Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: alloy jacks
jonesier1

posted on 19/2/10 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
alloy jacks

thinking of treating myself to a new trolley jack and fancy a flash alloy job which is nice and light,but been told the ones with the single steam roller type front wheel is wobbly and unstable.seen them for about 90 quid ish for 1.25t.
any experience or advise ? Rescued attachment alloy jack.jpg
Rescued attachment alloy jack.jpg

im in my own little world...its ok though they know me there

Stott

posted on 19/2/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
discussed a bit here: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=126336

HTH
Stott

rusty nuts

posted on 19/2/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
We have one at work , already falling to pieces . No where near as good as my 34 year old Bradbury!
nick205

posted on 19/2/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO unless you're going to spend a lot of time carrying it around with you a normal steel trolley jack is much better value and more robust.

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 19/2/10 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
£90 for an aluminium jack? come on, work it out, you get what you pay for, its obviously a peice of shit.

Paul

Edit, sorry not very helpful, i use one of these almost daily for the last year, good value for money if you want someting new. not a quick lift but it lifts quicker than my old bradbury. http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ctj3000g-3-tonne-professional-garage-j/path/trolley-jacks-bottle-jacks-transmission-jacks

[Edited on 19/2/10 by Cousin Cleotis]

Richard Quinn

posted on 19/2/10 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one and it's fine! My steel one isn't low enough to go under the Locost
SPYDER

posted on 19/2/10 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a US Pro aluminium jack with roller type front and TWO pistons. It's a little more substantial than the very cheap ones but still a lot lighter than a steel one. It is also very low. It's perfect for taking on trackdays, so much easier to get in and out of the back of the car.
Geoff.

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 19/2/10 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
It would appear that there is a 50/50 split between people that get a decent one and people that get a poo one. Buy 2 and you stand a chance of getting a usable jack. Or stop being wusses and get a proper heavy steel jack.

Paul

snakebelly

posted on 19/2/10 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
i have one that is identical to the one in the picture, apart from thread locking all the bolts after the first year its been fine, about 2 years old now and used at least every week.
britishtrident

posted on 20/2/10 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I used to design light alloy jack type machines for lifting manhole covers for a living ----- as to "aluminium" trolley jacks, I wouldn't barge one with touch pole.

A cheap 13 quid steel trolley jack from Lidl is just as portable and much more likely to withstand rough use.

For at home use spend 70 quid or so on a proper pro-quality garage jack, it will last a life time.

[Edited on 20/2/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

snakebelly

posted on 20/2/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
we bought one of these becuase it would actually go under a 7esque car, all the steel and pro one we looked at were too high

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.