtrident

posted on 7/2/12 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
In a rear engine racer/lightweight sports car the static weight weight distribution is likely to be around 30% front and 70% rear A mid-engined will have a bit more weight on the front but still no more than about 40%. front 60% rear

Under braking due to dynamic transfer the rear engined car will have 50%-50% The mid engined car car more like 60%-40%. In contrast a front engined car will be anywhere from 70% front 30% rear on a Seven style car to 95% front 5% rear on a smallest fwd

On Imp engined Davrian race and rally cars the brake were identical front and rear with same bore master cylinders in each circuit, I remember the verbal instructions from Tim Duffee at Davrian were spot on "Set the the balance bar dead centre there should need no more than one turn adjustment in either direction to suit conditions"

[/I]

hughpinder

posted on 7/2/12 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, Ive done some calcs for my midi:
The weight including 80kg passenger will be ca 690 kg, with a 61R/39FR weight split when static.
At 1.3G braking the weight split will be 42R/58 front.
At 1.9g braking the weight split will be 33R/67F (maximum with warmed up track tyres and perfect surface before fronts will lock)

Don't forget the braking force is proportional to the disc diameter (at the centre of the pad roughly, not the outer diameter) and the area of the pistons pushing the pads onto the disk. I'm assuming you use the same type of brake pads front and rear. I'm using a dual circuit master cylinder with the same bores to front and rear (so I could do a traditional split circuit with one front and the opposite diagonal rear on each circuit if I wanted)
I plan to use mx5 calipers at the front, since I'm using mx5 uprights, which have a piston diameter of 51mm, and mk1 disks are 184mm OD.
To balance this, I have chosen VW golf rear calipers (31.8mm diameter pistons) and 200mm disks)
This will give a situation in wet or dry with road or track tyres, where the fronts lock before the rears. So you can have a larger rear disk at the rear - it all depends on your caliper cross sectional area. The VW calipers only have something like 64% of the front caliper cross section in my case.

Hope that helps
Hugh

coyoteboy

posted on 7/2/12 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
FYI the 2011 Atom V8 runs 290mm Vented 4 pots front and rear. Seems over-braked intuitively but I've run no calcs and I'm sure they have...
britishtrident

posted on 7/2/12 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
An interesting thing that comes in the maths is assuming the the braking force acts at the radius of centre of the caliper piston/pad then in ball park figures the majority of the braking energy is absorbed by the part of the disk swept by outer 1/3rd of the pad.

The ability of the brake disc to dissipate heat energy of course goes up in proportion to the outer diameter of the disc.

[/I]

rdodger

posted on 7/2/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
I think that if the car being built is around the 700kg mark then I would be having a close look at what the S1 Elise and exige use. Both in terms of disc size but caliper and master cylinder. From there a small increase both front and back should see it about right for track work IMO.
coyoteboy

posted on 7/2/12 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
FYI Elise S2 (190hp):
282mm diameter ventilated discs with Lotus/AP Racing 2 piston aluminium front callipers and racing pads.

Generally accepted as plenty for track use too, from what I read.

tadltd

posted on 7/2/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I fail to see what's harsh about this. I thought it was a fair statement, and so did my colleagues in the design office. In fact they found it baffling that someone even mentioned that my questions were harsh.

With all due respect, if you're designing a car from scratch, you cannot randomly select braking performance based on opinions, conjecture and what other solutions look like. At best it's poor engineering, at worst it's fatally dangerous. Not just to the driver and passenger(s), but to other road users, pedestrians, etc...

Doing the calc's will define the parameters of the system that are important, then allow the proper sizing of the components to deliver the solution. From this information you can select an appropriate set of components from what's available off the shelf, with contingency/factor of safety, and therefore with minimal risk. You can then look at what other solutions are applied on other vehicles to get a feel for whether you're in the right ball park with your own design.

In the original post, I didn't see any mention or indication that calculations were going to be carried out, which is why I mentioned it. It also concerned me that "looks" seemed to be important in the selection of parts.

(BTW - It's also worth remembering that most OEM brake systems rely on vacuum assistance to aid performance...)

If the 'harsh' questions make someone stop and think about what they're doing, then lead to a safe design solution that keeps them out of harm's way when that solution is called upon to perform, then I'll keep asking them.

These cars can be enormous fun, but don't ever lose sight of the fact that they can be dangerous. A good braking system is the first line of defence when things start to go wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:
Originally posted by tadltd

Slightly harsh, from the post I read that he was planning on doing the calcs but identifying what's the generally accepted sizings out there on similar vehicles.

Certain well respected designers advocate the "see what everyone else is doing that works and work from there" principal, why start from scratch on every problem?
then

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.