Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: RobinHood chassis
scotty g

posted on 23/6/05 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
RobinHood chassis

Hi all, having now got an engine and gearbox i am hoping to get a chassis and suspension in the autumn and was talking to a locost builder yesterday. He says that for his next build he will use RobinHoods Lolocost chassis as its so cheap. I used to own a 2b but don't know much about the Lolocost range of bits. Is it the same dimensions, are parts as interchangable as with most of the other locost suppliers, have any of you got one or seen one etc etc? Cheers.
Avoneer

posted on 23/6/05 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Isn't the price comparable with MNR, MK and GTS?

If so, they'd be a much better bet.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 23/6/05 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Erm, have you seen the Lolocost chassis compared with one from say MK, Luego, GTS, MNR?
It's, how would one say... er, different to say the least!

Think vary carefully before going that route, even if it's a few quid cheaper it's gonna make your life a lot harder!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

mookaloid

posted on 23/6/05 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Cheaper is often poorer value

Cheers

Mark

MikeRJ

posted on 23/6/05 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Its very simmilar to the 2B chassis AFAIK, made from bent tubing rather than welded box section. God only knows how you get a bonnet to fit nicely on top of it
James

posted on 23/6/05 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
God only knows how you get a bonnet to fit nicely on top of it

Or side panels and nose cone...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

scotty g

posted on 23/6/05 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Don't panic guys, i've no intention of going down that route myself, besides, the prices have probably doubled from two months ago. The chassis has got to be strong though, my 2b was, but nothing bloody fit properly so the lolocost is probably the same.
It will come down to GTS, MK, Mac1 or Luego i think. Cheers all.

Avoneer

posted on 23/6/05 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
The new lolocost chassis is all welded box - no bent round tube in sight.
Doesn't look bad either, but I'd still rather spend my money on one of the others I mentioned.
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scotty g

posted on 23/6/05 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I agree Avoneer, quite a nice job on the chassis but i don't like that they have retained the sierra rear suspension, far too heavy i would think. Also, is it me or is the steering wheel too far forward? I'd still like to see a finished one though, just out of interest.
Mansfield

posted on 24/6/05 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Pictures of Lolocost chassis from Newark Rescued attachment P6190038a.jpg
Rescued attachment P6190038a.jpg

Mansfield

posted on 24/6/05 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Pictures of Lolocost chassis from Newark Rescued attachment P6190039a.jpg
Rescued attachment P6190039a.jpg

Mansfield

posted on 24/6/05 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Pictures of Lolocost chassis from Newark Rescued attachment P6190041a.jpg
Rescued attachment P6190041a.jpg

Mansfield

posted on 24/6/05 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Looked fairly neat to me. Rescued attachment P6190042a.jpg
Rescued attachment P6190042a.jpg

flak monkey

posted on 24/6/05 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
£535 inc VAT. Not too bad, and quite neat. However I would voice the same concerns as others already have done.

Most other manufacturers chassis' arent much more than that. The GTS one is £550 IIRC, the quality of the construction, if my wishbones are anything to go by, ought to be excellent.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Triton

posted on 24/6/05 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Waste of good steel.....
britishtrident

posted on 24/6/05 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Actually quite impressive compare to the stuff they used to sell under the previous ownership and a big question mark still remains of the quality standards of actual customer chassis

I see things wrong with it at the rear but it is a major step fowards for RH

MikeRJ

posted on 24/6/05 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
That is remarkably good compared to their previous offering. Don't think Cymtriks will like the R tube placement though!

Also the roll over bar rear supports are a joke. Hmm, and no triangulation in the rear bulkead structure. All easily put-rightable stuff, but I'd still want to actually see the chassis that would be mine before parting with cash knowing the err..variability of RH's quality control.

[Edited on 24/6/05 by MikeRJ]

JoelP

posted on 24/6/05 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
as said, the roll bar supports are effedctively just for show - they are bent, and the bit where they bend and are welded to another bit, would just bend out in a roll over. No chance...

also, there are numerous open ended tubes (very easy to sort out) which are no good, the transmission tunnel should have something welded to the top of it to contain a flailing prop (theres no need to have nothing at the top back).

On the whole, i could easily improve the chassis, and im no genius. So what goes on?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Triton

posted on 24/6/05 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Still a waste of good steel no matter how you look at it
JoelP

posted on 24/6/05 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
someone should point them firstly to a CAD program and then to a panel of armchair experts like ourselves

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MikeRJ

posted on 24/6/05 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon the bloody great sign on the roll bar is going to knock a few mph off the top end
cymtriks

posted on 25/6/05 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Still a waste of good steel no matter how you look at it

Nail, Head, Bang

I still admire them for hanging on for so long in a competitive market with a product like that though. They must be marketing whizz kids.

andyps

posted on 25/6/05 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cymtriks

I still admire them for hanging on for so long in a competitive market with a product like that though. They must be marketing whizz kids.

True marketing is about providing what the customer really wants and making a profit from it. I suspect that they are better at selling then marketing.

Sorry - I'll take my work hat off now. A lot of my life is spent teaching marketing to post-graduates and helping clients produce marketing plans that work!

Robin Hoods probably used to sell well because they appeared cheap in comparison with other kit packages. The Lolocost chassis looks OK, but what is the overall cost/quality going to be when you get wishbones, rear suspension etc?

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 25/6/05 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
I always thought true marketing was about making a product and making the public THINK they need it. Countless examples: cell phones, DVD's, PC's,...
andyps

posted on 25/6/05 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bart Vangampelaere
I always thought true marketing was about making a product and making the public THINK they need it. Countless examples: cell phones, DVD's, PC's,...

That is a tough one - a lot of it is about making people aware the product exists. I was talking to the Marketing Director of Honda UK this week and he said his aim is a marketing communication budget of zero - if they get their product development right, and understand customers properly they should not need to spend money.

The reality is that there is almost always a need to spend money on marketing, but marketing is much more than just advertising and research.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.