Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternative style wishbones
jestre

posted on 6/10/05 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Alternative style wishbones

The book shows a picture of a set of wishbones that were bent. the shape was more of "U" shape rather than triangle. has any made a set of these?

If so, could you help me out with the plans?

thanks
-Jess

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 6/10/05 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
if you mean the top front wishbones i think these are the mk style jobbies.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jestre

posted on 6/10/05 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'm looking for something like these. But, I would like the Bottoms to look like the tops.
still the MK styles?

ned

posted on 6/10/05 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
there was a thread a while back (re racing iirc) about the curved mk bottom ones having an inherent weakness from the way the balljoint plate was mounted to the curved wishbone tubes. i'll see if i can find it.

Ned.

not the thread i was thinking of, but check this one:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=18432 it does go off at a tangent part way thorugh though.

think i found it:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=12587

[Edited on 6/10/05 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

britishtrident

posted on 6/10/05 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
The better suppliers are now using designs similar to the one below (in this case from Marc Nordon Racing http://www.mnrltd.co.uk/Suspension%20Components.html )

MK and GTS are similar (I would have use a GTS one an an illustration but Darrens web site seems to have more broken links each time I visit it) Rescued attachment front-lower-wishbone.jpg
Rescued attachment front-lower-wishbone.jpg

britishtrident

posted on 6/10/05 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
The matching top

[Edited on 6/10/05 by britishtrident] Rescued attachment bushed-top-wishbone-new.jpg
Rescued attachment bushed-top-wishbone-new.jpg

posted on 6/10/05 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

If the gusset plate on the bottom w/b is curved,
and the tube for the top w/b is bent to more or less the same angle,
they sort of match..... well nearly.

Paul G Rescued attachment dlp-wb-up.jpg
Rescued attachment dlp-wb-up.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/10/05 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I made mine to this drawing using HB Cad, no problems at SVA on self centring Rescued attachment Wisbone Modification.JPG
Rescued attachment Wisbone Modification.JPG

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

MikeRJ

posted on 6/10/05 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jestre
I'm looking for something like these. But, I would like the Bottoms to look like the tops.
still the MK styles?

You cannot have curved tubes on the bottom wishbones, this wishbone takes the majority of the load and curved tubes of reasonable diameter simply wouldn't be strong enough. It's not ideal one the top one, but you can get away with it as the top 'bone is lightly loaded in comparison. Generaly speaking bends are a very bad idea in any compressive/tensile load bearing member.

What is important is that the gusset plate where the shock bracket is mounted on the bottom wishbone is curved to avoid introducing a stress raiser (unlike the ones shown ths far!). The GTS bones are very well designed.

britishtrident

posted on 7/10/05 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Curved tubes aren't a major problem on the either wishbone on the lower wishbone it is really case of getting detail design of the web plate and is position correct but this adds weight. So the Vee design is more efficient and stronger.

On the top wishbone a curved design has the advantage of giving a better weld geometry for the top ball joint tube -- the book design is not the easiest weld to finish properly when using MIG --- a TIG is a bit easier to get into the "V" . However the curved design will be a lot less stiff and need heavier tube.

Bob C

posted on 7/10/05 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
It's relatively easy to calculate the compressive load on the back tube of the lower wishbone while braking at 1G.
rearward force at lower balljoint is ~2x force at contact patch, for a 1/2 ton car thats ~200kgf (front remember, one side) This is shared between tension & compression of front & back and divided by the cos of the tube angle: total say 350kg compression.
That's more weight than I'd like to put on a 20" long bent peice of 16s gauge tube. And that's before you add any cornering forces or hit a kerb or add the bending moment due to the suspension unit.
I'd definately keep the bottom bones tubes straight. I'm keeping the top ones straight as well!!!
Bob C
PS feel free to disagree with the sums (like you need telling) - all approximations after wine AND whisky ;^)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.