Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ali sierra upright inserts ?
Glenn

posted on 28/5/03 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
ali sierra upright inserts ?

just wondered if anyone had tried using ali to make the sierra inserts. I have a machine shop at my disposal and will be making some for myself.

thoughts ? comments ?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
auzziejim

posted on 28/5/03 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
instead of going to all the hassle why not buy them off MK? i know i would

Cheers

James

Glenn

posted on 28/5/03 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by auzziejim
instead of going to all the hassle why not buy them off MK? i know i would

Cheers

James

No hassle at all, it will take me about 1/2 an hour to make a pair and cost me nothing, the true sprit of locost

I dont think the mk ones are ali, so i'll be saving a little weight aswell.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kingr

posted on 28/5/03 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Luego charge about £66 IIRC for ali mushrooms, so sounds like a good idea to me!

One thing to consider is that steel tapers into ali tapers may be problematic because the steel can deform the ali. Presumably this can be got around by choice of ali though.

Kingr

Glenn

posted on 28/5/03 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingr

One thing to consider is that steel tapers into ali tapers may be problematic because the steel can deform the ali. Presumably this can be got around by choice of ali though.

Kingr

I will probally use somthing like dural (Al95/Cu 4/Mg 1) its a high strength, as good as low-carbon steel.

ChrisW

posted on 28/5/03 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Luego ones are ali. They're quite pricey but I think that's because the top hole is offset and at an angle to enable you to tweak the caster angle. Would be pretty tricky to make I expect?? No need to have that facility if you wanted to save the hassle tho.

Chris

[Edited on 28/5/03 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

James

posted on 28/5/03 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Luego ones are ali. They're quite pricey but I think that's because the top hole is offset and at an angle to enable you to tweak the caster angle. Would be pretty tricky to make I expect?? No need to have that facility if you wanted to save the hassle tho.

Chris

[Edited on 28/5/03 by ChrisW]

MK ones are steel (hardened I presume) with an offset taper. £40 a pair.

ChrisW, it's easy to do the offset taper with a 4 jaw chuck in the lathe.

Cheers,

James

Glenn

posted on 28/5/03 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

MK ones are steel (hardened I presume) with an offset taper. £40 a pair.

ChrisW, it's easy to do the offset taper with a 4 jaw chuck in the lathe.

Cheers,

James

yes, but not so easy with the angle, I have seen pictures of these. Easy enought to do on the mill but i dont need to bother. Im planning on making adjustable top wishbone arms to allow castor adjustment.

James

posted on 29/5/03 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
MK ones are not at an angle.

Is there a benefit to having an angle? If anyone know I'd be interested...

Cheers,

James

[Edited on 29/5/03 by James]

Glenn

posted on 29/5/03 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
MK ones are not at an angle.

Is there a benefit to having an angle? If anyone know I'd be interested...

apart from making them a pain in the arse to make, no (well not that I can think of)

you would also have to make the inside of the insert at the same angle for the nut, more awkward machining

GO

posted on 29/5/03 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
I can only think its so that the balljoint has maximum movement in all directions when in the suspension is in a neutral position - I don't know if this would be an issue though - my chassis is still sitting on the floor!

However, if this is the case then it would be severly limiting the amount of camber adjustment available from having it offset.

Dont know really, just my best guess!

Glenn

posted on 29/5/03 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
I would also think that it would cause some uneven loading on the joint itself. I know they are designed to withstand massive forces but having the tapered arm sitting @ an angle would be unnatural.

I would say its best to follow the best and I haven't seen anything like this on any race cars

craig1410

posted on 29/5/03 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Isn't the "angle" to ensure that the transit balljoint is central otherwise it has to be virtually at full angle of misalignment and can lock up under extreme suspension bump.

I'm sure it was something like that...
Cheers,
Craig.

craig1410

posted on 29/5/03 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Just ignore me please....I just realised that there was a second page to the thread which already answered the question...Doh!

James

posted on 29/5/03 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
Isn't the "angle" to ensure that the transit balljoint is central otherwise it has to be virtually at full angle of misalignment and can lock up under extreme suspension bump.

I'm sure it was something like that...
Cheers,
Craig.

No, I won't ignore you!

I think you may be right actually (assuming I understand what you're saying).

MK compensate for this 'angle' by having the threaded wishbone tube pointing 'up' at a slight angle as opposed to straight out.

James

[Edited on 29/5/03 by James]

craig1410

posted on 29/5/03 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, that is what I was suggesting.
Cheers,
Craig.

