Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel prices
sonic

posted on 25/3/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Do MK and MNR make bikes Graham

Maybe we could start a Kitbike company and you could do the welding!!!!

HaHa

speedyxjs

posted on 25/3/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sonic
I like the idea of boycotting the certain garages but with respect a few hundred Locosters isnt going to make the Sh-t them selves.

Problem is, that wont change a thing. As has already been said, most of the money goes to the government. All boycotting certain garages would do is give extra business to the other garages but give the government the same amount of money.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

jacko

posted on 25/3/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sonic
Do MK and MNR make bikes Graham

Maybe we could start a Kitbike company and you could do the welding!!!!

HaHa

Got me thinking know

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iDENTITi

posted on 25/3/10 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Guess we could all fit diesels and run them on homemade bio diesel...
Unfortunately using a still to make ethanol is illegal, but i dont think that would stop many..

Or strap a load of big batteries to your car and replace the engine with an electric motor, no tax then either iirc

boggle

posted on 25/3/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
it needs a nationwide push.....

everyone needs to be united!!!!

im going to start a party called the british peoples front!!!!!

whos with me???

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Simon

posted on 25/3/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
It's a supply/demand thing. Nothing more, nothing less...

Bullshite, it's nothing to do with supply/demand and everything to do with taxes and incompetent euro ministers who screw up everything so badly they need to raise tax from any means possible.

Especially the twats in charge of the UK (which subsides half of bloody europe anyway - roll on the referendum)

If the US and Canada can do it so cheap so can we!

Simon

[Edited on 25/3/10 by Simon]

Dave Ashurst

posted on 25/3/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have any idea how expensive petrol is here in the Netherlands??!

UK fuel is cheap.

Simon

posted on 26/3/10 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Dave,

Quick tip

1. Read thread
2. Read my post above and see quote
3. Note quote is from sebastiaan
4. Read sebastiaan's post and see he gives a price for fuel in NL
5. Think again about posting.

I couldn't give a shite about the price of fuel in NL, it just makes them even more gullable than we are..

What I am concerned about is the price discrepancy between UK/Europe average as a whole compared to the US/Can/Aust.

It's down to TAX, nothing else!

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 26/3/10 by Simon]

RK

posted on 26/3/10 at 01:52 AM Reply With Quote
95 cents recently not far from me. Don't come over all at once now!

It is even less in the US, mostly because actually taxing people is seen as antidemocratic, antiGod, etc etc. How would they pay for their bullets if they had to pay tax on anything? Roads, sewers, buses? Manna from heaven of course.

It must be said that our distances are quite large, so you end up paying about the same yearly I'm quite sure.

My question is: how much would you be paying in the UK if there was NO oil burbling out of the North Sea? I shudder.

[Edited on 26/3/10 by RK]

sebastiaan

posted on 26/3/10 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Dude, calm down....

The base price of petrol is based on supply-demand balance (since the oil price is and that evenutally sets the petrol price; together with a load of other parameters that are mostly also suppl-demand based.)

The tax is the tricky bit. Yes, we'd all like to have the streetlights on at night and would like the police to come round when your house has been broken in to / crashed into by a chav in a Saxo. Policemen dont work for free (neither would you, so it's unfair to ask them to!) so there is a need for taxes. The issue you are raising is more on the efficiency of the government, which is certainly a valid one. What can you do about it? VOTE! You still have the privilege to live in a democratic country where you can basically say what you want and choose (in part, that's how democracy works) who runs the country.

So, in short, either vote for someone who you think will clean up shop, run for prime-minister yourself, shut up or move somewhere else. Those are roughly your choices aren't they?

ps. Thanks for calling us gullible. That's really appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Dave,

Quick tip

1. Read thread

I couldn't give a shite about the price of fuel in NL, it just makes them even more gullable than we are..

What I am concerned about is the price discrepancy between UK/Europe average as a whole compared to the US/Can/Aust.

It's down to TAX, nothing else!

ATB

Simon

Brommers

posted on 26/3/10 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Dave,

Quick tip

1. Read thread

Simon,

A few quick tips:

1. Calm down.
2. Go get a refund from the charm school.
3. Go to a different one and try taking the 'Basic courtesy to others' course
4. Buy a dictionary
5. Use it.

Once you've done all that, you could try some counselling for advanced irrational Europhobia.

Liam

posted on 26/3/10 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
ps. Thanks for calling us gullible. That's really appreciated.

Lucky you're not German, Sebastiaan, or Simon might not have been quite so polite.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sebastiaan

posted on 26/3/10 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Good one there!
David Jenkins

posted on 26/3/10 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
It's worth noting that oil is sold in US$, and the UK Pound is dropping rapidly against the $, so we (the country) have to pay more £££ to get a barrel of oil.

So, apart from the government grasping tax off us, the incompetence of said government in balancing the books is also contributing to the recent sudden increase in the cost of fuel.

