Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie Looking For Advice
johnny chimpo

posted on 25/4/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Newbie Looking For Advice

Hi guys, newbie with my first post so be gentle

Im hopefully going to be viewing a R1 engined mnr vortx this week and was wondering if anyone could give me any tips as to what to look out for with them?

There are obviously standard things you would check when looking over a normal day to day car, but what should I be checking and looking out for with a kitcar, specifically the r1 engined mnr?

Are there any common problems or faults that they suffer with and if so are they easy to spot?

Cheers for any help or tips that people give me

JC

austin man

posted on 25/4/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
If you see a brown mark on the drivers or passengers seat then you know its gonne be quick, welcome to the madhouse

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

graememk

posted on 25/4/11 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
use your eyes, if something dosnt look right, ask....

if your not sure take a photo and put it on this site and we'll take a look.

ashg

posted on 25/4/11 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
engine/gearbox is the most expensive bit make sure there are no finny noises etc. the rest of the components as with most kitcars are easily repairable/replaceable

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

nick205

posted on 25/4/11 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome aboard!

Is the car advertised anywhere...Piston Heads etc?

If so post up a link and we can all take a gander (might even be a LCB member's car)

johnny chimpo

posted on 25/4/11 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, yeah the car is on pistonheads.... Click Click

Might of actually missed out on this now as someone is going to view it ahead of me this week

ReMan

posted on 25/4/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I do'nt think I've seen a "bad" MNr yet?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Dopdog

posted on 26/4/11 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
Did you buy it ?
Krismc

posted on 26/4/11 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
I do'nt think I've seen a "bad" MNr yet?

You havent seen mine!! lol only kidding!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Krismc

posted on 26/4/11 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnny chimpo
Cheers guys, yeah the car is on pistonheads.... Click Click

Might of actually missed out on this now as someone is going to view it ahead of me this week

ive seen that car and looked around it when it was at MNR last, its a nice car, but i was thinkin how difficult it would be too get to the wiring on the tunnel!!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Wheels244

posted on 26/4/11 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
You have a U2U
johnny chimpo

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all the help and comments guys...

Picked the car up today and drove it the 180 miles home..... still cant wipe the big smile off my face!

I will probably be posting up on here a lot more now

40inches

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Well done, don't think you will regret it.

johnny chimpo

posted on 30/4/11 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
First disaster happened today

I drove the car home yesterday some 200 miles and all was good.... took it out today and didnt even manage 10 miles!

Was driving along and braked for a roundabout, the car pulled to the left and when I braked again it pulled hard to the left.

Managed to get the car pulled into the side of the road and it intially looked as if some of the wheel studs had snapped (wheel was sitting at an angle).

The caliper mounting bracket had sheared off and on further inspection once I got the car recovered to my garage it looks like something has let go on the raceleda upright?

When I stripped it down there was play in the bearing and the stub axle wasnt sitting vertical to the upright. Also the centre of the raceleda upright is chewed to bits.

Looks like I need a new raceleda upright, wheel bearing and stub axle. Im going to contact MNR on Tuesday and hopefully they can sort me out with the bits.

Has anyone had any similar issues with these uprights, and is it a common problem?

I think I will strip down the drivers side tomorrow and check it is all okay incase I need to order parts for the drivers side aswell.

I was lucky it happened when it did as it could have been a lot worse had I been giving it some stick!

Krismc

posted on 30/4/11 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
The raceleda is based on cortina, so they aint quite straight looking to start with - that said can you provide some pics so i can see what has happened - ive got a mnr with Raceledas!!

Oh look, there is some for sale in for sale section - grab them quick

daniel mason

posted on 30/4/11 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
oh dear. i had heard of some faliures with the original raceleda's but thought the problem had been sorted

Krismc

posted on 30/4/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
oh dear. i had heard of some faliures with the original raceleda's but thought the problem had been sorted

Thats why im asking as i bought mine in 2006!

perksy

posted on 30/4/11 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
As above

Not the first Raceleda thats let go

At least your ok and the car is relatively ok

Krismc

posted on 30/4/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
we still need pictures!!

johnny chimpo

posted on 30/4/11 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to the previous owner after it had happened and he said something about problems with previous raceleda uprights cracking and failing, but I dont think this is what has happened to mine.

My car was built new by MNR in 2009 so I would hope the cracking problems would have been sorted by then as I think it was an issue from a few years previous?

Can MNR still supplie the parts im going to need, or am I going to need to trawl to find the parts I need? I was hoping to get the car back on the road for next weekend....

Just uploading a couple of pics just now.....

johnny chimpo

posted on 30/4/11 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Car is it was once I got it back into the garage....

Pic 1

Inside of raceleda upright...

Pic 2

Another Pic of upright....

Pic 3

johnny chimpo

posted on 30/4/11 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Can I get any better pics to show the damage better.... if so what would be best to post up pics of?
Krismc

posted on 30/4/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
For starters you raceledas look differant too mine, one of us has the older ones and im affraid it might be you ( as all the metal on mine has a gold tinge

And that hasnt took a few miles to get like that, its probably your 200mile trip home - i would say either a) your stub axle bolt has come loose and it worn away b) its never been tight to start with c) the compression and spacer washers are in the wrong place - like mine was - every thing was tight but the bearing wasnt fully compressed up.

You just need that part, and new bolts, washers and bearings - probably best part of £100

these are mine, unless mine are old ones??

[Edited on 30/4/11 by Krismc]

johnny chimpo

posted on 30/4/11 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
So will MNR be able to supply these bits do you think? I presume Im gona need a new upright aswell?

Also need the bracket to mount the caliper to the hub as that has sheared off as a result of what has happened.

johnny chimpo

posted on 30/4/11 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
have you got a pic of how the compression and spacer washer should be, so I could compare it to how mine was/is?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.