Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What would you do with a couple of grand?
sonic

posted on 18/12/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
What would you do with a couple of grand?

Hello all

Over the years i have had most cars i have wanted kit's, Scooby's,tracday 205 etc,also i have had quad bikes,enduro,Rotax max karts.

Now i am looking for something else,needs to have an engine,keep it in the garage to mess with an be fast enough to have fun with.

What do you suggest?

MakeEverything

posted on 18/12/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Offroader? Can be fun.
Buggy / Sand blade watsit
exotic replica
Classic restoration?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Steve G

posted on 18/12/09 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
mk1 MR2, VW Golf Gti mk 2 or Pug 205GTi

ok scrub the Pug if you've had one

[Edited on 18/12/09 by Steve G]

mark chandler

posted on 18/12/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Classic restoration?

This sounds best to me, something to fiddle with

sonic

posted on 18/12/09 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest i do like the idea of an off road/road buggy type thing,all the ones i have seen fully built seen to run some underpowered chinese 4 stoke engine.
wouldnt nind one with a bike engine in R1.

If i am being honest i deal in cars for a living and they don't do it for me anymore,after you have had bike engined kits and STI scoobies,M3 and things everything i drive doesn't seem fast anymore.i had a RS4 for a day last week 400+bhp and it is a fantastic car but after driving it for a hour or two it suddenly becomes normal in a funny sort of way.

Don't get me wrong i am very lucky to have had what i have but very few cars now feel quick.

The Knobs

posted on 18/12/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have a nice MK1 MR2 that was less than £2K. Mint car with all the trackday bits and a decent tuned engine on Jenveys, and all for peanuts. You can pick up a lot of decent cars for £2K. If you want an MR2....
morcus

posted on 18/12/09 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I like the restoration Idea, two grand will get you alot of half decent classic cars which you can do up, and you might even see a return when you come to sell it. Have a look over on car and classic and see if theres anything you like.
hicost blade

posted on 18/12/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Classic restoration with a big engine

Midget with an XE/Duratec/K series lump, flat cap and string back driving gloves then go annoy the Nova/Saxo crew. Good sport!

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/frontline/k-series.htm

[Edited on 18/12/09 by hicost blade]

posted on 18/12/09 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
If everything seems slow then the only answer is a bike engine.... In a bike.

Bandit 1200, if you like wind in your face.
R1 if you don't.

Paul G

Peteff

posted on 18/12/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'd look at an ABS Freestyle type kit.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

rgdavid

posted on 18/12/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
a 250cc go kart ?

very very fast

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 18/12/09 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Why not build a hovercraft.... You could easily do it for that much!

Either a racing craft, and go race it.,... or a nice big cruiser..

I built a 4 man craft a few years ago with a 1.8l scooby engine in it and a 1000mm diameter 9 bladed fan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Steve Hignett

posted on 18/12/09 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
If cars of that ilk don't seem fast enough to you (and I happen to agree with you that one you've had something like 400bhp for a bit, you will def get used to it) then you really ought to pull your finger out and go racing...

That's what I'd do if I had spare money!!!

bj928

posted on 18/12/09 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
here's a bit of fun for you, i'm selling it on ebay at the moment, may or maynot float your boat, late 2.8i capri with a 24v cosworth, lots of fun and gives a lot of fast cars a shock, and when your bord, sell it for what you paid for it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270500026216&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

sonic

posted on 18/12/09 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies guy's
I have had a few 2.8 and 3.0 Capri's in my time and love them to bits especially with the x pack kit on.

I really like the idea of a off on road buggy idea or a 4x4 Landrover hybrid sort of thing.

skodaman

posted on 19/12/09 at 02:23 AM Reply With Quote
Classic mini and put a 1380 engine in. Can't believe how much some of these go for now though.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 19/12/09 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
You could get some powerful pharmacuticals for that money. Then you could feel like your going fast when your at home.

Hovercraft is a cool Idea.

mr_pr

posted on 19/12/09 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I suggest you chin the car idea and spend your couple of grand learning to skydive.

If your 'bored' of fast cars this will sort you out. Every single jump will give you a huge adrenaline shot and no getting bored.

My Build Progress

oldtimer

posted on 19/12/09 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Bike
02GF74

posted on 19/12/09 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sonic
Thanks for all the replies guys.
I have had a few 2.8 and 3.0 Capri's in my time and love them to bits especially with the x pack kit on.

I really like the idea of a off on road buggy idea or a 4x4 Landrover hybrid sort of thing.

err, how fast do you want to go?

sounds like you have exhausted the road car options but mention offroad.

there are two games you play offroad - trilas type stuff where you drive up impossible things and tip over or blat as fast as possible. (and roll over a few times)

Niether will be as fast as your road cars, but they both give you a rush.

plenty of series land rovers and maybe even defenders for £ 2k - for buggy type stuff there are bowlers and tomcats (unless they arethe same) plus others as well as kits but the former are probs 10x the price.

an option would be to take something like jago jeep and do that up, roll cage, bigger engine etc - I know on a different forum someone selling a well tuned rover v8 for about £ 1.5 k.

have a looksee on youtube for the above and see if they even remotely interest you.

[Edited on 19/12/09 by 02GF74]

norm007

posted on 19/12/09 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Now i am looking for something else,needs to have an engine,keep it in the garage to mess with an be fast enough to have fun with.

What do you suggest? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My mate is selling his Nissan/Datsun 240Z, if your interested, he is near York?

Needs a bit of TLC/restoration.

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andrew.carwithen

posted on 19/12/09 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
As others have said, seems you've maybe exhausted the 'fast road car' route.
Why not try something new and challenging and say put the 2K towards learning to fly?
You just don't know what it might lead to.
One of our SWTOC members did just that a few years back. Got his PPL, got the flying bug and carried on to get a commercial licence this year.
He's now recently landed a job as a pilot in Indonesia flying a Cessna Caravan and is absolutely loving it.
Admittedly he's only in his mid 20's but he's now 'living the dream' and so the very best of luck to him.

ChrisW

posted on 19/12/09 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a *mk2* MR2 and a V6 Toyota Camry. The engine is a bolt in conversion, apart from two off-the-shelf parts (top mount and flywheel).

I've got one and it's fantastic mid-engine, rear drive, arse out fun for what it cost. The MR2 cost me £75 with a knackered head gasket, and you can pick up an mot failure Camry for under £500.

Chris

sonic

posted on 19/12/09 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the idea's guy's
I am warming to the idea of a Defender and maybe doing some sort of a Bowler rep.and trying 4x4 must have a v8 as i don't want a rattly diesel.
Does anybody know of any good websites/forums as good as this one to look at?

Thanks again

mr_pr

posted on 20/12/09 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
yeah if you want anything LR related go to
www.lro.com/forum

Loads of knowledge on there.

Not keen on the skydiving then? I promise its more exciting than a Defender (I own/do both!)

My Build Progress

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.