Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Petition against the banning of petrol and diesel
coyoteboy

posted on 5/4/23 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
ahh I call total BS on all you haters, stop pretending and just get an EV, we know you really want one

Just go Bruuumm Bruumm if you still like engine noises! although I like the Batmobile noise they make

I have an work colleague who bitches all the time about EV's blah blah blah but when to get to the reason it's just because he parks on a street and can't charge it lol

&#128514; I hate the noises they make, or don't make! In NL they're very common and if you're in a car park you have to be super vigilant or you run over in a heartbeat because they're so quiet. Had a few near misses.

But what stops me is their price. It's mental. But I find new cars mental in general. I always buy 3k used cars, I've no interest in spending 3/4/500 a month on a car that doesn't do the things my 3k car does.

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/4/23 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:
ahh I call total BS on all you haters, stop pretending and just get an EV, we know you really want one

Just go Bruuumm Bruumm if you still like engine noises! although I like the Batmobile noise they make

I have an work colleague who bitches all the time about EV's blah blah blah but when to get to the reason it's just because he parks on a street and can't charge it lol

If I wanted one I'd buy one. Charging would be no problem, but I really don't like them. Once charging is under 10 mins though then a different matter.

[Edited on 5/4/23 by SJ]

Everyday charging takes around 30 seconds.

15 to plug it in, 15 to unplug. Charges overnight when I'm not using it and have a full battery in the morning. Really for a 30 mile daily commute mine only needs charged every third day which works out about 1 and half minutes per week. My Fiesta lasts about two weeks on a tank of fuel to do the same trip and it takes about 10 mins to fuel that up (plus the time to go to the petrol station as I don't have one of those at home). So the EV is roughly 3 times faster to refuel than petrol but probably a lot more.

When you own and use an EV you start to realise that a lot of the arguments against them seem totally daft.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 5/4/23 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

When you own and use an EV you start to realise that a lot of the arguments against them seem totally daft.

Not really, no one cares about the daily charging. Anyone who cares about charging is going to be someone who does long trips, not someone who uses it for a piffling commute.

That's very much an oversimplification for a single use case, and while it's a use case most people will have most of the time, that still means you need two cars, or to rent one at the current crazy prices.

It doesn't work for everyone. I'd encourage people to see if it works for them though, as I'm sure it does in many cases.

SJ

posted on 6/4/23 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

Not really, no one cares about the daily charging. Anyone who cares about charging is going to be someone who does long trips, not someone who uses it for a piffling commute.

That's very much an oversimplification for a single use case, and while it's a use case most people will have most of the time, that still means you need two cars, or to rent one at the current crazy prices.

It doesn't work for everyone. I'd encourage people to see if it works for them though, as I'm sure it does in many cases.

I agree, they are great for local use, electric bikes/ motorbikes even more so. I don't commute but often need to do 400 miles in as few hours as possible so electric would be a struggle.

David Jenkins

posted on 6/4/23 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I should add that a couple of years ago I drove from home in Suffolk to visit friends on the Isle of Skye, then on to see my brother in Dornoch (way north of Inverness!), generally touring around, then home. A round trip of about 1500 miles in 2 weeks in my Kia Niro EV.

Rapid charging mostly went ok, but many of the chargers in Scotland were faulty - got a little stressful at times, although we never ran out anywhere. To be precise, most of the Chargeplace Scotland chargers were rubbish, those run by proper organisations (e.g. BP Pulse) were mostly good, sometimes extremely good.

We often drive down to Gloucester - we prefer to go across country 'cos motorways are boring, so we stop for a pee and food break in Milton Keynes, where there are LOTS of rapid chargers. By the time the car is charged enough for the rest of the journey (really it's just a peace-of-mind top-up) we are fed and watered. The cost of electricity on rapid chargers for these long journeys is much the same as the petrol we would have used in an ICE car.

EVs don't suit everyone - they never will - but they are good for my normal use, and our occasional long trips.

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/4/23 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
The whole banning of new combustion cars doesn't matter anyway as cars last at least 20 years, so those who need them for specific uses such as towing or long journeys have loads of second hand ones to pick from and by the time those are no longer available, EV's will be at such a level that they will out class the anything else in every aspect. Tesla might even have self driving working by then

If an EV suits your needs I'd say get one, if not don't. It's that simple.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.