Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension Tube
Cozza

posted on 1/4/03 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Suspension Tube

I have built up most of my chassis, except for the tubular parts on the rear end. I am using 3/4" 16SWG ERW steel for this. What is the best method for forming this?

Also, I have 3/4" and 1" ERW steel for the wishbones. Is this okay? My steel for the wishbone eye tubes is 25mm o/d and 21mm i/d. I think it's hydraulic tube. Is this okay?

Thanks for (anybody's) help!

Mark Allanson

posted on 1/4/03 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I used a plumbers pipe bender, use the 22mm former, this gives EXACTLY the right radius, I'm guessing this is how Uncle Ron did it!
Cozza

posted on 2/4/03 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't a 22mm pipe bender too big for the internal of 3/4" 16SWG pipe? I have a 15mm pipe bender but that's too small by a few mm.
Having never used a pipe bender before, do you twist the spring to get it inside the pipe?

Thanks

Cozza

posted on 2/4/03 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Woops - sorry Mark! You must be meaning a proper pipe bender rather than a spring, huh?

Doh!

Do you think the type of tubing I have will be okay?

Thanks!

Viper

posted on 2/4/03 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
The pipe bender you will need is the swept type, as mark said used by plumbers, the tubing you have might split along its seam you would be better off using cds tubing...but you never know you might get away with it..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 2/4/03 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Put the seam on the inside and no problems, (I didn't have any problems with the seam on the outside either!)
dozracing

posted on 4/4/03 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I had the rear end bent by a pipe bender, it cost me £20.

The 1" wishbone tubing might be considered excessively large, but, more than fit for purpose. Most uses a 22mm ish OD tube. 3/4" will be fine for the top wishbone.

Hydraulic tube is fine also.

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.