Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dremmel type tools
JoelP

posted on 30/12/05 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
dremmel type tools

i fancy getting a small dremmel type rotary tool. Does anyone have experience of good or bad ones. The most powerful corded one i found on ebay was 130w, which seems comparable to the real dremmels. Id prefer a corded one rather than cordless.

If you got one, how useful have you found it? im thinking more delicate grinding than drilling/sanding etc.

any input appreciated

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

James

posted on 30/12/05 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Mate,

IIRC you've got a compressor haven't you?

Have you looked at the air driven die grinder jobs? Have used a few at work and they seem pretty good/powerful.
There's a lot of air to use there tho!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

flak monkey

posted on 30/12/05 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have got one, got it from B&Q a couple of years ago. 250W IIRC. 240V. Came with a flexible shaft, and a shed load of bits and bobs. Cost about £30 i think, absolute bargain.

Very useful, and nice and powerful for when you want to use it for a tougher job.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Peteff

posted on 30/12/05 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Aldi do one sometimes.

£14.99 with a stand and attachments under the name Powercraft. I bought one 2 years ago for myself and the dear wife (she's used it most) and it's been absolutely brilliant. I'm going to get another when they have them again just to keep in the shed (she doesn't like me scruffing it up). It has a flexi shaft as well.
Die grinders gobble cfm, if you have a diy compressor it will run non-stop to keep up.

[Edited on 30/12/05 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mak

posted on 30/12/05 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I second David. Think its called the 300 series dremel, old stock so its £30 (B&Q), the equivalent new version with extra features you don't need is doube the price. Bought one wednesday and does the job well.

Mark

k33ts

posted on 30/12/05 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
i bought one from maplins £20 i think use it alot but lacks power wen grinding.
im gona get a better one.
its one of them tools you keep on the bench because you use it so much.

RazMan

posted on 30/12/05 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
B&Q again - their own brand cheapie one. I've used and abused it for a couple of years now and it is still going strong. I also bought one of their mega tool sets with loads of cutting wheels, burrs, drills etc and its great too.

Neither will last a lifetime but at that price you just bin it and buy another

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
planetester

posted on 30/12/05 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
My local Lidl had them today, a pal bought one last time they had them & he says its good value
keets

posted on 30/12/05 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
dont get one from tesco's just about do your finger nails with it
emsfactory

posted on 30/12/05 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
For small detailed work, yeh.
If you have air your better with an air die grinder. Has the power for the bigger jobs, can still do the detailed work and I think they are more robust.
I have always found electric ones to overheat pretty quickley.
Just my two cents.

jolson

posted on 30/12/05 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Funny, I was just looking at Demels today... forum telepathy again

Was the B&Q one the same as [url=http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=167478&fh_start_index=10&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_location=%2f%2fcata log01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b8530301%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b8530334%7d%2f_wide_price_range%3d0-50&fh_refview=lister&ts=1135984889245]this[/ur l]

(don't know why this link doesn't paste properly... I found it by going to www.diy.com and selecting Tools & Materials, Powertools & Handtools, £0 - £50.)

The website says its a Performance Power 140w with flexible shaft, stand, and 150 "accessories". The real Dremel I was looking at was the '300' - 125w and 66 accessories for exactly double the price

I'm off to have a look in the morning.

[Edited on 2005-12-30 by jolson]

Cheers

John

Hugh Paterson

posted on 30/12/05 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Air fed die grinders slaughter lecy ones, I have eaten three or four electric jobs and the air one just keeps battering on, my oldest air jobbie is a draper (well thats whats on the side anyhows) dremmels aint worth squat
Shug.

flak monkey

posted on 30/12/05 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jolson

The website says its a Performance Power 140w with flexible shaft, stand, and 150 "accessories". The real Dremel I was looking at was the '300' - 125w and 66 accessories for exactly double the price

I'm off to have a look in the morning.

Thats the one I have...I havent used it for ages, and thought it was more powerful than that. I havent stalled it when using it anyway. Last job was removing the grout from around some tiles which had to come out...handled it without a problem. Its also been used a lot for my modelling, cutting/shaping fibreglass etc. Not given me any problems yet.

