Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear arches - how wide are yours?
Liam

posted on 27/11/02 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Just another thought Steve...

If you're using a cut down long shaft (meant for drivers side) on the passenger side, then the hub nut will be threaded the wrong way. That is to say normal forward motion will want to undo it. The sierra shafts are threaded in opposite directions so that on both sides, forward motion wants to tighten teh nuts.

Having said that, the front shafts on the 4x4 are both threaded the same way so it's obviously not a problem there. I suppose that's not surprising given how tight you do them up. If you go that route just make sure you check that hub nut every time you go out!

Liam

[Edited on 27/11/02 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 27/11/02 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, according to MK, and Dax as well, the pinion drive flange is should be dead centre of the chassis.

Dont just build it.....make it!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/11/02 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Just another thought Steve...

If you're using a cut down long shaft (meant for drivers side) on the passenger side, then the hub nut will be threaded the wrong way. Liam

[Edited on 27/11/02 by Liam]

Nope. not like that. not at all. not the way things are. different design. not possible

I may make the odd daft mistake, but thats not one of them!

The granada doesnt have the 'tripode' or whatever they are called joints.

They are a 'pot' type cylinder that bolt up to a flange with a ball cage inside -- similar to the ones that bolt to the flange at the diff. The drive shaft does not have the bolt thread on it - its a stub axle thats part of the hub. It unbolts from the shaft.

The same stubs are on each side - they have not been swapped.

does that make sense?

atb

steve

BTW -

what I think happened (and this was 12 - 18 months back....... was that I mounted the diff central, and yes, the shafts end up odd sizes, as per the std car.

your 40mm difference is about right as I recall.

I *think* I assumed I would have to get the shafts made to length anyway, so didnt attempt to use them std sizes.

(Not being a CAD person, I find there is only so much you can sketch out - I was concentrating more on getting the front track to suit the std rack, then adjusting the back to suit).

The fact that one fitted was a bonus. I always had my dad's engineering job to get them modified - not knowing what all that entailed! Guess who retired 3 months ago.....

[Edited on 27/11/02 by stephen_gusterson]

Liam

posted on 27/11/02 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Oh I get ya. I've got the lobro shafts too, only the end parts are still on my shafts - I just withdrew the outer end of the shaft from the hub with the stub axle still attatched. Haven't really thought to take them off. So yeah you'll be cool if you've still got the correct hub nuts either side.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Viper

posted on 1/12/02 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Stephen, how long do you need your shaft to be?? i have a pair (ex TVR) that are 461 long....sure we could do a deal if they are of use..

stephen_gusterson

posted on 2/12/02 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
thats a very good question!

As i am currently extending my garage to cope with making the GRP tricky bits for the car, i have been building stuff other than the car for the last 2 months! and the car is covered in dust sheets and crap. So its a bit hard to measure right now, but I will bear your offer in mind.

Thanks.

BTW

only my mother, or my wife when she's p%$ed with me, calls me Stephen. I'm Steve to everyone else! Shoulda registered properly but then I never knew I would use this site as much as I did!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.