Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Zeemeride Shocks they dont F**king fit
splitrivet

posted on 1/7/03 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
New Zeemeride Shocks they dont F**king fit

Just a warning the new zeemeride shocks Lolocost are selling are too long.
Although I could get the front ones to fit Ive got a feeling Im gonna have to remount the front top bracket after Ive fitted the wheels and dropped the car off the axle stands to readjust ride height.The rears however are way too long with the axle resting on the chassis the springs would still need nearly 2 inches of compression.Ive taken the axle out to remove the bottom bracket and Im
hoping they'll fit with a longer bolt fitted
thru the top trailing arm mount as the lower fitting point.
To be fair to Lolocost they did warn at the Newark show where they were selling them that they were different from previously supplied zeemeride shocks (which a mate of mine bought and were fine) and to make sure they were fit for the purpose but there again they are selling em for locost fitment so why sell something that they know wont do the bleeding job.They were cheap(£150) but like the man said yer pays yer money....
Bob

Findlay234

posted on 1/7/03 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Well ive got the old kind and i knew they had an imperial measurement for the bore of the bush so i called them up to find out what it was. They told me then that i had the old kind when id measured ~9.5mm on the calipers (3/8). So i then asked what had changed between the two and the woman from loloquali..... said it was just the bush.... hmm sounds like they were trying to make a sale out of me even though they knew the size had changed................. bas****s. Oh BTW mine fit though i havent fully put in the rears, still waiting for my half shafts.........
ChrisW

posted on 1/7/03 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Findlay

I've got a pair of half shafts you can have. Just pop over and pick them up.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Findlay234

posted on 1/7/03 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Are they shortened?

chrisW: Nope

Findlay234: Its ok mate they need to be shortened for the velocity. Ive got some half shafts, its just luego were gonna send me the half shafts with the chassis in march.....

stephen_gusterson

posted on 1/7/03 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have 'old' lolo zeemers and they are 3/8 bushes.

I have had probs getting bolts (not screws) to fit and will use a reamer to take em out to 10mm when I fit em.

My rears are 'book' and I recon about an inch too short.

I need longer ones - id be willing to swap if yours are an inch or so longer - never been used.

atb

steve

David Jenkins

posted on 1/7/03 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my suspension bolts from an aircraft supplier - expensive, but I got exactly the length of unthreaded shank that I needed.

The bolts are certified AN quality (i.e. very high grade) and cadmium plated. Available in metric or UNC/UNF (can't remember which, but probably UNF). The diameter is to a tight tolerance, as well.

Some people may think that this is an extravagance, but there are some bits of the car I want to be certain about!

cheers,

David

splitrivet

posted on 1/7/03 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thats fine by me Steve I'll measure the length when I get home tonight.Pointless you having em if thier no good for you as well.I agree I think aircraft quality is the way to go for suspension bolts, remembering back from my microlighting days Mainair are a reasonably priced supplier.
Bob

jonti

posted on 1/7/03 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Bob
I got zeemers last year for my lolo chassis ( which is 2" taller than book) and they were a bit on the short side for the rear. Solved it by making a spacer out of some square section. HOWEVER, it occurs to me that yours might suit me and mine might suit you (sir) Once you've checked how long yours are (oo er missus) when uncompressed, if you cant sort anything out with Steve let me know ? I'm in Stoke too so maybe we could do an easy swap, sort you out and I can throw me spacers away.

[Edited on 1/7/03 by jonti]

OFROK

paulf

posted on 1/7/03 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Steve I get all my UNF bolts from carrington bearings on the telford way estate. If your worried about strength then buy cap screws as they are generally 12 grade and very tough.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
I have 'old' lolo zeemers and they are 3/8 bushes.

I have had probs getting bolts (not screws) to fit and will use a reamer to take em out to 10mm when I fit em.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 1/7/03 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
thanks paul.

I usually get my bolts either from work - lots of stainless less than and including 10mm.