I have got a normal much less powerful one as well which i use for really fine work. I think its 50w, and its 12v.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

RazMan

posted on 30/12/05 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jolson
Was the B&Q one the same as blah blah blah

Certainly looks like my one, although I didn't get the flexible shaft.

[Edited on 30-12-05 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sirius

posted on 31/12/05 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Black & Decker Wizard, rotary tool, its ok but its important not to ask too much of them. If you use them for the jobs for which they were intended then they are excellent.

I have broken one in the past using one of the reinforced cutting discs, the job really should have been done with an angle grinder or similar.

mak

posted on 31/12/05 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
John,

Was'nt that one, but looks similar design, only used my dremel (300 series if my memory serves me) to widen a hole in 6mm steel, took its time, but never stalled, although got quite toasty. I would recommend it. I would'nt have bought a dremel, but I think it was a good deal, and I did'nt want to end up with a half useful tool made by rolson or 'Powerbase'.

Also noticed you can buy diamond wheels for it for about £25!

Flexi shaft looks like it will be useful for jobs like porting a head? (although I have never done this).

On the subject of tools, has anyone else noticed that homebase sells alot of really terrible tools? I'm sure they used to be reputable, but I broke a file i bought from them in about 20 seconds, and the grinding wheel I bought, which to be fair was cheap, but should'nt even be on sale its so underpowered! GRRRR

Mark

JoelP

posted on 31/12/05 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mak
On the subject of tools, has anyone else noticed that homebase sells alot of really terrible tools?

i hate homebase! its overpriced crap.

been looking on the machine mart webshite, i think im going to get a small air die grinder and a 9" proper grinder, to complement the 4.5" grinder i currently have. Im thinking their own brand is the best bet, as its about £50 for both! Then i'll either get an air reciever to hold more air, or a bigger pump

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MkIndy7

posted on 31/12/05 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
A similar thing was posted a while back

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=24552

Would still go with the Black and Decker i'd posted about there although it looks like they've jazzed up the range a bit and replaced it with this

http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=2534

Danozeman

posted on 31/12/05 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got a black and deckor wizard. Its good and powerful but i find it a little arkward to hold for fidly bits. Although that might just be me.

If u dont want to do too fidly bits an air die grinder would be the way forward unless u want to do it indoors. There are some air powered modelers grinders which have there own little compressor.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

need4speed

posted on 31/12/05 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Don't get a Focus one rubbish had two fail doing easy jobs then got my money back.

The air one I have is great but does use loads of air to keep it going.
Dave

britishtrident

posted on 31/12/05 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Air die grinders and cut off tools are best by far but need a very big compressor.

The 240v ones sold at by B&Q, Woolworth, Maplin and others as own brand are fine, I use a Woolies one to cut off nail heads and similar small stuff.

I haven't tried the Lidl one but from experience all Lidl "Park" brand power tools I have bought were pretty good quality.

[Edited on 31/12/05 by britishtrident]

chriscook

posted on 31/12/05 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've been through 4 or 5 B&Q mains powered tools - I would asked for my money back after the 2nd one went but they come with a new set of tools/accessories
SixedUp

posted on 31/12/05 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
FYI, I was in my local Aldi yesterday, and they had dremel look-a-likes (the tool, a flexible drive, and some bits in a case) going for about £15 or so. They also had sets of spare bits/tools in a case (about 30-40 bits) for less than a fiver.

The quality may not be the greatest (I dont have one, so I can't really comment) but at that price they dont need to be - they're nearly disposible ... !

Cheers
Richard

Noodle

posted on 31/12/05 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
£14.99 with a stand and attachments under the name Powercraft. I bought one 2 years ago for myself and the dear wife (she's used it most) and it's been absolutely brilliant. I'm going to get another when they have them again just to keep in the shed (she doesn't like me scruffing it up). It has a flexi shaft as well.
Die grinders gobble cfm, if you have a diy compressor it will run non-stop to keep up.

[Edited on 30/12/05 by Peteff]

I bought one of these about a year ago, It's been remarkably good.

Viva Aldi!

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

johnjulie

posted on 1/1/06 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Dremel 300 from B&Q, £29.99 and 15% off if you spend over £50. It includes a flexible drive, which costs £35 from B&Q!
Also has tools. Really good value.
Cheers Johnl

JFDI
"Just F*****G Do It"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.