Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: metal at B and Q
stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/10/02 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
metal at B and Q

I was in my 'local' b and q at Northampton today. Its one of those really really really big ones you cant find anything in cos they are really really really big.

Tucked away in there was a lot of steel metal strips, angles and tubes. Came in about 2 and 3 foot or so lengths, various profiles and wall sizes. Didnt seem to have wishbone sised - nearest was 25mm with 1.5mm walls.

Thought this tidbit might be useful if you need that bit of braket or strip.

atb

steve

Liam

posted on 24/10/02 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Do they have 12mm thick steel plate?? =)

I need some for my adaptor plate but have no idea where 'the man in the street' gets a small quantity of such stuff. Any ideas?

Also need some 5mm plate for diff mounts etc. Maybe some 3mm plate too...

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
interestedparty

posted on 25/10/02 at 01:52 AM Reply With Quote
My local steel stockholders has a guillotine for shearing sheets of plate steel to the size their customers require, and next to it is the offcuts rack! The first couple of times I made it clear that I was paying cash and I was allowed to pick out whatever I wanted, now they recognize me.

For the 12mm you will be wanting ally. I haven't needed anything like that myself but the first place I would look would be anywhere where stuff like that was being cut up and off-cuts were inevitably being produced. Non-ferroues fabricators etc. Could be that Merlin would be worth a try, his laser is used for cutting everything from steel to MDF

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Simon

posted on 25/10/02 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Chaps,

Any one in the country, I'd recommend (for those small extra bits you might need) that you try your local forge.

I got just over a sq foot of 6mm plate and similar amount of 3mm for £3. I thought that was reasonable.

ATB

Simon

Viper

posted on 27/10/02 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Steel

Do they have 12mm thick steel plate?? =)

I need some for my adaptor plate but have no idea where 'the man in the street' gets a small quantity of such stuff. Any ideas?

Also need some 5mm plate for diff mounts etc. Maybe some 3mm plate too...

Let me knoe exactly what you need i might be able to help..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 3/11/02 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Steel stock

I use the local steel stockist ( Twiggs, Matlock or Hammer Goodlad). They usually have a section for offcuts. I asked if they had 3mm plate in the scrap section and the salesman replied " We don't save scrap, only usable offcuts". They will also tell you the performance specs if you are bothered about details.

yours, Pete

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

James

posted on 4/11/02 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I went round to the local steel fabricator (quite interesting to see all the 'projects' they were working one) to ask about raiding their bins.

Manager said no as they had them taken away and re-cycled. I said that I was more than willing to pay and he reckoned that I wouldn't pay them as much as he'd get scrap!!!
What a load of bo****ks! Scrap steel metal is about £7 a tonne isn't it? Well I can assure you he'd have got a better rate for it than that from me!

James

David Jenkins

posted on 4/11/02 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
They're probably scared of the "health and safety" issues - if you slip and injure yourself then they're liable.

Saying that, most places round my way will cheerfully root around for offcuts if they're asked nicely.

You must have found the local jobs-worth!

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.