Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Haynes BMW 6pot build back on, at last!!
Nickp

posted on 22/3/16 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Bulkhead panels now in place-

CTLeeds

posted on 22/3/16 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good Nick, nearly there!
Nickp

posted on 22/3/16 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CTLeeds
Looking good Nick, nearly there!

I wish mate!!

Nickp

posted on 30/3/16 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Started mocking up the exhaust today. Pig of a job TBH, but if it was easy everyone would be doing it

Bit close to the master cylinders etc, but nothing a heat shield and some heat wrap can't sort I reckon.

Nickp

posted on 7/4/16 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
Manifolds and downpipe all tacked in place. Just need a Sports Cat to go between this and the silencer.

Nickp

posted on 2/11/16 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Serious lack of updates on here on my part I'm afraid but I have been steadily beavering away and this is where the build's at now-

Next major hurdle is the wiring!! Loom's all laid out just need to start connecting stuff and apply some power!!

Exhaust is the only other big job I think

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 2/11/16 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Good to see you still going at it mate, it looks very nice!

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Nickp

posted on 3/11/16 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
Good to see you still going at it mate, it looks very nice!

Thanks mate, it's getting there. Hopefully it'll be finished off over the winter #famouslastwords

Rosco86

posted on 3/11/16 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
looking good, nice and tidy, where did you get that aero screen from?

My Build Thread

Nickp

posted on 4/11/16 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86
looking good, nice and tidy, where did you get that aero screen from?

Cheers fella, it's not as tidy as yours but not too bad for a lad in a shed

The aero screen was 2nd hand off a member on here IIRC, no idea where it was bought new tbh.

Nickp

posted on 16/11/16 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Been busy working and buying / tinkering with the RX8 track toy but got into the garage for a bit tonight.

Cat' and silencer trial fitted and tacked in place-

SteveWallace

posted on 17/11/16 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
That's looking really nice. A brief observation, but I'm sure that you have it in hand - the end of your exhaust system doesn't look like it has a rolled edge, that would be an IVA fail. Also, watch how you position the mounting clamps for the same reason.

BTW I must make more effort to get to some track days next year, unfortunately, all of the LCB Blyton ones this year fell on days that I couldn't make.

Nickp

posted on 18/11/16 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
That's looking really nice. A brief observation, but I'm sure that you have it in hand - the end of your exhaust system doesn't look like it has a rolled edge, that would be an IVA fail. Also, watch how you position the mounting clamps for the same reason.

BTW I must make more effort to get to some track days next year, unfortunately, all of the LCB Blyton ones this year fell on days that I couldn't make.

Cheers Steve, yes it will be getting a rolled edge and the joints will just be welded to get through the IVA. This was just to get something on there ready for the big fire up

Nickp

posted on 8/12/16 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
IT'S ALIVE!!

[IMG]http://i723.photobucket.com/ albums/ww236/enicpic/th_15137823_214395992347877_2159729325610369024_n_zpsdv24sgra.mp4[/IMG]

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 8/12/16 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Nice

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Toprivetguns

posted on 9/12/16 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
Keep going. Book an IVA date and it will give you something to aim for.

Looks great !

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

Nickp

posted on 9/12/16 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns
Keep going. Book an IVA date and it will give you something to aim for.

Looks great !

Thanks, there's still a lot of 'finishing off' to do. Looking at a spring IVA, what is the waiting time? Or does it vary depending on where it's done? Is there a current list of testing stations?

Nickp

posted on 9/12/16 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
Nice

Started first time once I'd realised I had a 'spare' relay socket and a 'spare' relay In my defence the engine / loom did come out of the donor about 18mths ago.

The fuel pumps were priming when the ignition went on must must've stopped when cranking. After some fuel pump testing I realised something else was wrong, popped in a spare relay to try and VRRROOOMMMMM!!

Nickp

posted on 9/12/16 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a pretty major panic on today. Let engine warm up a bit after last nights brief start up. As it warmed it started ticking and squealing which then turned into a full on knock!! I had visions of having to remove the sump, which is basically an engine out job and a major PITA in such a tight chassis. However, a mate with experience on this engine (in his E30) came to the rescue by asking if I'd removed the A/C pulley off the main crank pulley but used the same bolts? Turned out I had and as it warmed each bolt end just clipped the timing cover and sounded horrendous. I knew it wasn't big ends but it sounded very similar tbh. I suppose it would've eventually cleared itself as the ally cover wore away but it was much easier to grind a couple of mm's off each bolt. PHEW!!

Sounds sweet as a nut now and has a lovely bass note to the 2.5" single silencer

[Edited on 9/12/16 by Nickp]

Charlie C

posted on 10/12/16 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Just as a heads up my roadster has a simular obp brake res bracket as yours and it failed it's iva a couple of weeks ago because the examiner said it wasn't strong enough. All I needed to do was to add a couple of support brakets at either end.

[Edited on 10/12/16 by Charlie C]

Nickp

posted on 10/12/16 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie C
Hi

Just as a heads up my roadster has a simular obp brake res bracket as yours and it failed it's iva a couple of weeks ago because the examiner said it wasn't strong enough. All I needs to do was to a a couple of support brakets at eithe end.

Not strong enough to support the reservoirs it's design to support? Really? Pretty sure mine's stainless and pretty thick stuff at that.
Not something I'd even considered to be an issue but thanks for the heads up

Nickp

posted on 15/12/16 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Cracking on with the electrics now. Front lights all working from stalks. Engine starts on the key, which is part of the issue as I can't resist firing it up every time I go in as it sounds soooo sweeeet!!

[IMG]http://i723.photobucket.com /albums/ww236/enicpic/th_15531885_1729071057419571_4263993211631960064_n_zpszmalydfh.mp4[/IMG]

CTLeeds

posted on 16/12/16 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
Just had a pretty major panic on today. Let engine warm up a bit after last nights brief start up. As it warmed it started ticking and squealing which then turned into a full on knock!! I had visions of having to remove the sump, which is basically an engine out job and a major PITA in such a tight chassis. However, a mate with experience on this engine (in his E30) came to the rescue by asking if I'd removed the A/C pulley off the main crank pulley but used the same bolts? Turned out I had and as it warmed each bolt end just clipped the timing cover and sounded horrendous. I knew it wasn't big ends but it sounded very similar tbh. I suppose it would've eventually cleared itself as the ally cover wore away but it was much easier to grind a couple of mm's off each bolt. PHEW!!

Sounds sweet as a nut now and has a lovely bass note to the 2.5" single silencer

Good info Nick. I've done exactly the same and I'm close to firing mine up as well! I guess I'll get the bolts out and shorten them a tads.

Thanks

Chris

rodgling

posted on 16/12/16 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
It is a nice sounding engine... have you tried firing it up without a silencer at all? It sounds brilliant, if a little loud.

FWIW I had major difficulties passing noise tests on trackdays until I fitted a second silencer under the fuel tank, this is something to consider if you want to do trackdays.

Nickp

posted on 16/12/16 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CTLeeds
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp

Good info Nick. I've done exactly the same and I'm close to firing mine up as well! I guess I'll get the bolts out and shorten them a tads.

Thanks

Chris

Ha ha, nice one!! Yeah they only need a couple of mm grinding off 'em

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.