Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA for a write off ??
andy o

posted on 6/8/13 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
IVA for a write off ??

if you buy a kit car which was declared a write off and so has no registration due to being a type/class B so cannot be put back on road.
now if this can be repaired and then made to look like its just been built could it then have a vin number and go for an IVA test?
what paperwork is needed for the test?
be nice to have the car legally on the road
thanks
andy

AdrianH

posted on 6/8/13 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Would you be using the car as a donor, then what would be the difference to any other car as a donor, you would get another VIN number and have to go through the IVA as before?

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

andy o

posted on 6/8/13 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
the car chassis damage is a very easy repair and so the it would basically be the same car.i have not put a car though the iva test and have read that the tester wants photos and receipts and paperwork for the car.
I would have none of this and so not sure of if the car can be presented for the test

Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/8/13 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
You'd be better off getting a new chassis and put all the bits from that car onto the new one. Take pictures as you go and you'll have plenty of build evidence etc.

There's a reason why it was declared cat B.

Make your own receipts, its easy enough.

[Edited on 6/8/13 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

coozer

posted on 6/8/13 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
You need a new chassis and go for IVA as a new build.

Then DVLA with a V55 and a Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report. V627/1

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

chrism

posted on 7/8/13 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
I thought class B and A write offs were only supposed to be sold to registered companies and had to be either broken for parts or crushed, I didnt think that they were allowed to be put back on the road.

If that is still true then it would be as people have said above, you would need a new chassis and then transfer all of the running gear across, with photos taken from start to finish to show what has happened. Im also guessing it would have to be a Q plate and not an age related reg as you wouldnt get a V5 of the donors details since it is a class B write off.

One other thing to make note of is proving engine age, depending what type of engine it is if its one that should be using the older non cat emissions you will need proof from the manufacterer of the engines age as again you wont have a V5 to show what car the engine came from.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

AdrianH

posted on 7/8/13 at 05:21 AM Reply With Quote
There was a very similar thread before that needs to be gone though,what your asking is not impossible.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=178703

Cheers

Adrian

[Edited on 7-8-13 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

rhinopower

posted on 7/8/13 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
VIC check is all you need. Its not your fault the company that dealt with the salvage of the vehicle sold it on complete.
Mark Allanson

posted on 7/8/13 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rhinopower
VIC check is all you need. Its not your fault the company that dealt with the salvage of the vehicle sold it on complete.

Er, not quite. The only way that chassis can go back on the road is by lying to DVLA by saying it is a new one and have steel receipt to 'prove' it. You can use all the mechanical parts saying you used the old vehicle as a donor.

Before commencing any work, you could have appealed the category to make it to Cat C (which it clearly was as you were able to repair it)

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

rhinopower

posted on 7/8/13 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
quote:

Er, not quite. The only way that chassis can go back on the road is by lying to DVLA by saying it is a new one and have steel receipt to 'prove' it. You can use all the mechanical parts saying you used the old vehicle as a donor.

Before commencing any work, you could have appealed the category to make it to Cat C (which it clearly was as you were able to repair it)

No you are wrong. Any car with a "VIC MARKER" wether it be A/B/C needs a VIC test.

chrism

posted on 7/8/13 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Just because the vehicle was sold on when it should have been broken up doesnt automatically change what can be done with it, just the same way that if someone sold a kitcar that was registered incorrectly (i.e. A Porsche replica still registered as a Beetle) the new buyer wouldnt be let off for the incorrect registration they would then be the one responsible for it.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/8/13 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
quote:

No you are wrong. Any car with a "VIC MARKER" wether it be A/B/C needs a VIC test.

Categorising salvage is part of my day job - I think I might know a little about it

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

rhinopower

posted on 7/8/13 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
I know of several cat b cars that were put back on the road after a simple Vic check.
rhinopower

posted on 7/8/13 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrism
quote:

Just because the vehicle was sold on when it should have been broken up doesnt automatically change what can be done with it, just the same way that if someone sold a kitcar that was registered incorrectly (i.e. A Porsche replica still registered as a Beetle) the new buyer wouldnt be let off for the incorrect registration they would then be the one responsible for it.

Not disputing that, vehicle would have to be correctly registered in the first place, but in the situation of the OP, he is simply verifying its the same car and not another car with altered identity, and applying for the logbook.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.