Others I buy from a fasteners company in wellingbourough on the finedon rd estate

atb

steve

splitrivet

posted on 2/7/03 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
After a quick measure up the zeemers are roughly 14 inch between bolt centres, which means the book is well out cos thats the size that Ron said to use but if you notice in the book the lower mounting point is virtually touching the axle.I should just get away with it by using the upper swing arm bolt as the bottom mount but there again this means that the thru bolt wont fit into the shockers bush tube (why didnt I just take up cake decoration instead).
So I think they'll probably be too long for you Steve but just right for you Jonti.
Bob

stephen_gusterson

posted on 2/7/03 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
they would probably be ok, but as you and jonti are in the same town, it would make sense for the pair of you to do a swap instead of us hassling over sending stuff in the post.

cheers

steve

splitrivet

posted on 2/7/03 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
OK Steve,it'd probably cost about fifteen quid to post em out with em being so heavy anyroad.
Bob

stephen_gusterson

posted on 2/7/03 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
its not as expensive as you think.

parcelforce ship a kilo for about 3 quid and 30 kilos for a tenner. I recon you would be looking at about 7 - 8 quid.

When I have ordered fibreglass stuff weighing about 35 kilos, it costs only 12 quid or so. Lots of suppliers - lolocost is a good example - pump up their shipping costs to make money on the parts they are supposed to be selling cheap. Just look at lolos posting prices. way out.

atb

steve

David Jenkins

posted on 2/7/03 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Vehicle Wiring Products are similar - I wanted one of their switches, worth £1.50, and P&P was £3.50, non-negotiable! I declined their generous offer...

I bought a similar item from Premier Wiring and paid about 75p for them to send it in a padded envelope.

DJ

[Edited on 2/7/03 by David Jenkins]

kingr

posted on 2/7/03 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I bought my suspension bolts from an aircraft supplier - expensive, but I got exactly the length of unthreaded shank that I needed.

Out of curiousity how much did they cost. I bought my suspension bolts from a local engineering place, and for 24x M10x90mm, 4x M12x100mm and 2x M10x190mm (all bar the M10x190mm were cap head) was about £50 which seems a lot. How does it compare with you?

Kingr

David Jenkins

posted on 2/7/03 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Cheaper at around £45, but as they came from the US of A, I got stung by HM Customs & Excise. Then the carrier charged me a stupid price for dealing with the customs man.

Ended up paying around £60, I think.

Damn fine quality, though!

DJ

[Edited on 2/7/03 by David Jenkins]

kingr

posted on 2/7/03 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, dammit, did get ripped off then, just as I thought. And half the things were the wrong frikking spec. Where did you get your from BTW?

Kingr

David Jenkins

posted on 2/7/03 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
I'll get back to you on that one - the catalogue's at home!

DJ

splitrivet

posted on 2/7/03 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Try Mainair thier up in rochdale they build microlight aircraft all bolt sizes are available they dont show there parts catalogue on line but I think they'd mail one out, the one Ive gots pretty ancient all nuts bolts are ultra high tensile,hydrogen de-embrittled cadmium plated.The thing you have to worry about is buying from an engineers merchant is the specification may be way out even to motor manufacturers standard. I lost one of my lower ball joint nuts when I went round to my local fasteners supply place for a replacement the guy there said if it were him he'd buy it from the ford dealers as spec would be far higher and he'd feel safer.
At least you would feel fully safe if the same bolt you were using was holding a plane together!!!!
Bob

jonti

posted on 2/7/03 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Bob
Mine are 12.5" between bolt hole centres uncompressed. Blue springs. will that do you ? 14" looks about what I need.
If you want to proceed email me on: jt.jones@lineone.net and we'll sort out the swap.
cheers
J.J

OFROK

Peteff

posted on 2/7/03 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
The blue springs are the 275lb ones for the front on the ones I bought a couple of years back. The red are 180s for the rear according to lolocost. Is that what he was after?.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 2/7/03 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
according to lolo, the springs are 180 rear, 220 front.....

atb

steve

LoCostLancs

posted on 2/7/03 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Okay guys, i bought some of these Zeems at the last show from Lolocost, he assured me that they would fit blue on front red on back, took bloody ages to get the back ones to fit, and the rear axles is only a couple of mill from touching the chassis, is this right, I believe the shocks have to 'settle' after a few 100 miles but im still worried the examiner at the SVA will fail my car, what do i do!?!?

Tiger? No thanks!

jonti

posted on 2/7/03 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
In my ignorance of spring rates and the B*stards at RHE !!!!! I was supplied with and accepted four blue ones. Are these not right then ? The car seems to sit ok with all the big lumps in (including me and I'm a big lad 16stone so will blue on the back be ok ?

OFROK

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.