Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What trailer is this ?
mad-butcher

posted on 1/5/12 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Great idea, but doubt if it would work on my indy, sure I wouldn't have any clearance under my road wheels with my current protech suspension units by the time they are fully extended
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
puma931

posted on 1/5/12 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
Found it here.

Westfield Kit car Track car | eBay

Great... comes with a free car

SteveWalker

posted on 1/5/12 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by puma931
Andy996tt - Looks great, where did you get the pictures from, as it would be good to find out where the owner purchansed the parts.

Cheers

Mathew

There are plenty of places to get trailer suspension units, mounting plates, etc. Just two examples: Towsure or Indespension.

For heavier cars you can also get braked units, sliding hitch and brake cables, but they start to get expensive, hence people using caravan parts.

Steve W.

puma931

posted on 2/5/12 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Any ideas on the size of the 'trailer' wheels?

I have spotted some trailer build packs on ebay for £270 + delivery, which contain most of the parts, but I am not sure what trailer wheel size to go for, plus how much drop will there be on the suspension (car is at my mates garage so I can't check - locost race car)?

tasmod

posted on 2/5/12 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
That's a good looking idea. Once bolted up no need to tie down, bolt on axles minus wheels use a quicklift type jack and bolt on wheels. Simples.

I think i would be inclined to make a bolt up 'cross' bar utilising the plate method to move the wheels out a bit and clear the exhaust.

Maybe even make it a T bar incorporating the drawbar.

Unbraked trailer limit is 750kg overall. After that brakes required.

Hmmmm.

Rob

mad4x4

posted on 2/5/12 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I would be building the Basic frame for the Trailer and then Tie down rather than "bolt to car" Could make a simplet 3" box Frame that holds every thing square and a Few Pins or Clips under the car place correctly to make with tralier.

In the yatching world they use this with the boat of the light "launch trolley" in out case the Car could be the Launch Trolley....

Could easily fit Brakes to this if it was required due to a "heavy" build

[Edited on 2/505/12 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

puma931

posted on 21/5/12 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I bought all the bits from ebay (£330 including jockey wheen and wide light board with fogs)..... just need to fit them and make up the front arm.

I was thinking of mounting the front arm under both engine mounts (welding mounting plates to the underside of the chassis. The floor on my car is made of steel so the suspenson units will bolt directly onto the floor. I will take some pictures when I get around to it.

owelly

posted on 21/5/12 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Unless your floor is at least 8mm thick I think you'd be better off mounting off the chassis!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
puma931

posted on 1/7/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
On Saturday I welded the plates to the floor (for the trailing arms) and now just need to figure out where to fix the tow hitch arm.... probably off the chassis near the engine mounts. Will take some pics when finished. Cool trailer solution
owelly

posted on 1/7/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Velcro. Very quick and suprisingly strong......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

puma931

posted on 2/7/12 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Velcro. Very quick and suprisingly strong......

;-) very good..... I think I will stick to welds and bolts

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 2/7/12 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
What a superb idea!

For those (few) of us with no space/money/serious tow cars - a bit of welding and I've got a means of carefully getting the car back home after a damaging track day. No trailers, no hassle, just this kit in the back of the wife's MK1 Mundaneo in case things go wrong on the circuit.

puma931

posted on 16/7/12 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Latest picture of my 6 wheeler....

Welded plates to the floor (chassis/rollcage section) and just need to weld some more plates to the front (near sump/suspension arms) for the arm/tow hitch.

IMO this is an excellent trailer solution that will take about 10 min to fit / remove

[Edited on 16/7/12 by puma931]

puma931

posted on 22/8/12 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote

Got my car home :-)

The trailer solution works and it towed very well behind my 318d.
Now it is at home I can finish off the to do list and hopefully I will get it on track soon.

Happy days.

number-1

posted on 26/8/12 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
That looks like a great idea. did you find the balance point of the car to weld the wheel mounting plates to or was it a guess? Any pics of the underside after you welded the plates on?

N1

abarth695

posted on 26/8/12 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I am a bit lost here, why have the added wheels ? Can't the existing rear wheels be used such as an A Frame but with the front one's off the ground or is that too much weight for the tow bar?
number-1

posted on 26/8/12 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
I think if you leave the kit cars wheels on the ground the kit car has to be insured. By taking the kit cars wheels off the ground it doesnt need insurance....i think?
MakeEverything

posted on 27/8/12 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
or Tax...

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

JoelP

posted on 27/8/12 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
You would have far too much nose weight using the cars rear wheels, tow bars usually want 50 - 100kgs, with a cec you'd see about 300kgs.

Also, its well known to plod that if the cars wheels are on the ground then its more likely to be illegal, at least with the bolt on wheels it *looks* like its legal (i dont actually think it is, but i also dont care anyway).

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

puma931

posted on 28/8/12 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
The plates were welded under the front section of the roll cage (nice and strong), which gives about 100kg weight on the front. I will take some pictures later in the week of the plates and the connection points for the tow hitch. The car is not road legal, so it has to be lifted off the road, effectively the underside of the car becomes a trailer. I went for this solutiuon as I don't have space for a trailer and it only takes 30 min to fit using manual tools, scissor jack and 2 axle stands (much quicker when I get an impact gun and low profile trolley jack).

quote:
Originally posted by number-1
That looks like a great idea. did you find the balance point of the car to weld the wheel mounting plates to or was it a guess? Any pics of the underside after you welded the plates on?

N1

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.