Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Family Estate type car for about 3.5K...
sdh2903

posted on 8/12/13 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
E46 touring, you'd get a nice 320/330d touring for that if you need an oil burner. Budget some pennies for winter tyres though.
PSpirine

posted on 8/12/13 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
quote:
Originally posted by scimjim
How about the same engine and manufacturer - Range Rover?

Get the right car with history and a late P38 is an absolute bargain IMHO.

Chuck as many kids, dogs, bikes as you want in the back, tow the race car to the track, jet wash it on Sunday afternoon and nick the bosses parking spot at work on Monday morning

P38's are very cheap, not expensive to fix but complicated, you are confusing this with a freelander which even shares the same floor pan!

My choice would be a Volvo, better engineered and even more robust.

[Edited on 7/12/13 by mark chandler]

I think you are confusing Freelanders and Discoveries and Range Rover Evoques with Range Rovers

The Range Rover P38 had a tradditional Land-Rover box section chassis as did the first two Discovery series.
The latter generations of real Range Rover, Range Rover Sports and Discovery switched to Ingerated Body Frame

The Freelander 1 used a modified Honda Ballade/Rover 400/Rover 45 floor pan, much smaller than the P38
Freelander 2 has a version of the Ford C1 floor pan shared with in different variations with the Ford Focus, Ford Kuga Mazda 3, Mazda 5 and Volvo S70

The Range Rover Evoque uses a version of the same C1 floor pan as the Freelander 2 but is has nothing in common with the P38 or any other real Range Rover

[Edited on 8/12/13 by britishtrident]

I'm going to be a bit pedantic here.

The Disco 3/4 (current), and the 1st Range Rover Sport (<2013) are both built on the T5 platform which is a steel body on a box frame.

The previous Range Rover (2002-2012) was a steel monocoque.

The current Range Rover (2012+) and current Range Rover Sport (2013+) are all aluminium monocoques.

I'll return to my G&T now

DarrenW

posted on 9/12/13 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been looking for a family estate for some time. Finally got an A6 Allroad. Should be possible to get a good one for your budget.
D Beddows

posted on 11/12/13 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a Rover 75 diesel tourer - autobox, 75,000 miles, loads and loads of history, all the toys and a VERY clean car. To be perfectly honest for £2600 nothing else came close even for a grand or so more........ I feel a bit 'old' now but meh
DIY Si

posted on 11/12/13 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
I bought a Rover 75 diesel tourer - autobox, 75,000 miles, loads and loads of history, all the toys and a VERY clean car. To be perfectly honest for £2600 nothing else came close even for a grand or so more........ I feel a bit 'old' now but meh

And you only feel a "bit" old?!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

D Beddows

posted on 11/12/13 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I just need a tin of travel sweets and a box of tissues with a crochet cover in the glove box and I'll be sorted

One thing I have noticed is that EVERYONE lets you out at junctions........... probably just in case I haven't got my special driving glasses on

britishtrident

posted on 11/12/13 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows

Check if it has a rear anti-roll bar it makes a big difference to handling.

Check the condition of the brake pipes both front brake pipes where they join the flex hoses and the main front to rear pipes from the front subframe aft to where they go over the fuel tank.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.