Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Replacing air box
matt_gsxr

posted on 28/12/11 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Just to throw some other data and my beliefs into the mix.

Here are a couple of photos of sidecars with airboxes. They could have used the factory airbox, but haven't.
In these cases the volume doesn't suffer the same restrictions as it does in the bike install (fuel tank in different location).

air_box_large
air_box_large

Description
Description

Having gone through this process my rules would be:
1) inlet to allow cool air into engine (cool air is dense air), ram air isn't worth much (I've measured 1 or 2% with a forward oriented intake). Inlet tube of 70mm is big enough up to 200bhp.
2) volume large enough to allow air to slow down (minimising unwanted pulsation effects, momentum effects, and to keep the sound down), in practice 10litres isn't a bad target.
3) insulated to prevent the airbox getting hot and hence warming the inlet charge, warm inlet air is bad news.
4) don't worry about Helmholtz resonance because it is too complicated to get right and if you gain at one RPM range then you lose at another.
5) install an air filter, with a standard panel filter I see no measurable pressure drop across it.

I have no doubt the manufacturers invest some effort on this, but their design goals are different (cost, packaging, rideability, noise limits) so their solution will be good but are very unlikely to be optimal.

iiyama

posted on 28/12/11 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
Very very nice car.

How did you make the air box? Have you done a how to?

also where did you get the cover from?

[Edited on 28/12/11 by ceebmoj]

Thank you!

Airbox is made from pre-preg carbon, mould was made on the car although the box should fit any engine. Reason for making it was to try and reduce intake noise. This goal would have appeared to have been achieved. As with the power though, I need to check this with instrumentation.

Cover? As in the tonneau? Had it made by Soft Bits for Sevens.

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

ceebmoj

posted on 28/12/11 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
Thank you!

Airbox is made from pre-preg carbon, mould was made on the car although the box should fit any engine. Reason for making it was to try and reduce intake noise. This goal would have appeared to have been achieved. As with the power though, I need to check this with instrumentation.

Cover? As in the tonneau? Had it made by Soft Bits for Sevens.

Have you considered making any more air boxes? I would be very interested. Do you have any pictures of the mold/buck?

Yes I meant tonneau however could not find the word in the spell checker.

iiyama

posted on 29/12/11 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote

Could quite possibly make more boxes, although the front end, (where the filter is), is bespoke to my car.

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

ceebmoj

posted on 29/12/11 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
Could quite possibly make more boxes, although the front end, (where the filter is), is bespoke to my car.

If you fancy making another air box let me know how much you want for one? U2U also sent.

[Edited on 29/12/11 by ceebmoj]

iiyama

posted on 29/12/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Contact Marcus at www.creativecarbon.com as the mould is at his workshop. Let me know how you get on!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.