Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reliant Kitten Project
John Bonnett

posted on 13/8/20 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks EB. I'm not sure any of the body parts from the Fiesta will be of much use except perhaps the side window glasses. I'll try to position the B posts in similar positions to the Fiesta relative to the A posts with this in mind. There was a possibility of using glass from a three door but the A post is now so far back that there won't be room for them.

Frustratingly, I still cannot load any photos and because my posts are based on pictures rather than words I'm not sure there is much worth in continuing.

[Edited on 13/8/20 by John Bonnett]

rdodger

posted on 13/8/20 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Retro Rides is an easy forum to use and add pictures. Some great builds on there.

https://forum.retro-rides.org/board/12/readers-rides

John Bonnett

posted on 13/8/20 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
Retro Rides is an easy forum to use and add pictures. Some great builds on there.

But it's not the Locost forum Roger where I feel at home and amongst friends. Above all, I believe it is unsurpassed for the depth of knowledge on any subject and isn't populated by Jack the lads who have difficulty with the Queen's English. The Locost forum has been a huge help to me over the last 15 years or so and it is such a shame that I may be forced to move elsewhere.

HowardB

posted on 13/8/20 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
quote:

But it's not the Locost forum Roger where I feel at home and amongst friends. Above all, I believe it is unsurpassed for the depth of knowledge on any subject and isn't populated by Jack the lads who have difficulty with the Queen's English. The Locost forum has been a huge help to me over the last 15 years or so and it is such a shame that I may be forced to move elsewhere.

don't go,...... I am happy to try and help

[Edited on 13/8/20 by HowardB]

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

rdodger

posted on 13/8/20 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
I didn't mean you should leave John! It's just an easy place to log the build. Seem like a decent bunch.
John Bonnett

posted on 13/8/20 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I didn't mean you should leave John! It's just an easy place to log the build. Seem like a decent bunch.

It would be a very sad day if I did leave but to my mind just words don't cut it. We all like photos which I think are fundamental to describing what's happening and for those with eagle eyes to spot the mistakes.

gremlin1234

posted on 13/8/20 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
please carry on taking photos of your progress, even if you can't post them on here at the moment.
I know that the forum supports photos hosted on other sites,
I shall try to put together a guide for hosting via 'dropbox', 'onedrive' or a photo hosting service.
but please keep taking pictures!

John Bonnett

posted on 13/8/20 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
please carry on taking photos of your progress, even if you can't post them on here at the moment.
I know that the forum supports photos hosted on other sites,
I shall try to put together a guide for hosting via 'dropbox', 'onedrive' or a photo hosting service.
but please keep taking pictures!

I'm really touched that so many people are interested in my project and knowing that does give me a lift when things are not going well. It's a habit I've got into taking photos at every stage so as soon as I can I'll put them up here.

I have tried 23 a hosting site for storing photos and initially when I couldn't load them into my Locost album I used it and it worked okay but not now. This is what I get

[img]http://www.23hq.com/Ginetta/photo/73297147/original[/img]

So if you can put together a guide I'm sure I won't be the only one to be grateful to you. Many thanks.

gremlin1234

posted on 13/8/20 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
yes the site can do some bizarre things with external images. currently I can post a message with your image, but it only appears if I have another image that works on its own.
I shall try to look into this further tomorrow, but will post in a new thread rather than divert this one any further.

John Bonnett

posted on 13/8/20 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
yes the site can do some bizarre things with external images. currently I can post a message with your image, but it only appears if I have another image that works on its own.
I shall try to look into this further tomorrow, but will post in a new thread rather than divert this one any further.

See what I mean by the depth and breadth of knowledge here. Awesome! Many thanks from all of us who struggle.

John Bonnett

posted on 14/8/20 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Grateful thanks to Gremlin for finding a way round the problem of loading photos. This is a test using ImgBB and it works!!

Although I'm still struggling to draw a 3D model this is the body style that I'm hoping to achieve.

[Edited on 14/8/20 by John Bonnett]

ettore bugatti

posted on 14/8/20 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Are you going for a 2 seater?

If you would reuse the 3door Fiesta door it would save a lot of engineering time and an Alu reskin would hide their origin a little bit. The side glass from Ford will be cheaper than custom cut curved glass, although you wouldn't need the e-marking.

See if you can do surfaces in Fushion 360 instead of extrusions, that will move the model to the next level. With surfaces you also will be able to model the windscreen more closely to the right shape.

Again, just thoughts. Keep going!

John Bonnett

posted on 14/8/20 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ettore bugatti
Are you going for a 2 seater?

If you would reuse the 3door Fiesta door it would save a lot of engineering time and an Alu reskin would hide their origin a little bit. The side glass from Ford will be cheaper than custom cut curved glass, although you wouldn't need the e-marking.

See if you can do surfaces in Fushion 360 instead of extrusions, that will move the model to the next level. With surfaces you also will be able to model the windscreen more closely to the right shape.

Again, just thoughts. Keep going!

It's the input and encouragement from everyone that keeps me going so please keep the thoughts coming. Really appreciated.

I'd love to be able to draw up a 3D model and I'm spending a lot of drawing time trying to get to grips with the sculpting feature of Fusion 360. I'm making progress but it isn't quick.

