Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy R - Hayabusa Turbo
Bigbaddom

posted on 28/3/14 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Awesome progress on this mate - keep up the great work! It always amazes me when people take a great car and have the foresight to make it even greater :-)
jwhatley

posted on 19/4/14 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
So its been a while since the last update. Im very close to getting back on the road, Tax and Insurance on 1st may should be easy.

Whilst waiting for the cam shims to turn up i decided to finish off the dash fit, quite happy with how it tuned out.

Engine was built back up after setting the cam lash and put back in to the car.

Suspension put back together and then rolled the car outside to clean the garage out! it gets quite a mess after 5 months!

Then it was time to modify the plenum, because the boost pipes can't get to the charge cooler due to the addition of the pedal box. So we moved the inlet pipe, and used the existing inlet pipe as the BOV mounting point. All in all turned out like it was made to fit, which is always a bonus!

And finished the steering column

And, she starts and Runs! very happy with that!

jwhatley

posted on 6/5/14 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
So a nice update, car is back on the road now and all seems to be good.

A few pics just before taking it on on its maiden voyage to good wood on sunday.

Now for the good bit. After searching for a reputable mapping company who are coherent with turbo busa's i was directed by jack at holeshot to Advanced Mortorsport and Engineering, based in silverstone next to TTS performance, who had done a few of jacks bikes and cars.

Dan was great, id recommend him to anyone. They use hub dynos which are far more accurate and safe than a normal rolling road. Plus you don't kill tyres

All on the dyno ready to go:

Initial baseline figures or 454Bhp/263ftlb at target boost. This was running slightly lean though as the injectors were at full duty, so we decided to back it off A - to save the engine and B - Why do i need 450bhp??

This is what happens when theres too much boost:

Baseline torque curve:

And after mapping, making a bracket to hold the inlet manifold in place:

And with my boost controller settings:

All in all, 413bhp and 243lbft is more than enough.

Now i just have to ask myself the question..... do i put bigger injectors in it??......

Proby

posted on 6/5/14 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Bigger injectors are the way to go if you want more, but I'd also consider a parachute! !!!

Visit GraphicMonster

jeffw

posted on 6/5/14 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
What injectors are you running already? I've got 700cc injectors at 3.5Bar fuel pressure if that helps.

jwhatley

posted on 6/5/14 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I know that I need to increase injector size to get more power..... But I'm already In the 700-800bhp/tonne area so why do I need to stress the engine anymore? There standard busa injectors which have 8 injectors but in the bike they only use 4 at a time. Obviously in this application I'm using all 8 at the same time.

Still over 100bhp per cylinder, and 3.2bhp per cc, which is pretty impressive.

Jeff, looked as your power curve, pretty linear. I do like the rotrex chargers. TTS are next door to where I had it mapped.

Jack uses the same injectors on his bikes up to 550 and I'm sure holding the records he does it would be safe to follow his judgement to save unnecessary money spending..

The gt30-76 will boost up to that power figure too.

John

[Edited on 6/5/14 by jwhatley]

jwhatley

posted on 2/8/14 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
So i haven't updated this in a while. Been enjoying the car for that its meant to do.

Heres a few snaps from Brands Hatch on thursday, plus a little video:

http://youtu.be/4WkkZjC-jpo

[Edited on 2/8/14 by jwhatley]

OliilO

posted on 2/8/14 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Still looks great!

Have you put in a section of 45 degree tube between your throttle bodies and the block so the plenum then fits under the bonnet? Did you get the tube already bent and if so, where from? I'd like to do something similar so I can fit an airbox under the bonnet on my car, as I dislike the look of bonnets with massive holes cut in them...

jwhatley

posted on 2/8/14 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, yep it's just a normal ally 45 degree bend which has been cut to size and the ends flared.

You can get them from all sorts of places, there not specific in any way.

CosKev3

posted on 2/8/14 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Going well!
Lol at your first passenger praying!
Never seen passengers be forced back into there seat that much in a seven type car before.

Matt21

posted on 2/8/14 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
looks fast!

your gears seem very short, you barely get on the power before your shifting again, is this the case 'in real life' or is the video lying a bit?

jwhatley

posted on 2/8/14 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
looks fast!

your gears seem very short, you barely get on the power before your shifting again, is this the case 'in real life' or is the video lying a bit?

I do short shift a fair bit, this is due to of a mix of saving the engine a bit at higher revs (peak power is 8-9k) but also using the power and putting it down, if you let it scream away it normally involves the rear wheels breaking loose. Also remember the acceleration this car has means your changing gear a lot quicker!

it's only geared to 130 odd mph, and it really does not take long to get there!

INDY BIRD

posted on 2/8/14 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
looks fun, is it a case of too much power so you cant use it?

as a standard in bec can lap that quick,

looked like a good day with some nice cars to play with,

nice acceleration

jwhatley

posted on 2/8/14 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Heck, I'm still learning this car. This is really the first year I've been able to use it to its potential due to sorting the issues the previous owner left to address. Looking back at the videos and forever the critic, I'm braking far too early and not carrying enough speed through the corners, plus this was the first time at brands with it. So much to learn! there's loads more time in it!

The power can be put down, slicks 9 inch wide rear tyres and LSD. Not going to get much more grip than that.

INDY BIRD

posted on 2/8/14 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough,

If you ever need a new LSD 338 with a higher torque on the LSD so can take the power I know of one,

It was also used in a 500bhp busa turbo spec engine car, works a treat,

Still should be fun leaning the car and it looks very nice,

Cheers

jwhatley

posted on 2/8/14 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I've already got a 3.14,

A 338 would be a lot slower!

INDY BIRD

posted on 2/8/14 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
No problem just thought id throw it out there, most busa run 314 as 6th is not the best ratio, so should be good for 140+ then.

Best of luck

jwhatley

posted on 2/8/14 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
140+ is only theoretically achievable, Ive not actually seen it before.

I have a 10500 rev limit and with the 3.14 and busa box i will only hit 133mph, i run a 245 55 13 rear wheel too.

The only way you would hit those speeds is with a quaife box and radical 5/6th ratios.

Thanks on the LSD offer but my 3J was custom built for me to cope with the power and torque i already have.

[Edited on 2/8/14 by jwhatley]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.