Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  3    4    5    6    7    8  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Haynes BMW 6pot build back on, at last!!
CTLeeds

posted on 14/2/17 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yes, nice...

Anything regards getting the engine going?

Cheers

Nickp

posted on 14/2/17 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CTLeeds
Oh yes, nice...

Anything regards getting the engine going?

Cheers

Not really, was a doddle tbh.

CTLeeds

posted on 14/2/17 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Cool. Good luck with the IVA. Where have you applied to get it done?
Nickp

posted on 14/2/17 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Notts hopefully

[Edited on 14/2/17 by Nickp]

SteveWallace

posted on 14/2/17 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
quote:

Notts hopefully

That looks like a really nice build. Can't wait to see it on the track.

I only live a couple of miles from the Nottingham IVA centre, so if you need a hand or just some company on the day, let me know and I'll come along if I can. I can chuck a few bits and pieces in the back of the car in case any running modifications are needed on the day to get it through. The Nottingham testers are really helpful though and will do all they can to get if through but without compromising on the test standards.

Nickp

posted on 15/2/17 at 04:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
quote:
quote:

Notts hopefully

That looks like a really nice build. Can't wait to see it on the track.

I only live a couple of miles from the Nottingham IVA centre, so if you need a hand or just some company on the day, let me know and I'll come along if I can. I can chuck a few bits and pieces in the back of the car in case any running modifications are needed on the day to get it through. The Nottingham testers are really helpful though and will do all they can to get if through but without compromising on the test standards.

Cheers Steve much appreciated.

jps

posted on 15/2/17 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Great looking build - i have white Equinox bodywork too - nice to see it's going to look good!!!

quote:

I like the way you've kept the maximum of material when cutting out the side panels for the front suspension mounts etc - did you do anything to brace the GRP - especially the bet between the headlamp mount and the nosecone? I want to do the same but it all seems flimsy now i've cut out for the shock and the front upper suspension mount.

Also - did you have any trouble getting the side panels on? Mine (also Equinox) are too tight in places so i'm seeing how others have dealt with any problems.

Nickp

posted on 15/2/17 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
Great looking build - i have white Equinox bodywork too - nice to see it's going to look good!!!

quote:

I like the way you've kept the maximum of material when cutting out the side panels for the front suspension mounts etc - did you do anything to brace the GRP - especially the bet between the headlamp mount and the nosecone? I want to do the same but it all seems flimsy now i've cut out for the shock and the front upper suspension mount.

Also - did you have any trouble getting the side panels on? Mine (also Equinox) are too tight in places so i'm seeing how others have dealt with any problems.

Thanks yes white is the best colour!!
I've got 4 rivnuts in the top chassis rails, one just in front and one just behind the headlamp mounts either side. Allen bolts then go through the nose cone and secure through the side panels making it all nice and secure. There's also 2 more fixings at the bottom of the nose cone back to the chassis. If you're not sure I'll get some pics for you.
My side panels were very tight too, but don't force them as I ended up with a couple of micro crack's in the gel coat. Just use a flap wheel in the grinder to take off the fibreglass matting texture top and bottom until it goes on easier.

jps

posted on 15/2/17 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickpdon't force them as I ended up with a couple of micro crack's in the gel coat.

Yep - already did that :-( I was too keen to see it in situ!!!!

Cheers for the other info - I hadn't thought of bolting through the 'cone and side panel in one - makes great sense. I am planning on using a piece of angle aluminium riveted to the bottom of the front rail to secure the bottom of the nose-cone, sounds like you've done similar but if you have got a pic it'd be great.
Cheers!

Nickp

posted on 15/2/17 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by Nickpdon't force them as I ended up with a couple of micro crack's in the gel coat.

Yep - already did that :-( I was too keen to see it in situ!!!!