Simon

posted on 26/3/10 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brommers

Simon,

A few quick tips:

1. Calm down.
2. Go get a refund from the charm school.
3. Go to a different one and try taking the 'Basic courtesy to others' course
4. Buy a dictionary
5. Use it.

Once you've done all that, you could try some counselling for advanced irrational Europhobia.

Nothing in my post was incorrect, it was fact (though it could prob have done with a smiley or two) and afaik there was no use for a dictionary as I have a fairly good spelling (and if that is your reason I suggest you apologise to the dyslexics on here).

I don't have a prob with Europe (I holiday quite regularly in France); the problem is the people over there trying to run over here. I'm not aware of signing up to the United States of Europe).

Sebastiaan,

I'm not having a go at you or the Dutch, I just said "more than the rest of us" . We all guilty of that.

As for taxes, I (like most people) pay a council tax to pay for policing, waste disposal and other local services. I pay national insurance for a "pension" and NHS, and I pay income tax to pay for everything else. I really object to paying about more than £3/gallon in tax on fuel.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't have a prob if you were a German, I just wouldn't buy one of your cars We even have a client who's German. Have another who's Dutch

Anyway, Dave, it was a bit of a rant, so if I upset you I'm sorry.

ATB

Simon

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 26/3/10 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The issue you are raising is more on the efficiency of the government, which is certainly a valid one. What can you do about it? VOTE! You still have the privilege to live in a democratic country where you can basically say what you want and choose (in part, that's how democracy works) who runs the country.

So, in short, either vote for someone who you think will clean up shop, run for prime-minister yourself, shut up or move somewhere else. Those are roughly your choices aren't they?

I'm afraid not... doesn't matter who you vote for over here, they're all as crap as each other. Running for Prime Minister is an impossibility without joining a party, who would never let someone who doesn't "tow the line" get to such a position. So basically no matter what you do, the status quo is maintained.
And for all its faults, I still love this country. For the life of me I don't know why sometimes, but I'm a stubborn bastard and aint moving

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

britishtrident

posted on 26/3/10 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I get a warm smug feeling every week when I fill my tank with LPG and get change fom 30 quid.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

sonic

posted on 26/3/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
And i bet if we all got gas converted the price of gas would be £5.00 a gallon within a month,and they would bull---t there way into justifying why!!
morcus

posted on 26/3/10 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
The government has been saying for years that when LPG usage goes above a certain level it will start being taxed as much as petrol.
The government gets so much revenue from Fuel duty (And all the other taxes foisted on the motorist) that noone is going to offer cuts on it and all parties have long term plans to make motoring more expensive. If the majority of people pick up on any fuel they will tax it heavilly, and charge us Tax on that tax that we'll pay with money we've already payed tax on.
The only way to avoid it is to be different and use a fuel noone else is using.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Simon

posted on 26/3/10 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
As soon as they figure a way to tax you for breathing, it'll be done.

Still at least they can't put a dye in electricity so if you're bright enough you can make your own for the electric cars we'll all be driving.

ATB

Simon

sonic

posted on 26/3/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I don't understand the electric car thing either!

So we all by an Electric car,where does the Electric come from?

Power stations which are widley known to be the biggest poluter on the planet.

So more demand for Electric mean more power station etc etc

Doesnt make sence to me, Sorry

morcus

posted on 26/3/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
exactly, and its the same for all fuel sources. Your either burning carbon from the ground or using something that resulted from the same process (Most hydrogen is created with electricity and it takes more power to make it than it produces. Its all a con to guilt people into giving money to someone else, just like carbon offsetting, the enviromental arguement for buses and everything else.

RK

posted on 26/3/10 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Well, it seems as if the oil companies have done a good job convincing people that prices of petrol are all the government's fault. Did you know that Albertans pay about the same as all the other residents of all the other provinces for fuel? And they have NO provincial taxes on it! So who is to blame for that one? Yes, that is the biggest oil producer in Canada.

Used to be that natural gas for heating was cheap til everyone started getting natural gas furnaces. Then it went HIGHER than heating oil. They're all b###stds.

There is no reason people can't reduce consumption or use alternative sources of energy. Wind is pretty plentiful for generating wattage for your new cars. Just put a windmill in front of Downing Street and you've got enough for the Beautiful South!

morcus

posted on 27/3/10 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Wind farms are pretty useless in the UK, most of the country isn't windy enough and even at full pelt a wind turbine doesn't make much power, also wind gives it metal fatigure so they don't last very long and cost an absolute fortune. You can buy a little wind generator that they install on your house, but in London it would take a thousand years to pay for itself (Was on BBC a few years ago).

Nuclear power is the only viable energy source that doesn't use fossil fuels but people are afraid of it so its not used.

zilspeed

posted on 27/3/10 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
exactly, and its the same for all fuel sources. Your either burning carbon from the ground or using something that resulted from the same process (Most hydrogen is created with electricity and it takes more power to make it than it produces. Its all a con to guilt people into giving money to someone else, just like carbon offsetting, the enviromental arguement for buses and everything else.

My understanding is that this is not always the case

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.