Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: losing weight and getting fit
scootz

posted on 28/12/11 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just approaching 19st... my fighting weight before I was diagnosed with a jelly-spine was 13st with hardly a pick of fat on me

Like Bob, since then I've yoyo'd... starved myself to lose 4 stone in 6 months, then gorged and put 5 stone back on a short time later! This year I WILL win the war!

Is there a 'safe' limit to how many calories you can burn ABOVE what you consume (assuming you have a lot of fat to burn)???

It's Evolution Baby!

Ninehigh

posted on 28/12/11 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard that a safe limit is 1lb (or 2lb) per week, as anything after that is water and you put it straight back on. Then again if you have 10 stone to lose you could probably drop 7lb in the first week...

I've also heard there's a limit for calorie drop (I think it's 20%) after which your body thinks there's a food shortage and goes into conservation mode

hughpinder

posted on 28/12/11 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Your body can only burn so many calories above the maintenance level per day - If you go too hard you can cause different sorts of damage- have a read of Ranuluf Feinnes book 'mad, bad and dangereous to know' - in the artic expeditions they can burn up to 6500 calories per day, but at very high levels your body burns the protein from you muscles rather than the fat and you can get kidney/liver problems as a result. I think if you look for 4-500 kCal/day (about 1 lb/week) thats no problem, more than that, I don't know.
Swimmers burn large amounts of calories, but, in that case they are eating to maintain their weight.
I know someone who went on a 900 calorie/day crash diet (medical reasons and supervised) and she said she was too dizzy to drive/poor concentration/tired etc the whole time.
Regards
Hugh

scootz

posted on 28/12/11 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I certainly get lightheaded and shakey if I go on one of my crash diets.

It's Evolution Baby!

bobinspain

posted on 28/12/11 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
I get light-headed and shaky when I drink too much Macallan Scott.

Slangevar

MikeR

posted on 28/12/11 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
If you ever watch the America / UK / Austrailia's biggest loser programmes then they lose between 1 and 5% of their body weight per week. These are obese to extremely obese people doing very intense diet and excerise under supervision.
T66

posted on 29/12/11 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
First run this morning since November - 3.5 miles all in, wind blowing in my face offset by blowing out my arse in 40 minutes.

Make a good start on clearing the deep seated chest infection Ive had since November too.

Q- "Would Sir enjoy a pull through"?

A- "Why certainly, opens up the alveoli, clears the bronchial passages"

oldtimer

posted on 1/1/12 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
When I got a slowly heavier (and older) I ended up at 97kg last year and bought the '10 minute trainer' of the TV (plenty on ebay) and really liked it. It's quick and effective. I didn't do the diet bit but just cut back on the stuff we all know we should cut back on. I lost 10kg and feel a lot better - ready to take it up again after the break. A couple of 10 minute sessions a day and you'll get there.
Simon

posted on 1/1/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Do quite a lot of cycling (mtb) as much offroad as poss as quite a lot of footpaths/bridleways/byways and farmland etc around here. I put weight on when I quit smoking and have managed to lose bugger all, but then my diet is absolute crap.

Anyway, this thread had a familiar ring to it - http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=104313 - in fact since then I've put on a stone and lost it. Trouble is need to lose another 5 stone.

Have resolved to change diet and do loads more exercise swimming/cycling. Will try running again when I've recovered from the plantar faciitus in my left heel (had cortezone jab in it before Xmas, fairly unpleasant!!)

Good luck to you

ATB

Simon

daniel mason

posted on 1/1/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Circuits are simply the best. If you don't believe me then try 3x 3 minute circuits with 30 seconds between them
1:jumping jacks
2;power squats
3;high knees
4;burpees
5;floor sprints
6;vertical jumps

30 secs each with 30 secs rest between. Try to do 3 circuits

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.