Cheers for the other info - I hadn't thought of bolting through the 'cone and side panel in one - makes great sense. I am planning on using a piece of angle aluminium riveted to the bottom of the front rail to secure the bottom of the nose-cone, sounds like you've done similar but if you have got a pic it'd be great.
Cheers!

My bottom nose cone fixings are 2 small 90deg alloy angles. They slot between the bottom rail and the bottom front of the side panel with 2 allen bolts clamping the lot into rivnuts again, works really well and holds everything together nicely

Nickp

posted on 16/2/17 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Your application for Individual Vehicle Approval has been accepted for assessment.

Vehicle Identification Number: DVLASWA...................

#thisshitshappening

Nickp

posted on 18/2/17 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Just took it up the road to make sure the speedo works and the thing actually stops, all Ok there

Was quite surprised when I changed from first to second and it just smoked the rear tyres!! Oh yes, I reckon it's gonna be a beast

Think I might be needing some stickier rubber sooner rather than later

[Edited on 18/2/17 by Nickp]

bonzoronnie

posted on 18/2/17 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Guess with that engine you'll be able to light up the rear in most gears.

Great to read that the IVA process is well under way, no doubt you will have a test date in the very near future.

Nickp

posted on 18/2/17 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bonzoronnie
Guess with that engine you'll be able to light up the rear in most gears.

Great to read that the IVA process is well under way, no doubt you will have a test date in the very near future.

Yeah it's going to take a steady right foot to start with!!

I'm expecting/hoping the test centre to get in touch this next week. I said the car would be available from the 24th.

Nickp

posted on 19/2/17 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Leaving the car ticking over on the drive yesterday made me realise how vital some bonnet vents are. With the bonnet off it sat happily at about 80 to 85deg with the fan cutting in and out. When I put the bonnet on it crept up to 95deg and the fan was running permanently. I'm using the bigger 1.6 VW Polo rad but only time will tell if this is going to be up to the job.
CTLeeds

posted on 19/2/17 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
I'd wondered if you were going to cut a hole in the bonnet scoop? The Rush I'm building has this scoop and also has flared wings which will hopefully get rid of some of the heat when stationary.

Good to hear it's a bit of a handful!

Cheers,

Chris

Nickp

posted on 19/2/17 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'd wondered if you were going to cut a hole in the bonnet scoop? The Rush I'm building has this scoop and also has flared wings which will hopefully get rid of some of the heat when stationary.

Good to hear it's a bit of a handful!

Cheers,

Chris

I've cut a hole in the front of the scoop now to let air in when moving but it needs some bigger vents to the rear of the bonnet to let the hot air out.

PGD

posted on 20/2/17 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Superb build, well done! Would be good to see it sometime, I'm pretty local in Ossett, Wakefield..
Nickp

posted on 20/2/17 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PGD
Superb build, well done! Would be good to see it sometime, I'm pretty local in Ossett, Wakefield..

Cheers fella, I'm quite pleased for a first attempt

You're welcome to come take a look or can meet up sometime once I'm roadworthy.

gary gsx

posted on 20/2/17 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'll second that that's a superb looking build and I bet it's going to be stupidly quick.

Great stuff

Garf

dmrider_10

posted on 22/2/17 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic looking build! Very surprised at the cost being 5k, that actually has me thiinking! Was the chassis bought off here/ebay etc?
Ben_Copeland

posted on 22/2/17 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Still struggle to get air into mine !

Description
Description

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Nickp

posted on 22/2/17 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dmrider_10
Fantastic looking build! Very surprised at the cost being 5k, that actually has me thiinking! Was the chassis bought off here/ebay etc?

Off a mate actually who realised he'd never get it done. Came with loadsa good bits too

Nickp

posted on 22/2/17 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Still struggle to get air into mine !

Description
Description

You've got turbo heat though Ben. Hopefully mine won't be so bad, I've got the manifolds wrapped too. Deffo need to get the hot air out once it's passed the IVA

Ben_Copeland

posted on 22/2/17 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah and the turbos soon to double in physical size

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.