Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CAD drawings of Midtec chassis
Bart-Jan

posted on 2/1/06 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
CAD drawings of Midtec chassis

I've read several topics about 'universal' mid-engine designs. I also was looking for one, last year and found a complete chassis of a Midtec Spyder. It is designed by Lee Noble (also designed the Ultima...) and is known to have very good characteristics. It uses a traditional style front suspension with Cortina uprights. But because the engine is situated longitudinal, at the rear also a traditional suspension is used with wishbones just like 7 style cars. I'm currently in the process of drawing it in CAD. The chassis itself is ready; the wishbones not yet. I will post some drawings tomorow.

I also thought about the difficulty with the body, until I found out that the dimensions for the Midtec are alomst identical to a Lotus Elise. The only difference is the length of the engine room. And second hand (damaged) Elise clamshells can be bought very cheap on Ebay in the UK. Sounds easy; I will find out whether that's true...

The thing I'm interested in, is to have some CAD files of humans to place in the car. Can I download them somewhere from the internet? I've seen many of you guys use them (Jcduroc for instance has used them).

stevebubs

posted on 3/1/06 at 01:56 AM Reply With Quote
Stuart Taylor bought the rights to the midtec...not seen them in production recently but they may be able to point you in the right direction to get an original body made up... but it's love it or hate it styling (I quite like it)
rusty nuts

posted on 3/1/06 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I like the Midtec myself , read or heard somewhere that Lotus used one when designing/developing the Elise but not sure if that is true .
Bart-Jan

posted on 3/1/06 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
I promissed to post a drawing of the chassis of the Midtec. Here it is.

I know Stuart Taylor bought the project, but I also read somewhere that he already had sold it on... He did change the odd looking Frogeye-like lights, which is a good thing. But especially the back end, I don't like. I'm not sad for not having the body...

My question remains: can somebody help me in the direction to find some 3D CAD files of dummy humans (how are they actaully called?) Rescued attachment Old-chassis-complete-R1.jpg
Rescued attachment Old-chassis-complete-R1.jpg

bikkel

posted on 3/1/06 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
bartjan

look here
on the bottom of this page:

link

grtz

koen

www.zx12r-indy.tk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NKCC

posted on 1/2/06 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

is the chassis drawings produced in "Autodesk Inventor" ?

thanks

Regards

Rob
National KitCar Club

iank

posted on 1/2/06 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Professional models to really check out ergonomics are expensive.

You can get demo versions of some packages though e.g.
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/cd/docs_dandt/research/ergonomics/sammie/samdesc.htm

Looks like Ariel used it for the atom:

As a semi thread-hijack has anyone seen any 2D CAD models of people (side view) pref .dxf?

Bart-Jan

posted on 1/2/06 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
The chassis drawing is made in Unigraphics, which I use for my work. My daily job is the development of consumer products, e.g. the Senseo and shavers (both Philips). Philips also uses UG, just like mainstream car manufacturers.

I added a drawing of several parts added to the chassis and a background of a Lotus Elise. I intend to use the clamshells of an Elise

Bart-Jan

posted on 1/2/06 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Lol... I tried to add a picture. I didn't succeed. Another try... Rescued attachment Main-assy.jpg
Rescued attachment Main-assy.jpg

NKCC

posted on 1/2/06 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
All very Interesting, we are an Autodesk Software Developer.

Its slightly different to my chassis, but then to be expected.

[Edited on 1/2/06 by NKCC]

Regards

Rob
National KitCar Club

cymtriks

posted on 4/2/06 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Suggested mods

Mods as shown.
Front suspension top diagonal
Footwell end diagonal
Footwell top diagonal
Welded in dashboard
Three alternatives for the engine bay
A diagonal over the rear suspension
A tude and panel arch over the transaxle Rescued attachment midtechmod.JPG
Rescued attachment midtechmod.JPG

Bart-Jan

posted on 4/2/06 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
thanks Cymtriks for your suggestions.

Funilly, the strengthening suggestions you made about the engine area and rear suspension area are already integrated in the chassis. It seemed my first drawing wasn't complete. You can see how Lee Noble designed it in my second drawing (the one with the Elise integrated).

As for the front section, Originally the footwell was between the wishbones. Now, with The Elise clamshells, I need to lengthen teh chassis, otherwise my nose will be against the windscreen. I can than place the fuel tank between the front wheels (blue part in the second drawing).

More importantly, have you got suggestions of what construction to use for lengthening and widening the passenger area?

cymtriks

posted on 4/2/06 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
If you look closely I've taken out the original top tubes from the engine bay and rear suspension.

My suggestions for the engine bay are better, for stiffness, than the original layout but you will need to watch engine and anciliaries clearance with the different tubes. That's why I've made three suggestions, there's a good chance that one of them won't fit your engine!

Having your feet too far forwards between the front wheels is bad for safety, you are right to move them back a bit.

You could angle the rear of the passenger area to match a sloping seat back. Make the vertical tubes higher,so that they go above the rest of the chassis tubes, and put in a higher cross piece and you have somewhere to mount the seat belt.

Personally I'd put in a welded 18 guage steel floor. Riveted aluminium floors can work loose!

Fred W B

posted on 5/2/06 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Some ideas and discussion here

Cheers

Fred W B
df canamsa proto side pod
df canamsa proto side pod

[Edited on 5/2/06 by Fred W B]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.