I'm not sure about using the Fiesta doors although as you say if I could, it would save a huge amount of time. My screen angles at 30 degrees whilst the one on the Fiesta is nearer 33. So the slope on the door glass might not match. The door is taller too and perhaps a little short. But well worth checking before I finally decide on the position of the B post. Many thanks once again. John

John Bonnett

posted on 21/8/20 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a bit held up at the moment waiting for the aircon gas to be responsibly removed from the donor Fiesta before stripping down can commence. I need the dashboard and steering column before I can move forward. But in the meantime I have been able to finalise the position of the B post and connect the A and B posts with the basis of a sill.

My son has sketched out an idea based on a Ferrari FF which has made me question my decision to build an Estate body. Personally I don't care for the Ferrari but scaled down as it would be I think it could work and look very attractive. Here's his sketch.

[Edited on 21/8/20 by John Bonnett]

HowardB

posted on 21/8/20 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
how about a version of the breadvan?

Howard

John Bonnett

posted on 21/8/20 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB

Not as bad as that Russian thing but not to my taste Howard.

HowardB

posted on 21/8/20 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Not as bad as that Russian thing but not to my taste Howard.

It would certainly be an exotic conversion for a kitten and a fiesta

Howard

gremlin1234

posted on 21/8/20 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
It would certainly be an exotic conversion for a kitten and a fiesta

would that make it a kittsta or a fiesten ?

ettore bugatti

posted on 21/8/20 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Your son got talent, just let him follow with a top view drawing to see if it can work out.

Have you tried to position the door opening in the middle of the wheelbase?
Personally, I think that might look better with the A-pillar moved slightly forwards. The visual weight is now very much over the rear wheels like an Allard.

This Daytona shooting brake is pretty funky too!

[Edited on 21/8/20 by ettore bugatti]

HowardB

posted on 21/8/20 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
This Daytona shooting brake is pretty funky too!

never seen that before - it is interesting - very much a marmite car - bit like the breadvan!

Howard

John Bonnett

posted on 21/8/20 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Great replies, thank you.

Son Chris made his sketch using my Estate body drawing and tracing through so that the fixed dimensions are the same and I think it works very well. Whether I can make it is another matter entirely.

I'm really too far down the line now to move the A post which as you remember is where it is to avoid putting part of the screen right over the top of the engine. It possibly could have been placed a bit further forward but it was convenient to pick up on an existing outrigger. Most modern transverse engine cars have a very short distance between the A post and the wheel centre giving them a short stubby bonnet. I rather like the designs where this distance is greater enabling a longer bonnet and the seating towards the rear axle. It might be possible to extend the forward edge of the door forward of the A post to create the illusion but this would depend on the hinge design and if when opened the front edge of the door fouled the bulkhead. There's so much to consider. Waste height is another dimension crucial to the image of the car. Too low and we end up with Granny's Fiesta. I have played around with window heights and have gone for what I've drawn. It follows the modern trend.

John Bonnett

posted on 22/8/20 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of photos showing the progress so far.

I'm using 50 x 25 x 2mm erw for the basis of the sills which will tie the A & B posts together at the bottom. The body frame has shoes welded to the ends of the tube and these are a nice fit over the outriggers. They are bolted on so that the body can be removed.

One B post is formed and stood in position. It needs to have provision for a seat belt before finally welding in and before that can happen, the seat needs to be in place.

ettore bugatti

posted on 23/8/20 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
I wasn't suggesting a front wheel based cab forward design, but I would have tried to align the a post with the end of the bell housing. I see that there is no member to mount the a post there.
Are the b posts 50mm diameter tube?

John Bonnett

posted on 23/8/20 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I wasn't suggesting a front wheel based cab forward design, but I would have tried to align the a post with the end of the bell housing. I see that there is no member to mount the a post there.

Until this point, I've never taken a lot of notice of where the doors are in relation to the wheelbase and neither have I really taken much notice of sill profile and the position in relation to the track, both of which are important to the visual effect. There is so much to think about and take into account when trying to build from scratch. I need to be happy in my own mind that what I'm trying to achieve will when completed be aesthetically pleasing and not just an ugly curiosity, obviously the result of an amateur build.

I take your point about moving the A post forward but having it where it is works well with the constraints of the chassis and is in keeping with the Daytona which I think looks okay.

The tubing I'm using is 33.7mm x 3mm wall. It's not designed as a roll cage just a frame to unrepin the alloy body.

[Edited on 23/8/20 by John Bonnett]

John Bonnett

posted on 23/8/20 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Until this point, I've never taken a lot of notice of where the doors are in relation to the wheelbase and neither have I really taken much notice of sill profile and the position in relation to the track, both of which are important to the visual effect. There is so much to think about and take into account when trying to build from scratch. I need to be happy in my own mind that what I'm trying to achieve will when completed be aesthetically pleasing and not just an ugly curiosity, obviously the result of an amateur build.

I take your point about moving the A post forward but having it where it is works well with the constraints of the chassis and is in keeping with the Daytona, towards the rear which I think looks okay.

The tubing I'm using is 33.7mm x 3mm wall. It's not designed as a roll cage just a frame to unrepin the alloy body.

[Edited on 23/8/20 by John Bonnett]

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.