Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tube notchers
NS Dev

posted on 31/5/06 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Done a lot of tube notching in the past using a lathe. Use an end mill held in the chuck and a tube vice mounted on the toolpost, works a treat.

I don't have a tube holder for the toolpost on my lathe at the mo and I haven't had any suitable lumps of steel to make one from, so I use a carbide cutter in the die grinder, which does the job in seconds anyway.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

JoelP

posted on 2/6/06 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Race-Car-Tube-Notcher-Tubing-Notcher-pipe-notcher_W0QQitemZ7625050930

thinking of getting this one shipped over from the USA. Anyone else interested in one whilst im at it? Im just waiting for a postage estimate.

[Edited on 2/6/06 by JoelP]

caber

posted on 3/6/06 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
I've done all mine in a cheap drill press with a rotating bed and a vice. You do need expensive starrette typw hole saws and you will even take the teeth off these eventually.

Aldi has a good drill press for £29.99 at the moment, 500W and lots of speeds, better than my old Makro one and £10 cheaper.

Caber

JoelP

posted on 3/6/06 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
idea of the week! I forgot my pillar drill has a tilting bed then again, it might not... off to check!
JoelP

posted on 3/6/06 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
right then, it does tilt, but not very well! I got a nice adjustable vice from machine mart, and a set of holesaws, and set about some right angle ones. I think tilting it would make it snatch too much, without the extra bearing of the notcher. Not bad at all though! Rescued attachment notched.JPG
Rescued attachment notched.JPG

caber

posted on 3/6/06 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Joel,

Use cutting oil and light pressure on the drill press, if you don't have cutting oil use 3in1. as long as you don't press too hard and let the saw cut it should work fine. It is also worth making sure that the drill bed is not flexing, the cheap ones do. when I was cutting holes out of 3mm wall tube I set up the bed so it was supported at the opposite side from the pillar with offcuts of tube and plate.

Best of luck

Caber

JoelP

posted on 3/6/06 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
i knew it needed oil, but only had wd40! not quite the same need to get some sharpish the bed does flex a little, but i can brace it
Browser

posted on 12/6/06 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea gents! I've just remembered my drill has a tilting bed, i'll just have to get meself a suitable milling cutter if me holesaws won't work and make a tube-clamping vice and off we go!

John Bonnett

posted on 17/6/06 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a lathe, you can make a tube clamp to fit on the tool post. This can then be rotated to whatever angle you need. Use a milling cutter in the chuck. A friend of mine has done this very successfully and for very little cost.

John

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.