Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis tubes and rivets
Kaspa

posted on 24/4/08 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Alan , just my prsonal veiw but sometimes i think people get a we bit carried away with over engineering , 90% of all kit cars have the side panels etc rivuted and glued as a structual member, my car is 12 years old has all side panels and floor etc rivuted and bonded, and it has been raced hard for the last 4years that ive owned it and there is absolutly no sign of fatigue , stress cracks or any of the other related so called posibilities to this method of construction, in any of the chassis rails, water ingestion is a non event, [ i recently had some accident damage repaired] , and chassis tubes were as dry as a dead dingos donger. coaches are another vehicle that utilises the same body construction method and you dont hear of them breaking in half very often. i also am now working for a manufacturer of heavy transport trailers, and all our Pantech trailers have rivuted and bonded side panels as a structual member, my veiw , rivuting and bonding is safe, reilable and succesfull why try and reinvent the wheel.
cheers Kaspa

[Edited on 24/4/08 by Kaspa]

understeer= when you hit the wall front first
oversteer=when you hit the wall back first
HP= how fast you hit the wall
Torque= how far the wall moves when you hit it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 24/4/08 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Kaspa, are your side rails rolled or straight though?

Kaspa

posted on 24/4/08 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Nitram, My "Fraser" has square section top and bottom chassis rails with round on cockpit sides, and all panels are rolled over the top and bottom if thats what your asking, bonded and rivuted at 50mm centers, side rails are straight as in stock seven design

cheers kaspa

[Edited on 24/4/08 by Kaspa]

understeer= when you hit the wall front first
oversteer=when you hit the wall back first
HP= how fast you hit the wall
Torque= how far the wall moves when you hit it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 24/4/08 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Kaspa, the reason I asked is because Alan and my cars main rails are not straight.
Rolling tube makes it thinner on the outside edge.
Putting rivets in the outside tubes will cause a weakness.
Maybe not immediately.
Straight tubes are stressed diferently.
A rolled tube is not as "stiff" as a straight one.
Putting welded tabs has got to be a good long term option.

vinnievector

posted on 25/4/08 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
cant see wots the problem

Just a quick one Alan wot do you know about tempered and treated steels ,and round tubing ,as i find your cause for concern unfounded ,and in fact tube steel is inherently stronger than box tubing and there for lends its self to be drill more readily than box section ,just a point and not a go at you imparticular just thought your concerns where a little exaggerated, because you have a round tube chassis .
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.