Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recap and updates?
Fred W B

posted on 15/2/06 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Hay guys, its been 4 months, what the latest?

For me, since last update:

Engine runs
Gearshift linkage developed
Body drawing almost finished (for real this time)
Rear upright bits machined

Cheers

Fred WB

Alan B

posted on 15/2/06 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Latest for me:

Still working on the body, finishing up the bonnet/hood.
Still deciding about headlights so I moulded two headlight covers for pop-ups from out of the original front mould.
Working on wheel adapters for the rear I have Focus wheels I can use but the PCD (US- bolt circle) is different.

Slow progress, but at least it IS progress.

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kb58

posted on 15/2/06 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Me, I'm continuing shakedown testing. Nothing's fallen off, nothing's broken, but there have been a few teething pains. The rear tires rub so things need trimming. One contributor is the car has "settled" 1/4" or so. It's either the shocks or the springs, and I can't believe it's the springs. The rubber inner wheelwells are rubbing, but those need redoing anyway.

Performance:
0-60mph = 4.6, which could have been under 4sec had I not needed to shift at 58mph! 1/4 mile time is an informal 12.8sec.

Handling:
Suspension is very well mannered with no nasty bump steer or unusual tire wear. Of course I have yet to take the car on track, the first autocross is in a few weeks. I did go around a circular on-ramp pretty fast and was amazed. It was as if the car wasn't even trying, with me suddenly becoming aware how important side bolstering in the seat is.

The big unknown is what the back end will do at the limit. This is the first car I've driven where the limit is wayyy above what can be safely tested on the street. Once on track, I'll finally meet Design Judgment Day. Will it break away smoothly, easy to catch and control, or snap around fast, spinning like a top.

Steering:
Steering effort is very light, I definitely get the feeling there's not much weight up front. Steering is *very* quick, at low speeds it's not noticeable, but on the free way it keeps my attention. Instant lane changes are effortless.

Brakes:
After the brakes were dialed in, I went out to a deserted road, got up to speed, and really stood on the brakes. Let me explain the sensation. I get motion sickness as a passenger, when the driver/car does something unexpected. Getting on the brakes hard resulted in... something unexpected. It decelerated so hard it was as if the car was suspended vertically. It was a good thing I was wearing belts!

Also registered for a hot rod show... not that Kimini is exactly domestic, but it was built here! We'll see how it's received.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gttman

posted on 15/2/06 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
I think I said last time that I have 90% completed the chassis and was moving on to the body....... the chassis hasn't moved on much at all althoug I do have the engine/box in and all the wheels are on. All I have to do to get it fully rolling is weld the shock mounts to the chassis.

On the body I have done very little this year other than make small changes that take huge amounts of time to do... for instance I decided the whole think needed to go forward 1.5inch which involved a lot of work.
Absolutelly worth it though as its getting closer to what I have in my head.

Here is a sneak preview of were it is at the moment..

andygtt

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.