Glenn

posted on 29/5/03 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ok , makes sense.

but if you put the angle in the inserts and then you adjust the camber by rotating the inserts the angle will become twisted.

(confusing) anyone got a picture ???

I think I will follow the Mk approach and angle the threaded part of the top wishbone

[Edited on 29/5/03 by Glenn]

James

posted on 29/5/03 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn

but if you put the angle in the inserts and then you adjust the camber by rotating the inserts the angle will become twisted.

[Edited on 29/5/03 by Glenn]

I'm not sure if it would because the ball joint angle will change to compensate won't it? (although it will affect the nut on underside!)

Anyway, it's easier to change the angle of the threaded bush than it is to cut the taper at an angle so who cares!

Cheers,

James

kiwirex

posted on 29/5/03 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
> but if you put the angle in the inserts and then you adjust the camber by
> rotating the inserts the angle will become twisted.

No.
Well, yes, if you rotate the inserts, the angle will become twisted, but you don't adjust that way.

If your taper is on an angle you'd leave it set the one way (dead vertical at ride height for preference).

Angled or not, you'd adjust by screwing the top ball joint in and out of the threaded bit (technical term) in the top wishbone.

The advantage of angling the taper is that your top wishbone can then be straight.

Might be a minor strength / rigidity advantage?

- Greg H

Glenn

posted on 29/5/03 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kiwirex

No.
Well, yes, if you rotate the inserts, the angle will become twisted, but you don't adjust that way.

- Greg H

woops, sorry meant to say castor, which, with an offset hole in the insert you would adjust by rotating the insert itself.

kingr

posted on 30/5/03 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
But not without affecting camber/KPI/Scrub radius...... Although you can compensate camber.

Kingr

James

posted on 30/5/03 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kiwirex

No.

If your taper is on an angle you'd leave it set the one way (dead vertical at ride height for preference).

Angled or not, you'd adjust by screwing the top ball joint in and out of the threaded bit (technical term) in the top wishbone.

The advantage of angling the taper is that your top wishbone can then be straight.

Might be a minor strength / rigidity advantage?

- Greg H

If you can't twist the insert then you're losing a major benefit of having the offset hole which is that it gives you adjustable castor. It also gives you more flexibility in camber setup (although this is mainly adjustable via winding the BJ in or out).

Is there a massive benefit to having the top wishbone straight? If having it at an angle is good enough for MK then it's good enough for me!

Cheers,

James

Glenn

posted on 30/5/03 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
But not without affecting camber/KPI/Scrub radius...... Although you can compensate camber.

Kingr

well as you say, camber can be re-adjusted with the top joint.

KPI, I assume you mean king pin Inclination, can't see that this would be changed ??

scrub radius, do you mean akermann steer angles ?? if so this is can be adjusted by changing the angle of the front steering arms, ok ours are cast as part of the hub, but hay ho there is always some off-set to the dark side

kingr

posted on 30/5/03 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
The Kingpin inclination is the angle of the line that passes directly through the ball joints, so moving one in relation to the other will affect this. Scrub radius, IIRC is the distance between the centre of the tyre, and the point at which the line through the ball joints intersects the ground. Don't take these as gospel by any means, there are other people on this forum who know a lot more about these things, so I'll let them correct me if need be, and tell you the extent to which these things will be affected. Basically, the crux of this is that you may be better off design the insert to be static and adjusting the castor by making your wishbone brackets over-sized and packing them out with washers, allowing you to move the wishbones back and forth a few mm.

Kingr

Glenn

posted on 30/5/03 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The Kingpin inclination is the angle of the line that passes directly through the ball joints, so moving one in relation to the other will affect this.

correct but KPI is the angle measured as seen from the side But when adjusting castor you are adjusting the front/back position of the upright, if you re-set your camber using the top balljoint the KPI will remain the same.

i will do a picture if it helps, it's very difficult to explain without one.

quote:
Scrub radius, IIRC is the distance between the centre of the tyre, and the point at which the line through the ball joints intersects the ground.

This is genrally reffered to as king-pin offset

quote:

Don't take these as gospel by any means, there are other people on this forum who know a lot more about these things, so I'll let them correct me if need be, and tell you the extent to which these things will be affected. Basically, the crux of this is that you may be better off design the insert to be static and adjusting the castor by making your wishbone brackets over-sized and packing them out with washers, allowing you to move the wishbones back and forth a few mm.
Kingr

No, I dont like the idea of shimming my wishbones, i know it's done but i would rather have my brackets correctly sized i just think it looks tatty.

Cheers

Glenn

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.