Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Half a V6.......
wylliezx9r

posted on 24/11/13 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
This has got to be something to do with the weak spark. Can't you add another earth temporarily to that side of the engine using a jump lead or something ?

Can you Measure the voltage /resistance on the bad side of the engine block to battery earth (obviously both should be zero], I'm thinking maybe something has broken down to earth BUT would be surprised if it isn't affecting the other bank.

Otherwise I'm all out of ideas, best of luck

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

matt_gsxr

posted on 24/11/13 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
What did the compression test show?
DIY Si

posted on 25/11/13 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'd have a look at the idea of pulling the exhaust off the head and see what happens. As has been said, even a mostly knackered engine with little compression should still suck on the inlet unless it's blocked. On a similar note, I guess you've already checked that the inlets are clear?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

steve m

posted on 25/11/13 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I havn't any sensible comments to make, except have you tried your engine in the other car

Joke !!

But please get it running, soon, as I keep coming back to this thread, in the hope you have got it running, and I like a lot of others are baffled to why you can have 3 pistons firing, and 3 that do not,

I assume the 3 that don't fire are actually connected to the crank ?

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

jacko

posted on 25/11/13 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I like Steve M keep looking at this post hoping you have got it running on all 6 cylinders good luck
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 25/11/13 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Someone should start a book on the odds;-

camshaft - evens
Ignition 2-1 against
injectors - 10-3 against
misc wiring - 100-1

All profits to go to the locost site fund

Trouble is I know he haw about betting - what would you make the odds?

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 25/11/13 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
If anything , I can feel it pushing my hand away ? Maybe the cam timing is a problem , but externally looks good - the cam sprockets are bang on the marks .

Soon as I warm up (its piggin freezin here ) its off with covers , and dig out the workshop manual

how are the cam sprockets held on to the cam,is the cam right relative to the sprocket ?.
as you are getting no suck on the bad bank,i think it must be cam timing or bore wash,if the cam is right with the sprocket,try some oil down the bores ans let it soak overnight ?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

clairetoo

posted on 25/11/13 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Finally got it sorted

Turned out the throttle bodies on the duff side weren't seating properly on the head - they had already been test fitted to another engine , but this one had a larger step on the gasket face machining..........so massive air leak on all three ports

Adapter plate now ground away everywhere it was touching , gasket re-coated , just going back on now !

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

adithorp

posted on 25/11/13 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
Finally got it sorted

Turned out the throttle bodies on the duff side weren't seating properly on the head - they had already been test fitted to another engine , but this one had a larger step on the gasket face machining..........so massive air leak on all three ports

Adapter plate now ground away everywhere it was touching , gasket re-coated , just going back on now !

You should know better than to tempt fate... wait 'till it runs before saying something like that.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

rusty nuts

posted on 25/11/13 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one, glad you have it sorted
clairetoo

posted on 25/11/13 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
Finally got it sorted

You should know better than to tempt fate... wait 'till it runs before saying something like that.

Fully re-fitted (had to warm my hands before finishing....) , and started first try - on all six cylinders !
Its a bit lumpy and poppy , but now I can get the `bodies properly balanced and tweak the ignition timing

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

sjmatthews

posted on 25/11/13 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Great news, we'll all sleep much better tonight

I'll be in the garage dear!

avagolen

posted on 25/11/13 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

mark chandler

posted on 25/11/13 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Phew..........
rdodger

posted on 25/11/13 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote

steve m

posted on 25/11/13 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Phewwww

like 10000 others I can sleep at night now

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 25/11/13 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Breath no longer baited. Well done!
The Black Flash

posted on 25/11/13 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Good stuff . Interesting how it was something that nobody was even close to guessing. They've always got a surprise up their sleeve.
mcerd1

posted on 26/11/13 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
I bet your relieved now

quote:
Originally posted by The Black Flash
Interesting how it was something that nobody was even close to guessing.

theconrodkid guessed right on the first day
but I'm guessing that however big the leak was it wasn't that obvious or claire would have found it sooner...

-

hughpinder

posted on 26/11/13 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Thank goodness, it's been driving me mad.
Well done
Hugh

The Black Flash

posted on 26/11/13 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
I bet your relieved now

quote:
Originally posted by The Black Flash
Interesting how it was something that nobody was even close to guessing.

theconrodkid guessed right on the first day
but I'm guessing that however big the leak was it wasn't that obvious or claire would have found it sooner...

So he did, I didn't see that even on re-reading!

mysmallwheels

posted on 30/11/13 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Claire and others,
Once upon a time, long long ago, my 16 year old self put his first v-8 together. The god of combustion smiled down upon this child innocent, and the v8 sort of roared to life. Sort of because, like Claire's v6, only one bank was running and not well.
This led the innocent but stubborn child on a great adventure for about 3 months; Finally convinced mechanic friend to have a look; no joy! Three days later he called me and suggested I turn it over with the valve covers off, where I could see the right bank valve spring s were not compressing as much as the left. The Mechanic then asked me just how far I had torn engine down, then told me I likely had a bad gasket or otherwise blocked oil feed to the lifters. Unfortunately, with my innocence shattered, I learned he was right, I had put the head gaskets on the wrong sides and blocked 75% of the upper right gallery and the HYDRAULIC lifters never got sufficient oil to properly open valves. This adventure scarred me in ways that have taken me years to get over; I often read manuals and material on jobs I've done many times, fearing that I will screw it up!
Very glad this sorted ! I'll add only that a piece of 10mm hose, a meter or so long, makes a great leak probe: place one end by your ear(not innit !), and move the other end by all the places vacuum could leak; when you hear something akin to soup strained thru a mustache you are on it! This trick was courtesy of the Mechanic, who overhauled his first motor in 1921, so it's an "oldie but a goodie".
Much Luck on All, MSW, Chris

<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.